Self Driving Cars

One word;

Skynet.

I don't mean that in a good way either. I know human drivers have issues. But I'd be even more fearful biking next to a driverless moving car.

A thought.... if these cars are being designed as "rule obeying robots" then self driving cars should be ideal road users with which to truly "share the road." Imagine no more speeding, no more close passing and no more annoying honking by impatient motorists.

True vehicular cycling should work very well.

Even George Jetson gets into traffic jams. As long as the road network is an open model there is no such thing as accident proof, and even then not.

For every convenience technology gives us, it also gives us new problems

At least the cars don't get distracted or sleepy. And they can see 360 degrees.

From last year, watch the google car respond to rider hand signals. Next, it tracks a rider filtering up on the right side bike lane, while continuing to monitor in all directions.

https://youtu.be/csvt6JBAwBk?t=62

Of course, the cars are still pretty bad in rain and snow, but there's been a lot of progress.

This is coming. It's going to be SO DISRUPTIVE. Machines drive 24/7. Machines don't get tired, or drunk or high.
Good by truck drivers. Cab drivers will be a thing of the past.
Road safety is going to skyrocket. I don't trust 90% of the people I see driving so I am actually going to welcome this change.
There is huge incentives for the car to go driverless.
There will be knee-jerk reactions that will slow adoption, but the roads will soon be for non-human operators only.

Top scientists do predict that at some point highly developed AI will become self aware. We may become the servants.

jhuskey said:
Top scientists do predict that at some point highly developed AI will become self aware. We may become the servants.

You heard the other ones that the internet will evolve as a self aware entity?

Or how cities are actually a singular living organism?

As for chem trails... After the new Volvo life paint its now a fact that we are indeed being sprayed... At least cyclists. :D

Aliens and AI... AI trolls! :D

Not the theory I am familiar with. Processors can do calculations thousands of times faster than the human brain. It is not that hard to believe we are not the ultimate creation.

Self driving cars! What could possibly go wrong?

Look, I know movies like the Matrix and Terminator are fiction. But they DO show us that we better stop letting technology get too far ahead.

jhuskey said:
Not the theory I am familiar with. Processors can do calculations thousands of times faster than the human brain. It is not that hard to believe we are not the ultimate creation.

Let me inform you then. :D. Apparently the internet will become self aware in a toxic pool zombie genesis like thing. :D

There is also a more "credible" theory (which is of course disproved) called "singularity" or something.

I bet the first one has freakier girls in its cult. :D

Yeah... Maybe that's what the bit coin calculation is about... :D. Machines created it to power their humanity eradication calculation and they even made us to work for it by luring us in with the promises of moneyzzz. :D

Really though, wth is the bit coin mining calculation about? And for who (or what) has it a value? :D

Hard AI VS Soft AI....
Whether or not you believe computers can become "self-aware" or not, you can't discount the monumental shift tech will be (and currently is) playing in our lives.
Everyday they seem to do one thing better than us meatbags.
I don't think the question is when they will become self-aware, but when will we merge our awareness with their brute force processing power.

V, my fear is that in cyber world an orgasim will only last .000006 nanoseconds but maybe it can be and replayed. We can only hope.

Aside from the privacy and "rise of the machines" fears, this could be a great thing for everyone. The main challenge for self-driving cars is that they can only react so quickly to changes in road conditions, and AI has not yet gotten to the point where it can react to unexpected variables as fast as a human being can. If scientists and developers can figure out that issue, then this could go off without a hitch, and the roadways would indeed be safer for cyclists and motorists alike.

There are companies that have admitted their self driving cars have been involved in accidents. Since they use sensors to sense other moving machines, the sensors can sometimes have faults. What happens when they reach where there is an accident? Do they stop? There is more that needs to be done before they can be declared to be completely safe to ride in.

Totally against it.

It should make us ponder something though, if we all had these cars, or even just some of us did and we're reading or whatever in a self driving car and suddenly your car's computer fails and it crashes into a back of another car, and kills a bunch of kids, who's at fault? who will be held liable? Don't come back with some nonsense about the driver behind the wheel should take over, because the driver will be lulled into a false sense of security and won't react anywhere near as fast as they could have had they actually been driving.

As far as our technology has gone we haven't gone that far, maybe in 50 years but this isn't the time for a failsafe system, heck they can't even get some computers from suddenly accelerating and hitting stuff now what makes them think they can pull off a self driving car?

It's an interesting thing to think about. There's definitely going to be some growing pains so I wouldn't want one of the first batches. I mean, it's one thing if your new computer OS or gaming system has some problems but if it's your car, then you're gonna have some major problems. I do think we could get the kinks worked out though. Computer intelligence has progressed so much. Think about all we can do with our phones now that we couldn't do 5-10 years ago. It's crazy.

If we figured out how to make safe, self driving cars then we could have safer roads. I just wonder how many people will actually adopt them as a mode of transportation. They'd be insanely convenient but a lot of people like driving so I don't know that they'd want to give that up just to make things easier. Also computer car traffic jams do sound really terrible. At least when you're driving you have some semblance of control but in a computer car, I'd probably feel trapped.

People have a tendency to have a distrust towards automated things, but I am looking at the future with hope. Computers make mistakes, but they are much less likely to do so than cars. And I have about had enough with careless drivers!