Seen on today's ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Brian G, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    swans, roe deer, stoat ...
    --
    Brian G

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of foliage
    > and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier to spot.
    > Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute swans, roe
    > deer, stoat ...

    Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
    trolley...

    Simon in east Hull's badlands.

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    town.

  4. John B

    John B Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    > town.

    In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

    If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
    them.

    John B

  5. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
    see sod all...

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete White wrote:
    > Brian G wrote:
    >> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    >> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much
    >> easier to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron,
    >> kestrel, mute swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
    > see sod all...

    I saw lots of joggers out today - must be approaching another London
    Marathon. Today was one of those damp cold days and I had to break out
    the extra strength winter gloves.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    John B wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    > > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    > > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    > > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    > > town.

    > In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

    sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
    I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
    shot on the same Saturday every year.

    > If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
    > them.

    with guns? you're brave ;-)

  8. "MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

    > Brian G wrote:
    > > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    > town.

    I didn't go anywhere but saw a large fox amble languidly from my
    next-door neighbour's garden to mine and back again.

    Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep - literally?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > John B wrote:
    >> MartinM wrote:
    >>
    >> > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is
    >> > just as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically
    >> > placed around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same
    >> > part of the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know,
    >> > I'm from a town.

    >> In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

    > sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
    > I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
    > shot on the same Saturday every year.

    Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

  10. Chris Slade

    Chris Slade Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    >> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    >> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    >> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
    > trolley...
    >
    > Simon in east Hull's badlands.

    Seagulls, pigeons, rabbits, deer, dead foxes, two thereof. All part of the
    scenery on today's 80 miler in deepest South Hampshire.
    --
    Chris

    Osborn's Law:
    Variables won't; constants aren't.

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > to spot.

    Also makes all the discarded crap: bottles, fast food containers, cans etc
    more visible on the verges, during summer only larger items like fridges and
    bath tubs are visible :-(
    But, not to be a miserable git, I took my shiney bike out for a 40 miler
    yesterday looping through the quiet lanes of east Leicestershire to Eyebrook
    reservoir and back, it felt quite springlike, very pleasant, nothing
    remarkable to comment on, just nice.
    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  12. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of foliage
    > > and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier to spot.
    > > Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute swans, roe
    > > deer, stoat ...

    > Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
    > trolley...
    >
    > Simon in east Hull's badlands.

    The only interesting thing I saw in 100km was a dead cat at Sherburn in
    Elmet.

  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
    > > shot on the same Saturday every year.

    > Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

    I think they were probably the ones with guns

    Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep -
    literally?

    Where's the fun in that?

  14. "MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    > > in message <[email protected]>,
    > > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
    > > > shot on the same Saturday every year.

    > > Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

    > I think they were probably the ones with guns

    > Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep -
    > literally?

    > Where's the fun in that?

    They are great fun to watch, are your urban foxes. I have watched them
    at all hours of the day and night, I have watched a mother and 4 cubs
    chasing and playing, all from the comfort of my own home...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  15. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    >> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    >> to spot.

    > Also makes all the discarded crap: bottles, fast food containers, cans etc
    > more visible on the verges, during summer only larger items like fridges
    > and
    > bath tubs are visible :-(
    > But, not to be a miserable git, I took my shiney bike out for a 40 miler
    > yesterday looping through the quiet lanes of east Leicestershire to
    > Eyebrook
    > reservoir and back, it felt quite springlike, very pleasant, nothing
    > remarkable to comment on, just nice.
    > --
    > Pete
    > http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

    Yesterday,as I did a gentle 25 miles in afternoon sunshine, for some reason
    I started counting the items of litter in the verge ( just my side of the
    road) -- mainly plastic bottles, beer and coke cans and cigarette packets.
    Now I obviously didn't make this anywhere near an accurate count but as it
    went on, for about 2 1/2 miles, along a country B road I was more and more
    disgusted. The count when I stopped it stood at 460 items.
    I don't normally cycle along doing this sort of thing and I don't know why I
    started doing it but it was such a nice afternoon and was, to a certain
    extent, spoiled by all this litter which originated from motor vehicles.
    On my tours in Europe I have found Germany and Austria to have the cleanest
    roads and verges, France can be a bit scruffy at times but nowhere is a bad
    as dirty old England.
    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Brian G ([email protected]
    howe.co.uk) wrote:
    > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    Wot? No dead badger?

    Murdock's Gardening Law: If it's green, the paving isn't finished yet.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Brian G wrote:
    > > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    > town.

    I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with a
    white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
    posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
    surrender.

    'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
    some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
    was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

    Murdock's Gardening Law: If it's green, the paving isn't finished yet.

  18. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    > >
    > > Brian G wrote:
    > > > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    > > > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    > > > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    > > > swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > > I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
    > > as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
    > > around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
    > > the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
    > > town.

    > I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with a
    > white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
    > posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
    > surrender.
    >
    > 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
    > some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
    > was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

    I think (from last time) that the peasants are merely there to jivvy
    the feathered friends (who have probably been fed sleeping tablet-laced
    grapes the day before as in the Roald Dahl story) out of cover at
    exactly the right moment for the toffs who just happen by co-incidence
    to be standing waiting with 12 bore cocked (but what would I know?).

  19. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Brian G ([email protected]
    > howe.co.uk) wrote:
    >> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
    >> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
    >> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
    >> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

    > Wot? No dead badger?

    Strewth! Here am I trying to raise the tone a bit with a lyrical account
    of my communing with nature and all you lot can report spotting is
    fly-tipping and roadkill. I hereby claim this week's moral high ground.

    --
    Brian G

  20. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
    > some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
    > was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

    They like to wait until they can see the whites of your eyes, so
    Oakleys suddenly seem good value for money.

    --
    Dave...