Segue: Stillborn?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by x, May 28, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the country
    would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major (bike-friend or
    bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.

    But they don't seem to be taking off?

    I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early production
    ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from
    losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the
    > country would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major
    > (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    >
    > But they don't seem to be taking off?
    >
    > I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
    > production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
    > far from losing a front wheel in an MTB

    I think they're working fine, but it's hard to argue that they will replace cars when they currently
    cost more than a reliable used car.

    or a bicycle,

  3. Cool product, but not useful for most people. At least one city is banning them from sidewalks.
    Economy is not so great. Probably seen as a toy. No local dealers where you can test drive them.
    Kinda heavy for most people to pick up to put into their vehicle. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

    > After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the
    > country would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major
    > (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    >
    > But they don't seem to be taking off?
    >
    > I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
    > production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
    > far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    Just like "Too Fast, Too Furious", when they realize theve sunk 10s of millions into a dud, they
    spent even more money on a media blitz to try and get the numbers up just to break even.
    --
    _________________________

  5. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the country
    >would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major (bike-friend or
    >bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    >
    >But they don't seem to be taking off?
    >
    >I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
    >production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
    >far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    >-----------------------
    >PeteCresswell

    Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
    expensive new).

    Peter 'scratches head' R.

  6. "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd
    convinced
    > >myself the country would be overrun with the things within a couple of
    years and
    > >there'd be major (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure
    which...)
    > >changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    > >
    > >But they don't seem to be taking off?
    > >
    > >I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably
    snapped up
    > >the early production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a
    system
    > >crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    > >-----------------------
    > >PeteCresswell
    >
    > Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
    > expensive new).
    >
    > Peter 'scratches head' R.

    I think you answered your own question. They go for $4,950 new on Amazon.com.

  7. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
    >expensive new).

    Last time I looked it was about six grand - with a waiting list and no guaranteed delivery
    time. Whew!!!!
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  8. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > PeteCreswell says:

    That thing costs 1.5x as much as my car and bike put together.

    The bike cost 2x as much as the car. A man has to have priorities.

    -Dave

  9. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.

    Courtesy of www.hardocp.com:

    http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv

    I love the way he looks at it afterwards.

    -will

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    > > seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    >

    > Courtesy of www.hardocp.com:
    >
    > http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv
    >
    > I love the way he looks at it afterwards.
    >
    > -will

    Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
    man's description of this please.
    --
    _________________________

  12. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:

    > > http://m3mm.com/SegwayCrash.wmv

    > Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
    > man's description of this please.

    Guy (with a supplied helmet...) at a Segway demo was told it couldn't crash. He rolls it forward,
    back, then forward hard and kisses the asphalt.

    -will

  13. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Windcrap couldn't find the codec to play it's own format, what a laugh. someone give me the blind
    > man's description of this please.

    An apparent newbie is practicing sudden stops from full forward speed. He does the first OK, then
    ends up overshooting and falls off on the second try. I think the machine acted as reasonable as it
    could imho.

    I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
    for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back and
    be done with it. But I guess that's not "cool"...

  14. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd convinced myself the
    > country would be overrun with the things within a couple of years and there'd be major
    > (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure which...) changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    >
    > But they don't seem to be taking off?
    >
    > I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably snapped up the early
    > production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a system crash at speed wouldn't be that
    > far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    I saw two of those 'auto-shovels' in midtown last week. They're really amazing -- when you
    clothesline the 'driver', they pop right back up for another shot, like those Shamu inflatables from
    childhood!

    /s

  15. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
    >for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back and
    >be done with it.

    From what little I've seen, the appear is in it's instinctive operation. Leaning forward/backward
    and shifting weight left/right... seems like casters or fore/aft wheels would defeat that.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > RE/
    > >I think the whole concept is really very silly to have a multiprocessor computer servo to make up
    > >for the inherent instability of only 2 parallel wheels. Put a friggin castor wheel in the back
    > >and be done with it.
    >
    > From what little I've seen, the appear is in it's instinctive operation. Leaning forward/backward
    > and shifting weight left/right... seems like casters or fore/aft wheels would defeat that.
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    God forbid the american public should have to figure out a joystick or handlebars.
    --
    _________________________

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:46:57 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >After seeing the things on Good Morning America about three times, I'd
    convinced
    > >myself the country would be overrun with the things within a couple of
    years and
    > >there'd be major (bike-friend or bike-hostile....couldn't figure
    which...)
    > >changes in the infrastructure and rules.
    > >
    > >But they don't seem to be taking off?
    > >
    > >I'm starting to wonder if some of the Beautiful People that probably
    snapped up
    > >the early production ran into some unexpected problems...seems like a
    system
    > >crash at speed wouldn't be that far from losing a front wheel in an MTB.
    > >PeteCresswell
    >
    > Could someone please tell me why someone would pay 4300 $ secondhand (I assume they're a lot more
    > expensive new).
    >
    > Peter 'scratches head' R.

    Well, I suppose they are a bit like the very finest, most mature blue Stilton cheese - if you
    love the very finest, most mature blue Stilton cheese, it's worth every penny, if you hate it,
    it's a rip-off.

    Shaun aRe - Hmmmmmm....'Stilton'...........