Seen on today's ride

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G (junk@ardo-
howe.co.uk) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Brian G (junk@ardo-
> > howe.co.uk) wrote:
> >> There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
> >> foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
> >> to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
> >> swans, roe deer, stoat ...

> > Wot? No dead badger?
> >

> Strewth! Here am I trying to raise the tone a bit with a lyrical account
> of my communing with nature and all you lot can report spotting is
> fly-tipping and roadkill. I hereby claim this week's moral high ground.

"I ordered beans on toast-AUK rules: No brevet card for an event over
100 km will be validated unless the rider (a) has consumed at least one
(1) portion of beans on toast, and (b) has ridden past at least one (1)
dead badger (three dead hedgehogs may be substituted at the discretion
of the Validation Secretary)." - Peter Marshall, in a post to the IHPVA
Trikes mailing list, December 1999.

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brian G (junk@ardo-
> howe.co.uk) wrote:
> > Dave Larrington wrote:
> > >
> > > Wot? No dead badger?
> > >

> > Strewth! Here am I trying to raise the tone a bit with a lyrical account
> > of my communing with nature and all you lot can report spotting is
> > fly-tipping and roadkill. I hereby claim this week's moral high ground.

> "I ordered beans on toast-AUK rules: No brevet card for an event over
> 100 km will be validated unless the rider (a) has consumed at least one
> (1) portion of beans on toast,

I asked for beans on toast at Popham; "too late" came the reply; what
sort of a control is that?

MartinM wrote:

> I asked for beans on toast at Popham; "too late" came the reply; what
> sort of a control is that?

Chef gone home?

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > I asked for beans on toast at Popham; "too late" came the reply; what
> > sort of a control is that?

> Chef gone home?

there was a decidedly cheffy looking person lurking out the back near
several trays of eggs; it may have had more to do with the 200
pasties/sausage rolls they had quietly festering, or simply that they
have got the Falling Down (1) "no breakfast after 1030" disease

(1) very good film with Michael Douglas where he produces a gun in
order to get one at 1032

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
>> some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the road
>> was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

> They like to wait until they can see the whites of your eyes, so
> Oakleys suddenly seem good value for money.

Living in a deepest, darkest ruril-bit... I suddenly realise why Nathan
*required* a pair Oakley Zeros... and here's me thinking it had been because
Basso wore them... I am a fule.

Cheers, helen s

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> They are great fun to watch, are your urban foxes. I have watched them
> at all hours of the day and night, I have watched a mother and 4 cubs
> chasing and playing, all from the comfort of my own home...

Aye, urban foxes are part of the scene where I live. They can be seen at all
times of the day and night, I have video of a regular visitor to our back
garden who stares at us through the patio (yard :) door. I also have
pictures of a cub sitting on our camping trailer on the driveway watching
the world go by, they are quite unperturbed by humans.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

in message <[email protected]>, Dave
Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
>>
>> Brian G wrote:
>> > There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
>> > foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much
>> > easier
>> > to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel,
>> > mute swans, roe deer, stoat ...

>> I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
>> as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
>> around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
>> the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from
>> a town.

> I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with
> white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
> posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
> surrender.
>
> 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
> some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the
> road was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

I trust you gave him a good four second burst from both forward facing
cannons.

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> "I ordered beans on toast-AUK rules: No brevet card for an event over
> 100 km will be validated unless the rider (a) has consumed at least one
> (1) portion of beans on toast, and (b) has ridden past at least one (1)
> dead badger (three dead hedgehogs may be substituted at the discretion
> of the Validation Secretary)." - Peter Marshall, in a post to the IHPVA
> Trikes mailing list, December 1999.

My best score was 9 badgers during the Elenith 300k about 5 years ago
(and 2 plates of beans).

More worrying was the un-flattened one in the middle of the A40 going up
out of Cheltenham on Sunday morning that was hit by a big 4x4 just as I
was passing. I had visions of a stream of innards shooting out all over me!

> unless the rider (a) has consumed at least one (1) portion of beans
> on toast, and (b) has ridden past at least one (1) dead badger
> (three dead hedgehogs may be substituted at the discretion of
> the Validation Secretary)

Tasty though hedgehogs are claimed to be, I think I'l be sticking with
the beans on toast.

--
Peter Headland

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Dave
> Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

> >> I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
> >> as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
> >> around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
> >> the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from
> >> a town.

> > I too came hurtling down the hill to encounter some raddled posho with
> > white flag. Being a Heathen Townie, I had no idea what said raddled
> > posho was up to, and was in any case travelling too fast to accept her
> > surrender.
> >
> > 'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
> > some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the
> > road was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

> I trust you gave him a good four second burst from both forward facing
> cannons.

Oh yes.

And then I ate him.

uck Wa

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Dave
>>Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>>'twas only one rounding the corner at the bottom that I nearly ran over
>>>some shotgun-wielding toff, who clearly felt that the middle of the
>>>road was an entirely sensible place from which to shoot at peasants.

>>I trust you gave him a good four second burst from both forward facing
>>cannons.

> Oh yes.
>
> And then I ate him.

So when you speak of shooting and burning the bodies, in this case the
burning was no more than 'well done'?

In article <[email protected]>, Mike K Smith (mks-
[email protected]) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> > Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> >
> >>in message <[email protected]>, Dave

> >>I trust you gave him a good four second burst from both forward facing
> >>cannons.

> > Oh yes.
> >
> > And then I ate him.

> So when you speak of shooting and burning the bodies, in this case the
> burning was no more than 'well done'?

Medium-rare :)

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

In message id <[email protected]>
on 23 Jan 2006 00:21:35 -0800, MSeries wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>The only interesting thing I saw in 100km was a dead cat at Sherburn in
>Elmet.

Are you trying to turn this into an H thread?