Selecting a Camel-Bak, and possibly a GPS

Technician

Guest
I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).

current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v
input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a few
small'ish extras.

Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on the
camelbak.com site...

Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big, but
has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.

My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to be
$119), so cost is not really a problem.

now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5% tax,
that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to PC
mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?

If not, i'll just hang on to it for a while.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

Technician wrote:
>> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it
> for that cost, plus the 5% tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping
> GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into
> account)?

Keep in mind the PC software cost almost as much as the GPS. I've got the Garmin Summit which
doesn't store maps but it does do tracking and stores data import/export. But it was more than the
total of your check, not counting the software ( TOPO CD) which is about $100 a state.

www.garmin.com has a good comparison/feature/prioce chart for their line.

Pennye S

> Technician wrote:
> >> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it
> > for that cost, plus the 5% tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a
> > mapping GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking
> > shipping/tax into account)?
>

> Keep in mind the PC software cost almost as much as the GPS. I've got the Garmin Summit which
> doesn't store maps but it does do tracking and stores data import/export. But it was more than the
> total of your check, not counting the software ( TOPO CD) which is about $100 a state.
>
> www.garmin.com has a good comparison/feature/prioce chart for their line.
>
> Pennye S

Damn your fast, i just posted that :-D

yeah, tracking is what i meant. just something i can ride the trails and generate a map somehow.

I'll take a look at their site (now why didn't i think of that, must have been a brain fart).

~Travis
--

On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.

I've had a HAWG for several (> 4 years). I like it.
--
Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

| I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).
|
| current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
| Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v
| input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a few
| small'ish extras.
|
| Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
| the camelbak.com site...
|
| Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
| but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
|
| My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to
| be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
|
| now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
| tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to
| PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?

Before plonking down some major coin on the name-brand stuff, check out Target and Wal-mart for
their off-brand hydration packs. They'll cost far less and work just as well (though with many of
them you'd do well to drop by the LBS and replace the bladder with the Camel product.

For basic rides, I use a 2001 model "Rocket." I like the baffled bladder (lies flatter when the
water gets low) and it has just the right amount of storage for me (not a lot, but will hold
everything I need.) If I want to carry more, I converted a $10 day-pack I found at Old Navy, sewing
in a sleeve from one of those off-brand packs. Total cost, about $40 plus some sewing time, compared
to over $100 for a HAWG.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

In article <[email protected]>, usenet02
@YEAH.RIGHT.dvl-software.com.invalid says...
> On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> > but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
>
> I've had a HAWG for several (> 4 years). I like it.

Ok, so it looks like the hawg is winning so far (no other recommendations).

~Travis
--

In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
> I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).
>
> current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
> Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v
> input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a few
> small'ish extras.
>
> Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
> the camelbak.com site...
>
> Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
>
> My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to
> be $119), so cost is not really a problem.

Ok, now some accessories i can see i need/want are as follows, additions/substitutions welcome.

Cleaning brush kit Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it) Ergo Angle CommPocket (for my cell
phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)

I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the cleaning
tabs (like baking soda perhaps).

~Travis
--

"Technician" wrote:

> Ok, now some accessories i can see i need/want are as follows, additions/substitutions welcome.
>
> Cleaning brush kit Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it) Ergo Angle CommPocket (for my cell
> phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)
>
> I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the cleaning
> tabs (like baking soda perhaps).

Yup, I just use a metal clothes hanger stretched out with a few bends in it. The bite valve and
"ergo angle" should be on a new CamelBak, as well as the "Omega" bladder. I've never had the need
for a brush kit and I've had the same bladder for almost two years. The only thing I've had to do
with mine is put some baking soda in it if I left water in it too long (I had some water that was in
it for about two months while I did some cross-training...) or maybe a tablespoon of bleach in an
almost full bladder if I wanted to get serious. CommPocket for a phone is only handy if you think
you're going to be making or taking calls on the trail. I keep my phone stashed inside my rear
pocket with the ringer turned off for emergency use only. I only pull it out and turn it on if the
group gets separated at one of the longer trails and I'm riding with people that don't know it well.

-will

On Tue, 6 May 2003 12:44:16 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
Snip
>Ok, now some accessories i can see i need/want are as follows, additions/substitutions welcome.
>
>Cleaning brush kit Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it) Ergo Angle CommPocket (for my cell
>phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)
>
>I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the cleaning
>tabs (like baking soda perhaps).
>
>~Travis
A drying "rack" can be fabricated from some large and small zip ties, the large ones connected
"inside out", and cleaning tablets for dentures will clean bladder and tube cheaply and well. Or get
a platypus bladder which can be put into boiling water to disinfect and clean, the valves are
cumbersome so I use Camelbak bite valves cheers Martin

> "Technician" wrote:
>
> > Ok, now some accessories i can see i need/want are as follows, additions/substitutions welcome.
> >
> > Cleaning brush kit Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it) Ergo Angle CommPocket (for my
> > cell phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)
> >
> > I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the
> > cleaning tabs (like baking soda perhaps).
>
> Yup, I just use a metal clothes hanger stretched out with a few bends in it. The bite valve and
> "ergo angle" should be on a new CamelBak, as well as the "Omega" bladder. I've never had the need
> for a brush kit and I've had the same bladder for almost two years. The only thing I've had to do
> with mine is put some baking soda in it if I left water in it too long (I had some water that was
> in it for about two months while I did some cross-training...) or maybe a tablespoon of bleach in
> an almost full bladder if I wanted to get serious.

Hmm, so cleaning is easier than i thought. maybe i'll hold off on the brush kit.

> CommPocket for a phone is only handy if you think you're going to be making or taking calls on the
> trail. I keep my phone stashed inside my rear pocket with the ringer turned off for emergency use
> only. I only pull it out and turn it on if the group gets separated at one of the longer trails
> and I'm riding with people that don't know it well.

good point. i'll hold off on that until i get a GPS.

Just a question though, if you turn the ringer off, and somebody gets separated...

I'm gona stop by the LBS later today and check some baks out in person. then i can see what fits,
what has the best amount of space for my needs (and future needs), and so forth. the LBS mentioned
as you did that most of the baks come with the angle. I figure i'll give it until 3:30 today
before i head over, at least then i will have time to do a bit of research and won't be buying
entirely on impulse. (or maybe i may just get up and go after posting this, never know when the
impulse will strike.)

I'm leaning towards the hawg, but i'll see when i get there.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
> I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).

Looked 'em over at the LBS. the hawg was downright too big for my needs, and the blowfish didn't
appeal to me as far as looks, so i got the mule.

It turns out to be quite comfortable too.

So, still pending the LBS getting in that front shifter, i will be able to try out the new bike, and
the new bak. not that i can't just fill 'er up and try it out now (it just isn't the same).

It did come with what i assume is a big bite, or similar, and the Ergo HydroLock, that should be a
help for transporting.

It is amazing this seemingly flimsy material reservoir is as strong as CamelBak says it is (yes, i
have seen the video).

As it has a funny smell, and the bite valve tastes a little funny, i will rinse it out (usually a
good idea anyway for new drinking/food containers).

So i guess this puts me into the camel club now ;-)

~Travis
--

"Technician" wrote:

>> I keep my phone stashed [...] I only pull it out and turn it on if the group gets
>> separated [...]

> Just a question though, if you turn the ringer off, and somebody gets separated...

^^ I *ahem* get the phone out and turn the ringer on... Works well enough, only had the need to do
that a couple of times. Of course one of those times I was already in the middle of a post ride beer
and burger when the guy that was SUPPOSED to be riding with the lost rider showed up.

-will

If you have a Dicks (ha) sporting goods store nearby they have the 2002 blowfish for 45.00. That
should help a little!

Vaughn

Technician wrote:
> I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).

I went through the same thing. I felt the Hawg was too big, so it was a toss up between the Mule and
the Blowfish. I thought the Mule was a better bet for my needs, but they didn't have them when I was
ordering a load of stuff so I went for the Blowfish. Totally happy with the way it worked out.

"Technician" wrote:

> As it has a funny smell, and the bite valve tastes a little funny, i will rinse it out (usually a
> good idea anyway for new drinking/food containers).

Soak it overnight with a quarter cup of baking soda, filled with water. Rinse well the next day. I
think that's even in the booklet. If you don't do that I hope you like plastic-tasting water...

-will

gabrielle wrote:

> However...I still carry an extra water bottle (or 2) for any ride more than 10 miles because I
> will drain that pack.

Anything over 10 miles?! What, are your breasts reservoirs, or something?

> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100,
> | respectfully).
> |
> | current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
> | Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an
> | a/v input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a
> | few small'ish extras.
> |
> | Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
> | the camelbak.com site...
> |
> | Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> | but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
> |
> | My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed
> | to be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
> |
> | now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
> | tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download
> | to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?

Astounding, simply astounding. Why the hell anyone here gave your sorry ass anything is well beyond
me. You sit and whine about your POS walgoose for a couple of years, yet you gab on and on about how
great your computer **** is and how much you spend on it. "How about saving your money for a real
bike" echoed throughout the ng, yet you made it clear that your techno **** was much more important
than a bike. Sad ****. Next (pun intended), you proceed to make your POS bike even more crappy and
unsafe and it generates a pity party that you either expected, or did not expect, though you reveled
in it, taking free items from those who felt sorry enough for you to send them. NOW, you sit and
plot how you can spend extra money on needless **** like a camcorder and GPS, including more
computer interface techno **** that is completely needless. I have donated items FOC to more than a
couple of AM-B denizens, however I would never even think of giving you the jam out of my big toe,
you selfish little ****.

JustDisgusted

On Tue, 6 May 2003 12:44:16 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cleaning brush kit

I've never had a need for it. If scum develops, a bit of baby bottle cleaner removes it. No
scrubbing required.

> I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the cleaning
> tabs (like baking soda perhaps).

I've never dried it out.
--

bomba wrote:
> gabrielle wrote:
>
>> However...I still carry an extra water bottle (or 2) for any ride more than 10 miles because I
>> will drain that pack.
>
> Anything over 10 miles?! What, are your breasts reservoirs, or something?

hydrate or die.

penny