Segway

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John G, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. John G

    John G Guest

    The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
    out of the parking-lot all the time.

    Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
    eights in the parking-lot on them.

    I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me and
    asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my RedLine
    and I'm on his Segway.

    I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its a
    friggin' hoot to ride!

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    > a friggin' hoot to ride!

    I know that feeling - I just spent the afternoon riding a recumbent tricycle around town. We ordered
    it for a customer with MS...she can't lift her leg over the top tube of a regular bike, so recumbent
    tricycle (tri for balance) it was.

    The thing was a blast...it had about a 12" front wheel, so steering was crazy quick. There was also
    a trick rear disc brake mounted on the transfer case, where the cassette and rear mech hung.

    Chris

  3. John G says:

    >I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its a
    >friggin' hoot to ride!

    Forget that. How did the RedLine look from afar? Sheesh! Steve

  4. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    > a friggin' hoot to ride!

    Please supply more details; did it take some getting used to or did it feel real natural?

    ...and he took of on your SS. Now that's a dichotomy!

  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote in news:3E710E3A.5080607 @netscape.net:
    > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    > a friggin' hoot to ride!

    Did you ask him if those things are safe to ride on public streets?

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
    > out of the parking-lot all the time.
    >
    > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
    > eights in the parking-lot on them.
    >
    > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
    > and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
    > RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
    >
    > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    > a friggin' hoot to ride!

    Man, I want to ride one of those. I have been checking it out on www.amazon.com more than I
    should be.

    I am jelous you got to ride one.

    darsh (wish I had $4,950.00 just idleing around)

  7. John Harlow wrote:
    >>I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    >>a friggin' hoot to ride!
    >

    > Please supply more details; did it take some getting used to or did it feel real natural?

    I just stepped on and away I went.... really kinda spooky. It was like it read my mind, more than I
    was controlling it.

    > ...and he took of on your SS. Now that's a dichotomy!

    dichotomy.... wow I had to look that one up! "a division or the process of dividing into two
    especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities"

  8. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Man, I want to ride one of those. I have been checking it out on www.amazon.com more than I
    > should be.
    >
    > I am jelous you got to ride one.
    >
    > darsh (wish I had $4,950.00 just idleing around)

    You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > >You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
    >
    > That would be "sayonara", John, IIRC ;-))

    google "Domo arigato, Mr. Miyamoto"

  10. Tier

    Tier Guest

    Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from being used on the sidewalks of
    the city. There is no way I would ride that on the street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY,
    Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I
    read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I had $5k disposable income for one.

    John G wrote:

    > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
    > out of the parking-lot all the time.
    >
    > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
    > eights in the parking-lot on them.
    >
    > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
    > and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
    > RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
    >
    > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
    > a friggin' hoot to ride!

  11. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
    being
    > used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that on
    the
    > street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
    > reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I
    > had $5k disposable income for one.
    >
    > John G wrote:
    >
    > > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in
    > > and out of the parking-lot all the time.
    > >
    > > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
    > > eights in the parking-lot on them.
    > >
    > > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
    > > and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
    > > RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
    > >
    > > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it....
    > > Its a friggin' hoot to ride!

    They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
    around the new technology.

    darsh

  12. > You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)

    Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  13. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
    >
    > Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    What - you know from street bikes or sumpin'?

    (I always wondered if you rode because you use the "Squid-in-training" sig... for those who don't
    know, here is a definition of a "squid" in motorcycle parlance, with a test:
    http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm )

  14. John Harlow wrote:
    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
    >>
    >>Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >

    > What - you know from street bikes or sumpin'?

    You DoD?

    --
    John G DoD #2003

  15. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
    >
    > Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Damn squids....

    hehe

    darsh

  16. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > You DoD?

    Just now learned of it, thankyouverymuch!

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    tier wrote:
    > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from being used on the sidewalks
    > of the city. There is no way I would ride that on the street.

    The bike lane systems in Germany and Holland sound perfect for them. Would still never spend $5k on
    one though...

  18. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
    > being
    > > used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that on
    > the
    > > street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
    > > reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I read it on. No internet here at work. I wish
    > > I had $5k disposable income for one.
    > >
    > > John G wrote:
    > >
    > > > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in
    > > > and out of the parking-lot all the time.
    > > >
    > > > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
    > > > eights in the parking-lot on them.
    > > >
    > > > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at
    > > > me and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's
    > > > on my RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
    > > >
    > > > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it....
    > > > Its a friggin' hoot to ride!
    >

    > They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
    > around the new technology.
    >
    > darsh

    China has city planners? From what I saw, chaos reigns and the larger the vehicle, the more
    right of way.

  19. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
    > > being
    > > > used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that
    on
    > > the
    > > > street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
    > > > reuters for the story. It was one of those
    sites I
    > > > read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I had $5k disposable
    income
    > > > for one.

    > > They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
    > > around the new technology.
    > >
    > > darsh
    >

    > China has city planners? From what I saw, chaos reigns and the larger the vehicle, the more
    > right of way.

    Hey, working to a better future right? )

    darsh

  20. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
    > around the new technology.

    Seems they'd be more interested in the infinitely more practical - and definitely cheaper -
    http://www.goped.com