Segue: Stillborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

x

After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the country
would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major (bike-friend or
bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.

But they don't seem to be taking off?

I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early production
ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from
losing a front wheel in an MTB.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

In article <[email protected]>, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the
> country would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major
> (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
>
> But they don't seem to be taking off?
>
> I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
> production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
> far from losing a front wheel in an MTB

I think they're working fine, but it's hard to argue that they will replace cars when they currently
cost more than a reliable used car.

or a bicycle,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Cool product, but not useful for most people. At least one city is banning them from sidewalks.
Economy is not so great. Probably seen as a toy. No local dealers where you can test drive them.
Kinda heavy for most people to pick up to put into their vehicle. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the
> country would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major
> (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
>
>
> I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
> production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
> far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell
>

Just like "Too Fast, Too Furious", when they realize theve sunk 10s of millions into a dud, they
spent even more money on a media blitz to try and get the numbers up just to break even.
--

On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the country
>would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major (bike-friend or
>bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
>
>But they don't seem to be taking off?
>
>I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
>production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
>far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
>-----------------------
>PeteCresswell

Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
expensive new).

Peter 'scratches head' R.

"Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd
convinced
> >myself the country would be overrun with the things within a couple of
years and
> >there'd be major (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure
which...)
> >changes in the infrastructure and rules.
> >
> >But they don't seem to be taking off?
> >
> >I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably
snapped up
> >the early production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a
system
> >crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
> >-----------------------
> >PeteCresswell
>
> Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
> expensive new).
>
> Peter 'scratches head' R.

I think you answered your own question. They go for $4,950 new on Amazon.com.

RE/
>Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
>expensive new).

Last time I looked it was about six grand - with a waiting list and no guaranteed delivery
time. Whew!!!!
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.

Courtesy of www.hardocp.com:

http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv

I love the way he looks at it afterwards.

-will

> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
>
> > seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
>
>
> Courtesy of www.hardocp.com:
>
> http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv
>
> I love the way he looks at it afterwards.
>
> -will
>
>
>

Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
man's description of this please.
--

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> > http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv

> Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
> man's description of this please.

Guy (with a supplied helmet...) at a Segway demo was told it couldn't crash. He rolls it forward,
back, then forward hard and kisses the asphalt.

-will

> Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
> man's description of this please.

An apparent newbie is practicing sudden stops from full forward speed. He does the first OK, then
ends up overshooting and falls off on the second try. I think the machine acted as reasonable as it
could imho.

I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back and
be done with it. But I guess that's not "cool"...

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
> far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
> PeteCresswell

I saw two of those 'auto-shovels' in midtown last week. They're really amazing -- when you
clothesline the 'driver', they pop right back up for another shot, like those Shamu inflatables from
childhood!

/s

RE/
>I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
>for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back and
>be done with it.

From what little I've seen, the appear is in it's instinctive operation. Leaning forward/backward
and shifting weight left/right... seems like casters or fore/aft wheels would defeat that.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

> RE/
> >I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
> >for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back
> >and be done with it.
>
> From what little I've seen, the appear is in it's instinctive operation. Leaning forward/backward
> and shifting weight left/right... seems like casters or fore/aft wheels would defeat that.
> PeteCresswell
>

God forbid the american public should have to figure out a joystick or handlebars.
--

Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd
convinced
> >myself the country would be overrun with the things within a couple of
years and
> >there'd be major (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure
which...)
> >changes in the infrastructure and rules.
> >
> >But they don't seem to be taking off?
> >
> >I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably
snapped up
> >the early production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a
system
> >crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
> >-----------------------
> >PeteCresswell
>
> Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
> expensive new).
>
> Peter 'scratches head' R.

Well, I suppose they are a bit like the very finest, most mature blue Stilton cheese - if you
love the very finest, most mature blue Stilton cheese, it's worth every penny, if you hate it,
it's a rip-off.

Shaun aRe - Hmmmmmm....'Stilton'...........

Status
Not open for further replies.