self rising

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rosie, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    WARNING: dumb question

    is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?

    --
    rosie

    the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
    ................................ george carlin

    Tags:

  2. "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:G%FCb.126970$Vu6.41151
    @twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

    > WARNING: dumb question
    >
    > is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?

    No. In fact, Bisquick is more than just self-rising flour, since it also includes some shortening
    and other ingredients. It is considered a "baking mix".

    Self-rising flour can be found in regular plain form and in cake flour. Only the leavening
    ingredients are added.

    Wayne

  3. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:G%[email protected]...
    > WARNING: dumb question
    >
    > is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?

    No, in fact Bisquick is not a self-rising flour. It is a blend of shortening, baking powder, flour
    and salt. www.bisquick.com

    Just go into any store and look at the containers of flour. About half of them will be labeled "self-
    rising" and will contain some baking powder. Most recipes are calibrated for the self-rising or for
    normal flour, the recipe should say which. For more info, see:
    http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/recipe/0120.htm

    pavane

  4. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    thanks wayne..............i WILL look for it today!

    --
    rosie

    the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
    ................................ george carlin

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:G%FCb.126970$Vu6.41151 @twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:
    >
    > > WARNING: dumb question
    > >
    > > is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?
    > >

    > No. In fact, Bisquick is more than just self-rising flour, since
    it also
    > includes some shortening and other ingredients. It is considered
    a "baking
    > mix".
    >
    > Self-rising flour can be found in regular plain form and in cake
    flour.
    > Only the leavening ingredients are added.
    >
    > Wayne

  5. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    great site..............THANKS!

    --
    rosie

    the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
    ................................ george carlin

    "pavane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:G%[email protected]...
    > > WARNING: dumb question
    > >
    > > is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?
    > >

    > No, in fact Bisquick is not a self-rising flour. It is a blend of shortening, baking powder, flour
    > and salt. www.bisquick.com
    >
    > Just go into any store and look at the containers of flour. About half of them will be labeled "self-
    > rising" and will contain some baking powder. Most recipes are calibrated for the self-rising or
    > for normal flour, the recipe should say which. For more info,
    see:
    > http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/recipe/0120.htm
    >
    > pavane

  6. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    rosie wrote:
    > WARNING: dumb question
    >
    > is BISQUICK the only kind of self rising flour?

    Dear Rosie, Bisquick is not "flour". It's a biscuit mix to which you only need add water or milk to
    make risen biscuits.

    The answer to your question is no :) Self rising flour is available in most baking sections right
    next to the all purpose flour and the cornmeal (and self-rising cornmeal). Common brands are
    Pillsbury Self Rise, Martha White Self Rising Flour, Lily White Self Rising Flour. I'm pretty sure
    you can find it.

    I rarely use self-rising anything. A teaspoon or two of double acting baking powder in your all-
    purpose flour, along with salt, nets the same effect.

    Jill