Selecting Bottom bracket / cranks?

vinyl_theif

Mar 28, 2007
Hi Guys n gals.
I'm building up a touring bike, i've selected a 42 teeth stainless chainring (Surly) on a 110mm BCD.

Bearing in mind i'm looking for hassle free touring in various countries, what recomendations does anyone have for he most suited Bottom Bracket interface type & cranks to match? I'm not keen on fitting square taper as they always end up creeking...does this happen on the PowerSpline?

I wanted to use the chrome DMR crisis as there steel (weight is NOT an issue as i'm after longetivity, not saving a few grams here & there) but these only come in ISIS & have heard / read these aren't too good due to small bearings in the BB as the spindle is larger.

The Truvativ 'Touro' (polished) look nice, would these be suitable?

Thanks for any info & advice from anyone.
Mark. Grim UK.

vinyl_theif said:

I'm building up a touring bike, i've selected a 42 teeth stainless chainring (Surly) on a 110mm BCD.

Bearing in mind i'm looking for hassle free touring in various countries, what recomendations does anyone have for he most suited Bottom Bracket interface type & cranks to match? I'm not keen on fitting square taper as they always end up creeking...does this happen on the PowerSpline?
FWIW. Wouldn't the most trouble-free BB-and-crank be a square-taper XTR cartridge BB + XT 104BCD crank? You could certainly get steel chainrings in almost any size you'd want ...

... if you get an XT 750 crank, you can change the 104BCD spider to a 5-arm 110BCD spider.

Is it the square-taper interface that is creaking, or are you remembering an older encounter with separate spindle & caged bearings?

vinyl_theif said:
Hi Guys n gals.

I wanted to use the chrome DMR crisis as there steel (weight is NOT an issue as i'm after longetivity, not saving a few grams here & there) but these only come in ISIS & have heard / read these aren't too good due to small bearings in the BB as the spindle is larger.

The Truvativ 'Touro' (polished) look nice, would these be suitable?

Thanks for any info & advice from anyone.
Mark. Grim UK.

Square taper has been around the longest, is the most versatile with lengths available and if installed correctly, will not creak. Sugino makes a really nice crank, the 'Messenger'.

alfeng said:
FWIW. Wouldn't the most trouble-free BB-and-crank be a square-taper XTR cartridge BB + XT 104BCD crank? You could certainly get steel chainrings in almost any size you'd want ...

... if you get an XT 750 crank, you can change the 104BCD spider to a 5-arm 110BCD spider.

Is it the square-taper interface that is creaking, or are you remembering an older encounter with separate spindle & caged bearings?

XTR 107mm UN-91 'may' be tough to find since they haven't really been made for over a decade. Same for the crank.

Peter@vecchios said:
XTR 107mm UN-91 'may' be tough to find since they haven't really been made for over a decade. Same for the crank.
Of course, you are right ...

That "stuff" came to mind because it is what I have floating around, here (except, I seem to recall that my BB is a 113mm since I wasn't smart enough to get the shorter spindle) ... and, I know it is probably as reliable as one could hope for.

Peter@vecchios said:
Square taper has been around the longest, is the most versatile with lengths available and if installed correctly, will not creak. Sugino makes a really nice crank, the 'Messenger'.
I don't know that particular crank (that's my deficiency), but I know Sugino is under-appreciated by most of today's cyclists ... if Sugino still makes cranks which are good enough for some TRACK riders, then they still make some pretty good stuff.

alfeng said:
I don't know that particular crank (that's my deficiency), but I know Sugino is under-appreciated by most of today's cyclists ... if Sugino still makes cranks which are good enough for some TRACK riders, then they still make some pretty good stuff.

Yep. Sugino and Nitto make some really nice road AND track stuff. We are fortunate to have a distributor that carries a lot of the stuff(Euro-Asia in SoCal).