Self-extracting crank cap loose: ok to ride?

Rick Onanian

Guest
Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out of
a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing force
on it that I don't know about?

I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.
--
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:30:53 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
>until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
>of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>
>It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
>force on it that I don't know about?
>
>I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

There's a small danger that it will fall out from vibration, but it won't affect the bolt holding
your crank on. Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

being as it doesn't hold the crank on, and they tend to fall out & get lost if loose, & be
expensive/imossible to replace, i'd ride without it until the tool arrives.

may have said:

>Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
>until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
>of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

Remove cap.

Place in safe receptacle.

Ride bike until tool arrives.

Replace cap properly.

This is preferable to wondering if the cap will still be there when the tool comes in. If you're
worried about crud in the hole, put a piece of the handyman's secret weapon (duct tape) over it for
now. (You *do* have duct tape in a color that matches your frame, right?)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

"Rick Onanian" wrote:
> Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
> until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
> of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>
> It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
> force on it that I don't know about?

As Jobst points out in the FAQ:

"Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

I would use a punch and lightly tap the dust cap to tighten it a bit until the proper tool arrives.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris wrote:

> "Rick Onanian" wrote:
>
>>Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
>>until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
>>of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>>
>>It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
>>force on it that I don't know about?
>>

> As Jobst points out in the FAQ:
>
> "Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
> but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
> unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html
>
> I would use a punch and lightly tap the dust cap to tighten it a bit until the proper tool
> arrives.

One could simply fill the cavity with Shoe Goo, Form-a-Gasket or a similar substance.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Arthur Harris wrote:

> "Rick Onanian" wrote:
>
>>Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
>>until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
>>of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>>
>>It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
>>force on it that I don't know about?
>>

> As Jobst points out in the FAQ:
>
> "Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
> but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
> unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.

Isn't he talking about the conventional non-extracting type? In any case, a bit of threadlock stops
them coming loose.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:18:59 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> may have said:

>One could simply fill the cavity with Shoe Goo, Form-a-Gasket or a similar substance.

And have the devil's own time getting the wrench on the bolt for the next removal. (If the cranks in
question were not of the self-extracting variety, the problem would be even worse due to clogging of
the extraction threads with the goo.)

Unfortunately, using loctite on the threads of the bolt may also be a bad idea, as it changes the
torquing characteristics of the bolt.

Both of those things said, lots of people ride very long distances with no dust caps, and don't seem
to have a problem.

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
> until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
> of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>
> It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
> force on it that I don't know about?
>
> I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

Its unlikely to fall out in the week or so before your tool arrives. However, the self-extracting
mechanism, although ingenious, isn't real reliable. You didn't mention which crank you have but if
it is a Shimano type with a hollow bottom bracket spindle, you can buy a small tool to use for
pulling the crank. It caps the hollow BB spindle and you can then use a conventional crank puller on
it. The Shimano PN is TLFC15.

Tom

Thomas Reynolds wrote:
> Its unlikely to fall out in the week or so before your tool arrives. However, the self-extracting
> mechanism, although ingenious, isn't real reliable. You didn't mention which crank you have but if
> it is a Shimano type with a hollow bottom bracket spindle, you can buy a small tool to use for
> pulling the crank. It caps the hollow BB spindle and you can then use a conventional crank puller
> on it. The Shimano PN is TLFC15.

I'm well known as being skeptical of everything new but I don't see why you say these are
not reliable.

From the original Sugino Autex to Shimano's OneKeyRelease to Campagnolo's left-threaded device,
even Steve Miller's SpeedMetal covers - they all seem to work reliably as long as the cover is
tight in the crank and the bolt is lubricated on both sides.

I can't recall one which did not secure the arm properly or failed to remove it, except where gross
mechanic ineptitude was at fault. (dry fasteners) Can you?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:50:34 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Remove cap. Ride bike until tool arrives.

Cool.

>(You *do* have duct tape in a color that matches your frame, right?)

Yellow. Yes.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
> until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
> of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.
>
> It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
> force on it that I don't know about?
>
> I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my new
DA triple and it worked fine. The install on the BB and crankset went like clockwork. Next is the
new bars, stem and DA brifters. It will be my first time running and installing cables, should be
interesting. Life is Good! Jeff

On 5 Feb 2004 17:48:54 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Starr)
wrote:
>Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
>the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my
>new DA triple

Er...I don't think the Ultegra comes with it. I don't remember seeing a tool in there.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 5 Feb 2004 17:48:54 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:
> >Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
> >the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my
> >new DA triple
>
> Er...I don't think the Ultegra comes with it. I don't remember seeing a tool in there.

Hi Rick, here is what it looks like, mine was included.

http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/tools_lube/shimano_tl-fc20_chainring_tool.htm

I put my new Easton carbon fiber bars and the DA levers on today. Tomorrow I'm going to start
running the cables. So far, so good. Life is Good! Jeff

On 6 Feb 2004 20:54:57 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:
>Hi Rick, here is what it looks like, mine was included. http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/tools_lube/shimano_tl-
>fc20_chainring_tool.htm

Definitely not included with my Ultegra crank. I bought it from Cambria, and it came in a
retail box.

I ordered this tool, on backorder right now: http://www.cambriabike.com/tools/park_spa_6_spanner.htm

If I need a chainring bolt tool, I'll buy that when I need it.

>Life is Good!

It certainly is.
--
Rick Onanian