Segway - easy target for theft? (newbie question)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stever8222, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. Stever8222

    Stever8222 Guest

    My friends and I were thinking of amassing some funds to buy a Segway Human Transporter.

    As fascinating a contraption that appears to be, I would be scared to death of buying one.

    Reasons:

    1). It draws a lot of attention. Could you imagine rolling into every store in town and being
    peppered with questions by curious onlookers? I imagine this could be a pain. Apparently only a
    handful of people even have such an item. I'm not so sure I would want such attention.

    2). Easy target for muggers. As small as a Segway is, it would be easy to steal. Can imagine
    buying one and it being ripped off as soon as I rip through an alley. They are notoriously
    expensive (3-4 K?)

    Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. >Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

    Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been considerable off-topic discussion
    of them in the past, however, go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll get a fair amount
    of opinions.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  3. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (SteveR8222) writes:

    > Could you imagine rolling into every store in town and being peppered with questions by curious
    > onlookers? I imagine this could be a pain. Apparently only a handful of people even have such an
    > item. I'm not so sure I would want such attention.

    There's some stores around here I'd like to roll into on my bike.

    A bowling alley might be kewl to ride through, too.

    Too bad my wide handlebar won't slip easily through doorways.

    > Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

    I think bikes are way more useful & fun than any electric quasi car such as the Segway.

    cheers, Tom