Selection vs. Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred

I've been lurking on this group lately, trying to gather the collective wisdom of its participants
in anticipation of purchasing a 'bent. The two suggestions I keep reading are:

- Buy from a local bike shop, and

- Ride lots of bikes and buy the one that feels best.

What if these two goals are incompatible? My LBS (at least, the most local with recumbents) carries
8 models by four companies, whereas 100 miles away I can browse a much larger selection.

Advice? Suggestions?

Fred

Originally posted by Fred
I've been lurking on this group lately, trying to gather the collective wisdom of its participants
in anticipation of purchasing a 'bent. The two suggestions I keep reading are:

- Buy from a local bike shop, and

- Ride lots of bikes and buy the one that feels best.

What if these two goals are incompatible? My LBS (at least, the most local with recumbents) carries
8 models by four companies, whereas 100 miles away I can browse a much larger selection.

Advice? Suggestions?

Fred

I'd say 100 miles is local. If you see and have tried what you want maybe the "local" shop would order it for you.

Fred,

I have the same situation my LBS as a limited selection and advice from others has been to ride as
many 'bents' as I can. The closest place to me is 250 miles away. I think I'm going to take a day
and travel there so I can demo some bikes.

Ken [email protected]

"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been lurking on this group lately, trying to gather the collective wisdom of its participants
> in anticipation of purchasing a 'bent. The two suggestions I keep reading are:
>
> - Buy from a local bike shop, and
>
> - Ride lots of bikes and buy the one that feels best.
>
> What if these two goals are incompatible? My LBS (at least, the most local with recumbents)
> carries 8 models by four companies, whereas 100 miles away I can browse a much larger selection.
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred

Hi Fred,

Try out as many bikes as possible. The most important factor in your bent happiness will be a bike
that you are comfortable on and will ride often. If that bike is available from your closer LBS,
then great. Otherwise get the bike where you have to, and buy all your accessories and service from
the closer LBS. if they warrant your patronage.
--
Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

> I've been lurking on this group lately, trying to gather the collective wisdom of its participants
> in anticipation of purchasing a 'bent. The two suggestions I keep reading are:
>
>
>
> What if these two goals are incompatible? My LBS (at least, the most local with recumbents)
> carries 8 models by four companies, whereas 100 miles away I can browse a much larger selection.
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred

Here's what I would do: go to that far-away dealer and take some test rides. While you're there, see
if you like the dealership as a whole. If it seems like a good place, then buy your bike there, and
consider it your not-so-local LBS. But if the shop doesn't seem so hot, but the bike is, talk to
your local dealer about carrying the bike you like.

Fred wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred
>
--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Go the 100 miles. It's worth it! I traveled 80 miles, three times before I made a decision. The
first trip was for fun. I tried everything the guy had. The second time, I narrowed the field to two
possibilities. Third time I made the purchase. You really should test as many as possible. One will
eventually call your name :)

8 models by four companies---Fred, you are in Bent Heaven. Give them all a ride. If you don't find
one you like then take a road trip. You will have fewer bikes to deal with on the trip if you have
already tried some of the models the 100 mile shop carries.

Part Deux: If you find a particular style (eg swb/above seat steering) then check out what the other
shop has in that style.

Foreplay man, foreplay. Enjoy.

Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
>
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred

>
>
>
>

100 miles is not that far if you have the means to get there.

You also may be able to combine visits to 'bent shops with other trips. Do you ever have to go out
of town in the direction of that shop? Ever go to another city that happens to have a 'bent shop?
Yesterday I just managed to drop by Rapid Transit Cycles and test ride a Catrike while in Chicago
for the Retail Systems Expo.

---Hillel Cleveland, OH

Yeah, take the ride. Bunches of us ride our bikes 100 miles and think nothing of it. In a car it's a breeze.

:p

Ride a bunch and see what you like.

>
>
>
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred

I have been trying many trikes ( from Vermont, Massachusetts, North Carolina, southern California,
Oregon, and locally) by buying then selling them. The shipping and "chinese puzzle" shipments (when
I have to put tinker-toys in little boxes) drive me nuts, but that is the best way to see what is
available for me. LBSs want no part of 'bents, and I would rather not go to San Francisco for a
trike made in Florida. Thanks to the computer; Catrike is on the way.

I have toyed with the idea of beginning a trike only shop, but with Santa Cruz rent, I could either
buy a handful of trikes, or pay a small fortune and be in the gutter in less than a year. I'd rather
have 10 trikes over time. Waiting for the Real Estate bubble to burst!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

> > - Buy from a local bike shop, and
> >
> > - Ride lots of bikes and buy the one that feels best.
> >
> > What if these two goals are incompatible? My LBS (at least, the most local with recumbents)
> > carries 8 models by four companies, whereas 100 miles away I can browse a much larger selection.
> >

The point of the "support your LBS" to not use all their time & expertise, then undercut them by
buying something for $10 less off the internet. It doesn't mean you should go to a shop that can't
or won't meet your needs simply because they're the closest.

-Carl

If you lived in West Texas, your "local" 'bent bike shop could be hundreds of miles away. No 'bents
at all here in Lubbock. I could get an EZ-1 in Abilene (160 miles) or Amarillo (125 miles) but the
closest shops with a decent selection are in Austin (400 miles). I got mine in Houston (530 miles).
Does 100 miles sound better now? The main thing is to make sure you're comfortable with the bike
before you plop down your money. Once it's yours you can have all the standard bike running gear
serviced at nearly any bike shop, though they might be scratching their heads searching in vain for
a seat post to clamp into their work stand ;-)

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

>
>
>
>
> Advice? Suggestions?
>
> Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.