Self-adjusting disk brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kim, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Kim

    Kim Guest

    My rear brake pads rub a bit on the rotor. I read on the Hayes site
    (and elsewhere) that to adjust the distance from the rotor to the pad
    you should:

    1) push a couple of business cards between each side of the rotor and
    the pad
    2) pump the brake lever a few times
    3) remove the business cards
    4) pump the brake lever a few times

    I can't see that this does anything and I just don't understand the
    principle behind this procedure. If the brake pads are self-adjusting,
    won't step 4 undo anything that was done during the previous steps?
    Does this procedure really work?

    Thanks,
    -Kim

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > My rear brake pads rub a bit on the rotor. I read on the Hayes site
    > (and elsewhere) that to adjust the distance from the rotor to the pad
    > you should:
    >
    > 1) push a couple of business cards between each side of the rotor and
    > the pad
    > 2) pump the brake lever a few times
    > 3) remove the business cards
    > 4) pump the brake lever a few times
    >
    > I can't see that this does anything and I just don't understand the
    > principle behind this procedure. If the brake pads are self-adjusting,
    > won't step 4 undo anything that was done during the previous steps?
    > Does this procedure really work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Kim

    I use two pieces of a soda can on each side of the rotor. Loosen the
    bolts holding it to the post/frame, then do the squeeze routine holding
    it on the final squeeze, tighten the bolts. Viola, centered discs
    (well, works for me).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Kim wrote:
    >> My rear brake pads rub a bit on the rotor. I read on the Hayes site
    >> (and elsewhere) that to adjust the distance from the rotor to the pad
    >> you should:
    >>
    >> 1) push a couple of business cards between each side of the rotor and
    >> the pad
    >> 2) pump the brake lever a few times
    >> 3) remove the business cards
    >> 4) pump the brake lever a few times
    >>
    >> I can't see that this does anything and I just don't understand the
    >> principle behind this procedure. If the brake pads are
    >> self-adjusting, won't step 4 undo anything that was done during the
    >> previous steps? Does this procedure really work?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -Kim
    >>

    > I use two pieces of a soda can on each side of the rotor. Loosen the
    > bolts holding it to the post/frame, then do the squeeze routine
    > holding it on the final squeeze, tighten the bolts. Viola, centered
    > discs (well, works for me).

    Musical discs?
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. > I use two pieces of a soda can on each side of the rotor. Loosen the
    > bolts holding it to the post/frame, then do the squeeze routine holding it
    > on the final squeeze, tighten the bolts. Viola, centered discs (well,
    > works for me).
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

    I like to first clean those soda can shims with isopropyl alcohol to keep
    your finger oils off of the pads. Before I put the shims in, I dowse the
    caliper assembly and rotor with the IA and spin the wheel while holding a
    paper towel soaked in IA, on the rotor.