Seen on today's ride

Brian G

Guest
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...
--
Brian G

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of foliage
> and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier to spot.
> Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute swans, roe
> deer, stoat ...

Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
trolley...

Simon in east Hull's badlands.

Brian G wrote:
> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
town.

MartinM wrote:

> I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
> town.

In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
them.

John B

Brian G wrote:
> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
see sod all...

Pete White wrote:
> Brian G wrote:
>> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
>> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much
>> easier to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron,
>> kestrel, mute swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
> see sod all...

I saw lots of joggers out today - must be approaching another London
Marathon. Today was one of those damp cold days and I had to break out
the extra strength winter gloves.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

John B wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
> > town.

> In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
shot on the same Saturday every year.

> If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
> them.

with guns? you're brave ;-)

"MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

> Brian G wrote:
> > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
> town.

I didn't go anywhere but saw a large fox amble languidly from my
next-door neighbour's garden to mine and back again.

Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep - literally?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

in message <[email protected]>,
MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

> John B wrote:
>> MartinM wrote:
>>
>> > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is
>> > just as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically
>> > placed around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same
>> > part of the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know,
>> > I'm from a town.

>> In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

> sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
> I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
> shot on the same Saturday every year.

Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

Simon Mason wrote:

> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
>> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
>> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
>> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
> trolley...
>
> Simon in east Hull's badlands.

Seagulls, pigeons, rabbits, deer, dead foxes, two thereof. All part of the
scenery on today's 80 miler in deepest South Hampshire.
--
Chris

Osborn's Law:
Variables won't; constants aren't.

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> to spot.

Also makes all the discarded ****: bottles, fast food containers, cans etc
more visible on the verges, during summer only larger items like fridges and
bath tubs are visible :-(
But, not to be a miserable git, I took my shiney bike out for a 40 miler
yesterday looping through the quiet lanes of east Leicestershire to Eyebrook
reservoir and back, it felt quite springlike, very pleasant, nothing
remarkable to comment on, just nice.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

Simon Mason wrote:
> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of foliage
> > and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier to spot.
> > Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute swans, roe
> > deer, stoat ...

> Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
> trolley...
>
> Simon in east Hull's badlands.

The only interesting thing I saw in 100km was a dead cat at Sherburn in
Elmet.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
> > shot on the same Saturday every year.

> Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

I think they were probably the ones with guns

Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep -
literally?

Where's the fun in that?

"MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > in message <[email protected]>,
> > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
> > > shot on the same Saturday every year.

> > Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

> I think they were probably the ones with guns

> Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep -
> literally?

> Where's the fun in that?

They are great fun to watch, are your urban foxes. I have watched them
at all hours of the day and night, I have watched a mother and 4 cubs
chasing and playing, all from the comfort of my own home...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
>> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
>> to spot.

> Also makes all the discarded ****: bottles, fast food containers, cans etc
> more visible on the verges, during summer only larger items like fridges
> and
> bath tubs are visible :-(
> But, not to be a miserable git, I took my shiney bike out for a 40 miler
> yesterday looping through the quiet lanes of east Leicestershire to
> Eyebrook
> reservoir and back, it felt quite springlike, very pleasant, nothing
> remarkable to comment on, just nice.
> --
> Pete
> http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

Yesterday,as I did a gentle 25 miles in afternoon sunshine, for some reason
I started counting the items of litter in the verge ( just my side of the
road) -- mainly plastic bottles, beer and coke cans and cigarette packets.
Now I obviously didn't make this anywhere near an accurate count but as it
went on, for about 2 1/2 miles, along a country B road I was more and more
disgusted. The count when I stopped it stood at 460 items.
I don't normally cycle along doing this sort of thing and I don't know why I
started doing it but it was such a nice afternoon and was, to a certain
extent, spoiled by all this litter which originated from motor vehicles.
On my tours in Europe I have found Germany and Austria to have the cleanest
roads and verges, France can be a bit scruffy at times but nowhere is a bad
as dirty old England.
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G (junk@ardo-
howe.co.uk) wrote:
> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

Wot? No dead badger?

Murdock's Gardening Law: If it's green, the paving isn't finished yet.

In article <[email protected]>,
MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

> Brian G wrote:
> > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
> town.

I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with a
white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
surrender.

'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
> >
> > Brian G wrote:
> > > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> > > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> > > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> > > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
> > town.

> I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with a
> white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
> posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
> surrender.
>
> 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
> some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
> was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

I think (from last time) that the peasants are merely there to jivvy
the feathered friends (who have probably been fed sleeping tablet-laced
grapes the day before as in the Roald Dahl story) out of cover at
exactly the right moment for the toffs who just happen by co-incidence
to be standing waiting with 12 bore cocked (but what would I know?).

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brian G (junk@ardo-
> howe.co.uk) wrote:
>> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
>> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
>> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
>> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> Wot? No dead badger?

Strewth! Here am I trying to raise the tone a bit with a lyrical account
of my communing with nature and all you lot can report spotting is
fly-tipping and roadkill. I hereby claim this week's moral high ground.

--
Brian G

Dave Larrington wrote:

> 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
> some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
> was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

They like to wait until they can see the whites of your eyes, so
Oakleys suddenly seem good value for money.

--
Dave...