Seeking the most breathable rainjacket

Mark H.

Guest
Greetings!

May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
lightweight rain jacket?

I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
Grail?

All assistance and admonishments welcome.

T.I.A..
Mark

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:08:22 GMT, "Mark H." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
>lightweight rain jacket?
>
>I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
>promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
>does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
>resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?
>
>I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
>clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
>Grail?
>
>All assistance and admonishments welcome.
>
>T.I.A..
>Mark

Might seem strange but...

I actually use a womans gortex jacket(probably intended for
hillwaking).

Doesnt bother me that it buttons up the wrong side. It was very cheap
(40ukp, around 60 dollars) in an end of line sale and as it is cut for
a woman its nice and trim so doesnt flap around in the wind.

Obviously very waterproof and I dont sweat like a pig in it which is
more than I can say about my non gortex but alledgely breathable
waterproof trousers.
--
Mike.
Some mountain photos, bad html

"Mark H." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?

Breathable fabrics aren't. Get a jacket with vents if you want to use it in
the rain. Also, get one that fits snuggly so fabric doesn't flap around and
let rain in. I like Sugoi's products; those Canadians know how to deal with
rain. They fit more snuggly than some other brands, which I like, but others
may not.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: make your own from material found at wyeeast fabrics
: buy one from campmor.com
: get a loan and buy one from colorado cyclist

I googled wyeeast fabrics and didn't find anything. can you be more
specific?
:

Mark H? writes:

> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?

> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno
> fabrics are promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable
> than others, but what does that mean? If a fabric is really
> waterproof, not merely water resistant, how much breathability can
> it have? Or can it?

All this breathability is a sham if you ride hard. When cold outside
and riding hard, the steam inside the jacket will condense on the
inside and give you a wet jacket. In rain it needs to be zipped up
but while climbing it can be open as you bend over with no rain getting
in.

> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't
> feel clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking
> the Holy Grail?

Get a parka with a sinchable hood because that is what you'll need
descending in rain or snow. In fact without a hood, descending larger
hills in the cold becomes impossible. It was one thing that enables
Andy Hampsten to pass frozen riders on his victory in the G d'I over
the Gavia Pass in the snow.

Such parkas are not sold in bicycle shops, but outdoor stores have
them and they are lightweight. Don't get Gore-tex, it doesn't dry
well and it's breathability is useless for a rider on a climb. It
gets wet inside and out and stays that way for the rest of the day.

I've tried them all.

[email protected]

Mark H? writes:

> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?

> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno
> fabrics are promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable
> than others, but what does that mean? If a fabric is really
> waterproof, not merely water resistant, how much breathability can
> it have? Or can it?

All this breathability is a sham if you ride hard. When cold outside
and riding hard, the steam inside the jacket will condense on the
inside and give you a wet jacket. In rain it needs to be zipped up
but while climbing it can be open as you bend over with no rain getting
in.

> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't
> feel clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking
> the Holy Grail?

Get a parka with a sinchable hood because that is what you'll need
descending in rain or snow. In fact without a hood, descending larger
hills in the cold becomes impossible. It was one thing that enables
Andy Hampsten to pass frozen riders on his victory in the G d'I over
the Gavia Pass in the snow.

Such parkas are not sold in bicycle shops, but outdoor stores have
them and they are lightweight. Don't get Gore-tex, it doesn't dry
well and it's breathability is useless for a rider on a climb. It
gets wet inside and out and stays that way for the rest of the day.

I've tried them all.

[email protected]

"Mark H." <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings!
>
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?
>
> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
> promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but

what
> does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
> resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?
>
> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
> clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
> Grail?
>
> All assistance and admonishments welcome.
>
> T.I.A..
> Mark

eVENT fabric from 66 North in Iceland. A jacket of the stuff will run you
about the price of a r/t ticket to Iceland from the east coast (off season).

technical sales pitch-
http://www.66north.com/default.asp?view=1&page_id=3418

Mark H. wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?
>
> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
> promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but what
> does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
> resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?
>
> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
> clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking the Holy
> Grail?

Depends on how much you sweat. I find membrane fabrics (Gore-tex)
useless for cycling, but very nice for walking in the rain.

"Mark H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings!
>
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most

"breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?
>
> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno

fabrics are
> promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than

others, but what
> does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely

water
> resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?
>
> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I

don't feel
> clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking

the Holy
> Grail?
>
> All assistance and admonishments welcome.

Venting and tailoring are what matter and not the magical fabric.
I also think it is more important to pick a good undershirt and
jersey than the perfect jacket because no matter what jacket you
own, you are going to get wet (from the inside or the outside)
after enough time. The trick is to get layers that will dry
quickly and keep you warm when wet. If you are riding in mild
but wet weather, consider one of the mid-weight windstopper foul
weather jerseys (Assos, ExteOndo, Castelli, etc.). Good
breathability and no flapping, but only water resistant -- but
with the right undershirt, you stay relatively comfortable even
when you are wet. -- Jay Beattie.

Mark H. asked:

> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most
> "breathable" lightweight rain jacket?

I like the Helly Hansen "Packable Jacket" best:

http://www.hellyhansenclothing.com/

Mark H. wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?

I really like the Burley Rapid Rider. Of course, it was discontinued.
Burley may have replaced it with something. This jacket is NOT
breathable. In my experience none of the breathable fabrics work for
cycling. Of course, there're "new" ones out all the time. Just read
any outdoorsey web site, and if you believe the ad copy -- they have
just come out with the perfect thing. The Burley works so well because
of its excellent venting system: long pit zips, zips across the chest,
and a vented back. My second choice is a cheap nylon hooded jacket.
I, surprisingly, got one I like from Performance. It has vented pits,
and folds into a zippered pocket in the back.

Regards,
Larry

Mark H. wrote:

>If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
> resistant, how much breathability can it have?

None worth any athlete's money. First of all, when warm and active, you
sweat liquid water in addition to water vapour. So what you need is not
a breathable fabric, but a drain pipe. Second, for the water vapour,
you need a fan or AC, not a fabric that breathes a few molecules in and
out. Third, when liquid water lands on the jacket from the outside, it
forms an airproof layer which renders any breathability that the fabric
might have had, null. Gore-Tex seems to succeed to some people because
it is multi-layer, and the inner layer or layers have a low thermal
conductivity, and therefore condensation is reduced at that interface.
The teflon membrane (the Gore-Tex itself) has nothing to do with it.

For summer wear, your best bet is something with lots of ventilation:
underarm zippers and two way front zipper, back vents or shoulder vents
also help. Most outdoor-type parkas have a snap-over flap as well, and
for better ventilation you can use the snaps without the zipper.

The key is also what you wear underneath the shell: something that
handles water well, like wool or synthetics, or yes, even cotton in
some forms (stretchy knit) for shorter rides. So, a wool or synthetic
thin jersey, or possibly a stretch-knit cotton T-shirt, underneath a
waterproof or highly water resistant outer layer, highly vented, is the
best for warmer weather. For colder, long sleeve wool or sythetic
jersey, or wool sweater or pile/fleece jacket under the shell. These
have low thermal conductivity and are highly water repellent as well,
so even if the jacket is only highly water resistant, they will not
absorb much.

> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't feel
> clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace.

The clamminess comes from what you are wearing next to your skin, not
the shell. Try wool or Lifa-type- not lycra/spandex, which is clammy
even without the shell, in dry weather. The appearance of condensation
on the inside of the shell is affected only by the thermal conductivity
of the fabric, not its "breathability"; then, by any wicking action to
spread the liquid water out and get it away from the inside.

"Mark H." wrote:
> May I have some recommendations for the absolutely most "breathable"
> lightweight rain jacket?
>
> I don't know if there really is such a thing. Most all techno fabrics are
> promoted now as breathable, some claim more breathable than others, but
> what does that mean? If a fabric is really waterproof, not merely water
> resistant, how much breathability can it have? Or can it?

Anything truly "waterproof" can't be breathable. There's always a tradeoff
between breathability and water resistance. I don't think there is any water
resistant fabric (including Gortex) that breathes well enough to keep a
cyclist riding moderately hard from getting clammy. Look for jackets with
vented backs and arm pits.

In warm weather, it might be better to get wet from the rain, than wet and
overheated from wearing rain gear. Either that or slow down to the point
where you're not generating much body heat.

Art Harris

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:18:27 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

>> I'd like to have a lightweight rain jacket/shell in which I don't
>> feel clammy when cycling distances at a modest pace. Am I seeking
>> the Holy Grail?

>Get a parka with a sinchable hood because that is what you'll need
>descending in rain or snow. In fact without a hood, descending larger
>hills in the cold becomes impossible. It was one thing that enables
>Andy Hampsten to pass frozen riders on his victory in the G d'I over
>the Gavia Pass in the snow.
>
>Such parkas are not sold in bicycle shops, but outdoor stores have
>them and they are lightweight. Don't get Gore-tex, it doesn't dry
>well and it's breathability is useless for a rider on a climb. It
>gets wet inside and out and stays that way for the rest of the day.

I just got an REI E1 Elements jacket, which in addition to meeting
Jobst's criteria also has zippers in the underarm area. While I bought
it primarily for hiking/backpacking, it looks like a good bet for wet
weather cycling also.

> Don't get Gore-tex, it doesn't dry
> well and it's breathability is useless for a rider on a climb. It
> gets wet inside and out and stays that way for the rest of the day.
>
> I've tried them all.
>
> [email protected]

I agree on the Gore-Tex limits of breathability. There's no way it's
going to breath enough for intense efforts. But aren't you attributing
poor fabric properties (not drying out) to Gore-Tex, when it has nothing
to do with them?

Find a true Gore-Tex shell, without soft surface fabric or liner and try
drying it. I've found they dry out plenty quick, but then again they
"breath" even less than the jackets that have a more porous fabric that
you seem to refer to above.

In any case, I don't expect Gore-Tex to keep me dry on a climb, either.

Jan Lindström