Segway - easy target for theft? (newbie question)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stever8222, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stever8222

Stever8222 Guest

My friends and I were thinking of amassing some funds to buy a Segway Human Transporter.

As fascinating a contraption that appears to be, I would be scared to death of buying one.

Reasons:

1). It draws a lot of attention. Could you imagine rolling into every store in town and being
    peppered with questions by curious onlookers? I imagine this could be a pain. Apparently only a
    handful of people even have such an item. I'm not so sure I would want such attention.

2). Easy target for muggers. As small as a Segway is, it would be easy to steal. Can imagine
    buying one and it being ripped off as soon as I rip through an alley. They are notoriously
    expensive (3-4 K?)

Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

Tags:

2. >Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been considerable off-topic discussion
    of them in the past, however, go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll get a fair amount
    of opinions.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

3. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (SteveR8222) writes:

> Could you imagine rolling into every store in town and being peppered with questions by curious
    > onlookers? I imagine this could be a pain. Apparently only a handful of people even have such an
    > item. I'm not so sure I would want such attention.

There's some stores around here I'd like to roll into on my bike.

A bowling alley might be kewl to ride through, too.

Too bad my wide handlebar won't slip easily through doorways.

> Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

I think bikes are way more useful & fun than any electric quasi car such as the Segway.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

4. Bernie

Bernie Guest

Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (SteveR8222) writes:
    >
    > > Could you imagine rolling into every store in town and being peppered with questions by curious
    > > onlookers? I imagine this could be a pain. Apparently only a handful of people even have such an
    > > item. I'm not so sure I would want such attention.
    >
    > There's some stores around here I'd like to roll into on my bike.
    >
    > A bowling alley might be kewl to ride through, too.
    >
    > Too bad my wide handlebar won't slip easily through doorways.
    >
    > ...
    >
    > > Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > I think bikes are way more useful & fun than any electric quasi car such as the Segway.
    >
    > cheers, Tom
    >
    > --
    > -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    > [point] bc [point] ca

Tom - You don't need to live with that handicap!

http://www.lukesmachinery.com/cutting_hacksaws.html

Just trim the offending bits.
    :) Best regards! Bernie

5. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:

> Tom - You don't need to live with that handicap!
    >
    > http://www.lukesmachinery.com/cutting_hacksaws.html
    >
    >
    > Just trim the offending bits.

Thing is, I've gotten to like the damned thing.

I've said before that it's become a dashboard -- lotsa room for bell, horn, cateye light mount and
    computer. I could put even more stuff on there if I wanted to. The width is jim-dandy for keeping to
    a straight line while hillclimbing in low, slow gears.

And maybe preventing me from riding into bowling alleys is a good thing.

Besides, it's a backswept riser bar. If I bobbed it, I'd also have to re-bend it.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

6. Zoot Katz

Zoot Katz Guest

24 Aug 2003 03:10:29 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (SteveR8222) wrote:

>Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

By the time I got tired of answering questions, it would be a relief having the thing stolen.
    --
    zk

7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > >Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.
    >
    > Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been considerable off-topic discussion
    > of them in the past, however, go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll get a fair
    > amount of opinions.
    >
    >

They are realavant in that they are the enemy to urban cycling.
    --

8. Jym Dyer

Jym Dyer Guest

=v= This is a newsgroup for human-powered transportation on an incredible device known as a bicycle.
    Why not find a newsgroup devoted to motor-powered gizmos to discuss same?

=v= Note that the Segway and electric bicycles are hyped as replacements for the car, yet somehow
    we're expected to devote some of our bikeways and newsgroups to them. That seems like the wrong
    approach for replacing cars. <_Jym_

9. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> writes:

> =v= Note that the Segway and electric bicycles are hyped as replacements for the car, yet somehow
    > we're expected to devote some of our bikeways and newsgroups to them. That seems like the wrong
    > approach for replacing cars.

Segways *are* cars.

cheers, Tom

--
    [point] bc [point] ca

10. Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >>>Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.
    >>
    >>Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been considerable off-topic discussion
    >>of them in the past, however, go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll get a fair
    >>amount of opinions.

> They are realavant in that they are the enemy to urban cycling.

I keep seeing this sentiment in the Segway stuff I've read on this group.

Would someone _please_ explain why a mobility assistance device for the handicapped is an enemy of
    the bicycle?

If you are capable of standing[1] the Segway has got to be a million and a half times better than
    those hideous scooter-carts and is in the same price range as an electric wheelchair. It also
    puts your head at head height which decreases the tendency of people to ignore you or treat you
    like a child.

-M

[1] I walk okay. I bike fine. I still can't stand worth a damn for more than a short while.

11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >>>Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.
    > >>
    > >>Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been considerable off-topic
    > >>discussion of them in the past, however, go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll
    > >>get a fair amount of opinions.
    >
    > > They are realavant in that they are the enemy to urban cycling.
    >
    > I keep seeing this sentiment in the Segway stuff I've read on this group.
    >
    > Would someone _please_ explain why a mobility assistance device for the handicapped is an enemy of
    > the bicycle?
    >

I've never heard of this thing as being refered to as a mobility device for the handicaped. Although
    after seeing Bush try to ride one I can see where the idea comes from.

> If you are capable of standing[1] the Segway has got to be a million and a half times better than
    > those hideous scooter-carts and is in the same price range as an electric wheelchair. It also
    > puts your head at head height which decreases the tendency of people to ignore you or treat you
    > like a child.

The problem is not the device, it's the back stabing grease ball with all the connections that is
    trying and succeding to get tax payers money to pay for thruways for these things and allow them on
    both bike paths and sidewalks.
    --

12. Peter Cole

Peter Cole Guest

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    >
    > The problem is not the device, it's the back stabing grease ball with all the connections that is
    > trying and succeding to get tax payers money to pay for thruways for these things and allow them
    > on both bike paths and sidewalks.

I don't see the problem. I'd much rather share a path or street, or sidewalk (as a pedestrian)
    with a Segway than a roller blader. Given the price of the technology, I doubt very much that
    conflict with Segways will ever become much of an issue. Those gas-powered skateboards are a much
    bigger potential problem, the big box stores are pumping them out at les than a tenth the price
    of a Segway.

13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > >
    > > The problem is not the device, it's the back stabing grease ball with all the connections that
    > > is trying and succeding to get tax payers money to pay for thruways for these things and allow
    > > them on both bike paths and sidewalks.
    >
    > I don't see the problem. I'd much rather share a path or street, or sidewalk (as a pedestrian)
    > with a Segway than a roller blader. Given the price of the

The problem is not that obvious and indeed I don't know all the details because this will never be
    an issue where I live. As I understand it, there is actual legislation being shoved through your
    state legal systems buy lobbyists to allow these things to basically invalidate the laws that
    currently exist for bicycles and all vehicles. Segways travel at similar speed to bicycles in urban
    environments and carry enough weight to do damage to pedestrians yet they are being marketed as a
    new form of running shoe with no requirement for signaling, reflectors or even that the thing be in
    good working order. This means that a "pilot" of one of these operating it wrecklessly could not
    even be charged with a vehicle infraction. Now if these things are mandated to the sidewalks of
    America, who's to say that bicycles shouldn't also be put there, many ignorant drivers say that now,
    just wait until there's a precedent set for this argument in written law.

I found this tidbit one time describing the law in New Hampshire as it applies to the Segway: The
    Segway's speed and operating characteristics define it as a vehicle under section 259:122, except
    that it is specially defined as not being one. Therefore, the normal rules of the road do not apply
    to the Segway. They do apply to bicycles.

The main beef is that this could stand in the way of current efforts to get money for wider lanes
    for bicycles in urban environments because the argument would be that they should be on sidewalks
    with Segways or the flip side is that money will be used to create paths for Segway use and since a
    Segway is a "pedestrian" these paths would be off limits to bicycles.

Now I think this whole idea is going to flop and finally suck Dean Kamen's billions out his ass
    because he is pulling a Howard Huges/Spruce Goose on this one and I think he will not abandon it no
    matter what obstacle stands in his way. Him and Ed Begley Junior will be riding the last two of
    these across California in an effort to promote a greener environment. Riding a wave ahead of the
    brown outs in search of a working receptacle to plug in their extension cords.
    --

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.