Seized botton bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jedblack, Nov 1, 2004.

1. jedblack

jedblack New Member

any ideas/suggestion on removing a striped/seized chorus botton bracket

got the left sleeve off without a problem... but the right size is completly seized. I think the damn LBS mech. forgot to put anti-seize compound on the threads

the BB is gone.. i'm not trying to save, just trying to get it out without damaging the BB shell/threads

the teeth are complety stripped off the sleeve, any helps is appreciated

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Knock the spindle out toward the left side. Carefully use a hacksaw blade,cut thru the right cup a few places,peel it out. You also might try pounding the removal tool into the cup and then locking the tool to it with a skewer or bolt.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

In addition to the above:
    If you haven't already tried it, lay the bicycle on it's side and pour penetrating oil over the BB threads. Sometimes heat from a hair drier helps and if you have "circuit cooler" you can spray some on the male threaded area to get thermal expansion and contraction to aid the process.
    When you try to remove again use the tool held in the vice and secured with bolt... or QR as boudreaux said. Sometimes it takes two people to provide enough torque to muscle it out. Just be careful that something doesn't slip an injure you or your frame. When you get it started remember to back of the securing bolt/QR.

4. fixit

fixit New Member

What works really good on seized BBs is a Pneumatic Impact Wrench. Every car mechanic has one.

5. shetzer

shetzer New Member

I'm not trying to insult you, but are you turning clockwise to loosen the cup? Assuming English threading of course.