Seeking Steel Road Bike Advice

ericking

Apr 22, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but wanted to ask for some advice on buying a steel road bike. I'm planning on visiting some different local shops here in Portland, OR this weekend to test some bikes out, but wanted to ask some questions here first.

I'm looking for something that's priced around $800 - $1100. I want a steel frame that has enough tire clearance for fenders or maybe larger tires at some point. I'll mostly be using this bike to commute to work daily (lots of hills) and for long weekend rides.

Here are some bikes I've been doing research on. Let me know what you think of them and if you have any other suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Surly Pacer (complete bike).

- Surly Pacer
- Salsa Casseroll
- Raleigh Clubman
- Kona Honky Tonk
- Jamis Satellite
- Masi Randonneur
- Bianchi Brava

Thanks!

The Masi (in burgundy) is a gorgeous commuter bike and has the best components of all the other bikes you listed. Though with only a double crankset, it might not be ideal for long climbs.

FWIW. I would get the base model of the JAMIS CODA ... only $550 MSRP, ready to ride with good-enough components.

I would then change/upgrade parts on an as-needed or as-desired basis ...

That is, I would probably put some Drop bars + Campagnolo shifters + possibly a different crank & BB on the frame at some point in time.