Selecting the right chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by heedcase, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. heedcase

    heedcase New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2004
    I need to replace the chain on my 85 Fuji Del Rey. I would like to purchase online so I can have more choices. I don't know the proper size to select.
    It has a Sugino crank with 52/42 chainrings and 6 speed freewheel. How about a little help.:confused:

    Tags:

  2. DJA

    DJA Guest

    on 8/27/2004 1:06 AM heedcase said the following:

    > I need to replace the chain on my 85 Fuji Del Rey. I would like to
    > purchase online so I can have more choices. I don't know the proper
    > size to select.
    > It has a Sugino crank with 52/42 chainrings and 6 speed freewheel. How
    > about a little help.:confused:

    My '85 Schwinn has nearly the same drive-train, except 52/40 crankset.
    Original chain is 116 links.

    Possible upgrade:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=8101

    --
    David
    dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:06:10 +1000, heedcase
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to replace the chain on my 85 Fuji Del Rey. I would like to
    >purchase online so I can have more choices. I don't know the proper
    >size to select.
    >It has a Sugino crank with 52/42 chainrings and 6 speed freewheel. How
    >about a little help.:confused:

    Your basic 3/32" chain will do it. In catalogs/internet, it will
    probably be called 8-speed or 7/8 speed. Which is the same chain size
    as 6 speed.

    SRAM PC-48, or 58 if you like some chrome, or 68 if you like *all*
    chrome (or whatever all that shiny stuff is on the chain links...)

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to replace the chain on my 85 Fuji Del Rey. I would like to
    >purchase online so I can have more choices. I don't know the proper
    >size to select.
    >It has a Sugino crank with 52/42 chainrings and 6 speed freewheel. How
    >about a little help.:confused:

    You can use any brand of chain that's rated for 6, 7 or 8 speeds.
    There's nothing to be gained by going to a 9 speed chain, and they're
    more expensive. I've had good results with SRAM and Shimano chains,
    but I prefer the SRAM because in most cases, it's supplied with one of
    their nifty connector links. The PC48 is economical and works well
    for me.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. Dan Daniel wrote:

    > SRAM PC-48, or 58 if you like some chrome, or 68 if you like *all*
    > chrome (or whatever all that shiny stuff is on the chain links...)

    Usually nickel. It's a good idea if you live somewhere wet and insist
    on using "dry" lubes with no rust protecting abilities.

  6. Ted

    Ted Guest

    heedcase <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I need to replace the chain on my 85 Fuji Del Rey. I would like to
    > purchase online so I can have more choices. I don't know the proper
    > size to select.
    > It has a Sugino crank with 52/42 chainrings and 6 speed freewheel. How
    > about a little help.:confused:

    As others have said, any chain suitable for 6, 7, or 8 speed. But size
    also includes length. Most any chain will be too long for your bike,
    and needs to be shortened a few links to match your existing chain.