Segway in Hyde Park - sighting



M

MartinM

Guest
Games Workshop has been around for *years* and it's British. Nathan
used to be
*obsessed* with the stuff, as did his mates - some of them still are.
Mind you,
the games are battle games using strategy so from that point of view,
they
teach thinking about what you need to do to achieve your aim. Horribly
expensive for what it is though.

Yes I thought it might be British, there is something very Red
Dwarf/Rimmerish about it. I knew a few people (grown adults, men of
course) who were seriously into it and spent all their money making
model battering rams and stuff and painting whitemetal figures at £13
a go. One of them was banned by his wife who got concerned at what the
neighbours would think about a succession of teenage boys coming round
their house of a Sunday afternoon to play it!. My 11 year old's £4
pocket money a week is not going to go very far once he gets roped into
it, Woollies did a fake version for a while, it was ridiculously cheap
and ready painted but of course not the "real" thing so no-one bought
it.
 
A

Andy Leighton

Guest
On 13 Sep 2004 04:35:06 -0700, MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
I think wafflycat wrote (and Martin snipped any context) ...
>> Games Workshop has been around for *years* and it's British. Nathan
>> used to be *obsessed* with the stuff, as did his mates - some of them
>> still are.
>>> Mind you, the games are battle games using strategy so from that

>> point of view, they teach thinking about what you need to do to
>> achieve your aim.

>
> Yes I thought it might be British, there is something very Red
> Dwarf/Rimmerish about it. I knew a few people (grown adults, men of
> course) who were seriously into it and spent all their money making
> model battering rams and stuff and painting whitemetal figures at £13
> a go. One of them was banned by his wife who got concerned at what the
> neighbours would think about a succession of teenage boys coming round
> their house of a Sunday afternoon to play it!.


Well it is quite a good hobby (but expensive). The shops often have
tables where kids can sit down and paint the figures they buy.

> My 11 year old's £4
> pocket money a week is not going to go very far once he gets roped into
> it,


Of course by then the RPG side of things might once again be in
the ascendancy. The latest news is GW is releasing a new version
of Warhammer FRP (you don't need expensive figures for this - just
a few pounds for the main book and some polyhedral dice, paper, pencils,
imagination and lots of time). Supplemental books are published of course,
and you can use figures if you want - just to help visualise things.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
"The Lord is my shepherd, but we still lost the sheep dog trials"
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_