self-catering in cairgorm next Feb

Paul Shields

Guest
Want to give the young ones a taste of winter for the first time....

Any recommendations/tips?

Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

cheers

Paul

sorry, small typo - obviously meant to say cairngorm(s)...

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Paul Shields <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> Want to give the young ones a taste of winter for the first time....
>
> Any recommendations/tips?
>
> Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
> children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
> wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

You might like to check out the 'Rothiemurchus Caravan and Camping' site,
they've got cabins there - some for hire. It's perfectly situated for the
Cairngorms. 'Phone 01479 810120, but probably check out their web page first
(google for the url). Run by Liz and Colin Sangster - nice people.

Regards: Jim Ford

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:15:51 +0000, Paul Shields
<[email protected]> wrote:

Paul Shields, eh?? Um.... you didn't go to school in Crosby, did you?

(Just wondering...)

>Want to give the young ones a taste of winter for the first time....

>Any recommendations/tips?

>Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
>children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
>wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

Wedding anniversary? Not a Quasar in Borrowdale, then :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Want to give the young ones a taste of winter for the first time....
>
> Any recommendations/tips?
>
> Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
> children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
> wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

Switzerland seems to fit the bill nicely then (or are there some more
criteria you haven't told us about yet?)

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:32:42 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,

<snip>

>Switzerland seems to fit the bill nicely then (or are there some more
>criteria you haven't told us about yet?)

errm - looking at *Cairngorms* - sorry if that wasn't specific enough
;-)

Don't want to leave UK as baby nbr 2 will be around 3 months old in
Feb and Switzerland is one criteria that's out.

We were in Scotland for previous anniversary but were staying much
further afield (Rogart). Problem is, googling at options on the net
doesn't really give you a feel for the place, so interested in any
opinions or recommendations re accommodation etc (great walking is a
given).

thanks

Paul

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Want to give the young ones a taste of winter for the first time....
> >
> > Any recommendations/tips?
> >
> > Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
> > children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
> > wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

> Switzerland seems to fit the bill nicely then (or are there some more
> criteria you haven't told us about yet?)

Maybe I'll read the subject as well as the body before making my next
smartarse reply!!

But probably not - why change the habit of a lifetime?

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:30:38 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:15:51 +0000, Paul Shields
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Paul Shields, eh?? Um.... you didn't go to school in Crosby, did you?
>
>(Just wondering...)

No - but not far from there. My wife was at Merchant Taylors if that
counts :) I Do know Crosby well, but never in the educational
sense...

>Wedding anniversary? Not a Quasar in Borrowdale, then :)

Sorry, but I'm completely flumuxed - you'll have to explain :)

Paul

"Paul Shields" <[email protected]> wrote

> Looking for somewhere that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 very young
> children. Prefer somewhere comfortable rather than rustic (10th
> wedding anniversary = not allowed to skimp...;-)

We rented a bungalow in Aviemore from Welcome Cottage Holidays last Feb.
They have a very good website which lets you check availability on whatever
date you want to go and lots of pictures to give you a virtual tour of the
accommodation. I think the Cairngorms has all kinds of opportunities for
whatever level of winter walking anyone wants.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:51:41 +0000, Paul Shields
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>Paul Shields, eh?? Um.... you didn't go to school in Crosby, did you?
>>
>>(Just wondering...)

>No - but not far from there. My wife was at Merchant Taylors if that
>counts :) I Do know Crosby well, but never in the educational
>sense...

What an odd coincidence! I knew a Paul Shields at school, and he was
going out with a girl from Merchants :)

>>Wedding anniversary? Not a Quasar in Borrowdale, then :)

>Sorry, but I'm completely flumuxed - you'll have to explain :)

Apologies. I too failed to register that you'd mentioned the
Cairngorms in the header, so my first thought was the Lakes, and I'm
fond of Borrowdale, hence the reference to Borrowdale... A Quasar is
a v. nice solid tent, but not quite appropriate for celebrating a
wedding anniversary, unless you're both into camping. See? :)

(Weird! I feel like I'm in "Round Britain Quiz"! Does anyone ever
listen to that? :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:43:45 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>>Wedding anniversary? Not a Quasar in Borrowdale, then :)

>>Sorry, but I'm completely flumuxed - you'll have to explain :)

>Apologies. I too failed to register that you'd mentioned the
>Cairngorms in the header, so my first thought was the Lakes, and I'm
>fond of Borrowdale, hence the reference to Borrowdale... A Quasar is
>a v. nice solid tent, but not quite appropriate for celebrating a
>wedding anniversary, unless you're both into camping. See? :)

It's funny how my mind can completely get the wrong end of the stick.
I read Quasar and thought "That's like paintball, isn't it?" and
having been paintballing on a Stag weekend [I was an honorary bloke
for the day] I wasn't at all surprised that some people might do a
similar thing for a wedding anniversary!

>(Weird! I feel like I'm in "Round Britain Quiz"! Does anyone ever
>listen to that? :)

Of course. Although I do tend to shout at the radio. Either "Duh!
Are you all really really stupid??!" or "Hmph, someone must have told
you the answers beforehand."

Judith

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:00:59 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>It's funny how my mind can completely get the wrong end of the stick.
>I read Quasar and thought "That's like paintball, isn't it?" and
>having been paintballing on a Stag weekend [I was an honorary bloke
>for the day] I wasn't at all surprised that some people might do a
>similar thing for a wedding anniversary!

Lol! Your mind sounds quite a lot like mine! :)

>>(Weird! I feel like I'm in "Round Britain Quiz"! Does anyone ever
>>listen to that? :)

>Of course. Although I do tend to shout at the radio. Either "Duh!
>Are you all really really stupid??!" or "Hmph, someone must have told
>you the answers beforehand."

Hee hee :)

Best wishes,
--