Segway sharing bike lanes! Proposed law in NY

In article <[email protected]>,
dgk <[email protected]> writes:
> I'm calling my reps today to oppose this; I have enough **** from
> runners and skaters. Of course, perhaps the Segways will mow a few
> down for me.
>

> From Newsday, original article:
> http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stsegw165333845aug16,0,4479510.story
>

> For those that don't like links:
>

> ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer vetoed a measure yesterday that would have
> allowed Segways in bike lanes, park trails and road shoulders, just
> like bicycles.
>
> The two-wheeled, self-balancing scooters are permitted only on private
> property because they are considered motor vehicles that lack the turn
> signals or windshields required for use on roads.

I wonder how good a bank-robbery getaway vehicle
a Segway would be?

I guess it would be pretty identifiable.

And it wouldn't provide much protection in
the case of a shootout a la Bonnie & Clyde.

And the battery would likely peter out at
a critical moment. Just before the dye pack
in the money sack explodes.

cheers,
Tom

--