seeking trailer-compatible kickstand for bike with chainstay-mounted rear brake

Thomas Lynn Ske

Guest
I'm looking for a kickstand that will work in the following
(apparently rare) situation. The bike has the rear brake
mounted on the chainstay near the bottom bracket. It has no
kickstand plate. The couple of typical kickstands that we've
looked at can't be installed there. The other kickstand
option that I'm familiar with involves mounting the
kickstand to the chainstay and seatstay. This interferes
with the connection of the trailer. Another kickstand I've
"heard tell of" (and have never seen "on the hoof") would
mount only to the chainstay; this one looks like it would
still interfere with the trailer OR it would exert too much
pressure on the chainstay (i.e. with only the one area of
contact, either the area would be too small, in a place not
designed to bear the force, or would interfere with the
trailer). Yet another kickstand design I'm aware of would
mount to the rear axle, though I'm unsure as to whether it
will interfere with the trailer connection or the trailer
operation (when not deployed, how likely would it be to
impact the trailer's arm during a right turn?).

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone out there has addressed
this situation and has any suggestions on what to do. For
the record, solutions which are, say, over $100 are not
really practical for us since $200 would likely buy a
reasonable bike that would probably not be as well-built but
would certainly be newer (this one is 14 years old) and
probably ride okay for 'round-town stuff. (Solutions
approaching $100 may also not be practical, but I'm not
willing to rule them out up front.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Yours, Thomas Lynn Skean

[email protected] (Thomas Lynn Skean) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking for a kickstand that will work in the
> following (apparently rare) situation.
<snip>

> Thanks for any info you can provide!
>
> Yours, Thomas Lynn Skean

Recumbent folks like their kickstands. Take a look here: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-
bin/search.pl?category=205000 and see if any of them will
work for you.

Jeff