Segway

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John G

The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
out of the parking-lot all the time.

Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
eights in the parking-lot on them.

I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me and
asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my RedLine
and I'm on his Segway.

I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its a
friggin' hoot to ride!

> I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
> a friggin' hoot to ride!
>

I know that feeling - I just spent the afternoon riding a recumbent tricycle around town. We ordered
it for a customer with MS...she can't lift her leg over the top tube of a regular bike, so recumbent
tricycle (tri for balance) it was.

The thing was a blast...it had about a 12" front wheel, so steering was crazy quick. There was also
a trick rear disc brake mounted on the transfer case, where the cassette and rear mech hung.

Chris

John G says:

>I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its a
>friggin' hoot to ride!

Forget that. How did the RedLine look from afar? Sheesh! Steve

> I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its

Please supply more details; did it take some getting used to or did it feel real natural?

...and he took of on your SS. Now that's a dichotomy!

John G <[email protected]> wrote in news:3E710E3A.5080607 @netscape.net:

Did you ask him if those things are safe to ride on public streets?

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
> out of the parking-lot all the time.
>
> Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
> eights in the parking-lot on them.
>
> I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
> and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
> RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
>

Man, I want to ride one of those. I have been checking it out on www.amazon.com more than I
should be.

I am jelous you got to ride one.

darsh (wish I had $4,950.00 just idleing around)

John Harlow wrote:
>>I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it.... Its
>>a friggin' hoot to ride!
>
>
> Please supply more details; did it take some getting used to or did it feel real natural?

I just stepped on and away I went.... really kinda spooky. It was like it read my mind, more than I
was controlling it.

> ...and he took of on your SS. Now that's a dichotomy!

dichotomy.... wow I had to look that one up! "a division or the process of dividing into two
especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities"

> Man, I want to ride one of those. I have been checking it out on www.amazon.com more than I
> should be.
>
> I am jelous you got to ride one.
>
> darsh (wish I had $4,950.00 just idleing around)

You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)

> >You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
>
> That would be "sayonara", John, IIRC ;-))

google "Domo arigato, Mr. Miyamoto"

Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from being used on the sidewalks of
the city. There is no way I would ride that on the street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY,
Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I
read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I had $5k disposable income for one.

John G wrote:

> The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in and
> out of the parking-lot all the time.
>
> Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
> eights in the parking-lot on them.
>
> I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
> and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
> RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
>

"tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
being
> used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that on
the
> street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
> reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I
> had $5k disposable income for one.
>
> John G wrote:
>
> > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in
> > and out of the parking-lot all the time.
> >
> > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
> > eights in the parking-lot on them.
> >
> > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at me
> > and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's on my
> > RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
> >
> > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it....
> > Its a friggin' hoot to ride!

They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
around the new technology.

darsh

> You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)

Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
>
> Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

What - you know from street bikes or sumpin'?

(I always wondered if you rode because you use the "Squid-in-training" sig... for those who don't
know, here is a definition of a "squid" in motorcycle parlance, with a test:
http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm )

John Harlow wrote:
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>You will when you say "Sainara" to that 'busa! ;)
>>
>>Huh? Who? Busa? Where? Hayabusa? 186mph? What?
>>
>>--
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
>
> What - you know from street bikes or sumpin'?

You DoD?

--
John G DoD #2003

tier wrote:
> Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from being used on the sidewalks
> of the city. There is no way I would ride that on the street.

The bike lane systems in Germany and Holland sound perfect for them. Would still never spend $5k on
one though...

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
> being
> > used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that on
> the
> > street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
> > reuters for the story. It was one of those sites I read it on. No internet here at work. I wish
> > I had $5k disposable income for one.
> >
> > John G wrote:
> >
> > > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We see these things coming in
> > > and out of the parking-lot all the time.
> > >
> > > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two guys hanging out doing figure
> > > eights in the parking-lot on them.
> > >
> > > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of the dudes looks back at
> > > me and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and without another word he's
> > > on my RedLine and I'm on his Segway.
> > >
> > > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on it....
> > > Its a friggin' hoot to ride!
>
>
> They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
> around the new technology.
>
> darsh

China has city planners? From what I saw, chaos reigns and the larger the vehicle, the more
right of way.

"bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "tier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Just recently read that many major cities are banning the segway from
> > being
> > > used on the sidewalks of the city. There is no way I would ride that
on
> > the
> > > street. I am pretty sure it was San Fran, NY, Chicago as well as some others. Search CNN or
> > > reuters for the story. It was one of those
sites I
> > > read it on. No internet here at work. I wish I had $5k disposable
income
> > > for one.
> > >
> > > John G wrote:
> > >
> > > > The offices of the Segway inventor is "close" to where I work...We
see
> > > > these things coming in and out of the parking-lot all the time.
> > > >
> > > > Today I'm returning form an urban assault on my SS and I see two
guys
> > > > hanging out doing figure eights in the parking-lot on them.
> > > >
> > > > I hop off my bike and say "Hey how are those things to ride?" one of
the
> > > > dudes looks back at me and asks the same thing about my singlespeed. We both smile and
> > > > without another word he's on my RedLine and I'm on
his
> > > > Segway.
> > > >
> > > > I don't care how dorky looking these things are, and how much of a poofter I looked on
> > > > it.... Its a friggin' hoot to ride!
> >
> >
> > They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
> > around the new technology.
> >
> > darsh
>
>
> China has city planners? From what I saw, chaos reigns and the larger the vehicle, the more
> right of way.

Hey, working to a better future right? )

darsh

> They may be banned in the US in spots, but China's city planners are actually designing cities
> around the new technology.

Seems they'd be more interested in the infinitely more practical - and definitely cheaper -
http://www.goped.com

Status
Not open for further replies.