Sella nabbed for CERA

Rolf, Crank : I hear what you're saying.

I think I may have even said that I thought the 2007 Giro was cleaner, back in May 07.

I should have known it when I saw the RCS invite give Astana the late invitation to start the Giro.

RCS should be ashamed of themselves.

limerickman said:
Rolf, Crank : I hear what you're saying.

I think I may have even said that I thought the 2007 Giro was cleaner, back in May 07.

I should have known it when I saw the RCS invite give Astana the late invitation to start the Giro.

RCS should be ashamed of themselves.
What we need is for ASO's influence to show at this year's Vuelta (and I think Unipublic have already announced tougher controls including CERA testing). If these two tours are tough against doping then the Giro will have no option but to follow or lose all credibility.

Rolfrae said:
What we need is for ASO's influence to show at this year's Vuelta (and I think Unipublic have already announced tougher controls including CERA testing). If these two tours are tough against doping then the Giro will have no option but to follow or lose all credibility.

To be fair, the CERA test apparently wasn't available at the time of the Giro. So, there wasn't much they could do about it even if they wanted.

What could be done now of course is to test the B samples of the top riders which haven't been tested yet. Formally, with all lawyers in place etc. such that it counts.

Of course that will never happen.

Cobblestones said:
To be fair, the CERA test apparently wasn't available at the time of the Giro. So, there wasn't much they could do about it even if they wanted.

What could be done now of course is to test the B samples of the top riders which haven't been tested yet. Formally, with all lawyers in place etc. such that it counts.

Actually, it is my understanding that a lab in Rome had the capability to test for it but CONI and the UCI never requested the tests.

hawkeye87 said:
Actually, it is my understanding that a lab in Rome had the capability to test for it but CONI and the UCI never requested the tests.

Ah, ok, I didn't know that.

Cobblestones said:

I don't think the UCI has any interest in going back to expose dopers, if they are going after someone it will be with future testing. Hoping they've learned their lesson now that they know the test is available.

Legally, in the absense of a positive A sample, testing the B sample is problematic. Certainly it would seem no doping infraction could be brought. The American cyclist Leogrande is fighting a lawsuit right now to stop the ADA from testing his B samples since someone ratted him out for having tampered with his A samples.

hawkeye87 said:
Yes, apparently the Italian Olympic Federation lab (CONI) was able to test for CERA - a question - could RCS have requested the tests directly, or does it theoretically have to go through UCI?

Crankyfeet said:
It's disappointing that what seemed like a real exciting race at the time... and perhaps as was then thought...due to it being a lot cleaner... has since been tainted... with two of the star actors of that movie obviously doped.
It is true. But I wouldn’t get hung up on it too much. There is a certain level of doping that is throughout the peleton, in my opinion. A truly clean rider can not compete for wins. The ability to catch the CERA epo shows that there is the anti-doping has some teeth. Not so good for the ones who got caught. Now the bigger fish are probably still using homologous blood transfusions of which there is no detection. They may even add a slightist dash of epo, that stays below the detection limits and keeps hematocrit and hemoglobin in range. For someone to get caught for use of testosterone they really have to mess up.

Interesting was Kloden’s pointing the finger at CSF Navigar. Saying that they do not have the same internal controls as his team. Indeed I believe it to be true. But more honestly Astana as a big team has more resources, and can be cutting edge with their science, leaving nothing to chance. In other words yes they are limited in their doping, but they will not test positive because they have precise doping and precise internal testing. As we know Astana is trying to remake their image after last year. They cannot afford to fail controls.

adamastor said:
Sella confessed in front of CONI
Why hasn't Simoni come out in the press ridiculing Sella & Ricco. It never happens in Cycling. If i was CLEAN:rolleyes: and been stopped from winning stages or a podium spot i ceratinly would be mouthing off in Gazzetta.

NJK said:
Why hasn't Simoni come out in the press ridiculing Sella & Ricco. It never happens in Cycling. If i was CLEAN:rolleyes: and been stopped from winning stages or a podium spot i ceratinly would be mouthing off in Gazzetta.
Because he is not a hypocrite, and naturally he knows that he is not completely clean either. If you live in a glass house...

ilpirata said:
For someone to get caught for use of testosterone they really have to mess up.
Not anymore. The AFLD tested 18 samples with IRMS, apparently without first checking the T:E ratio. We will probably see more of this in the future, so the riders will be taking a risk if they use testosterone.

ilpirata said:
It is true. But I wouldn’t get hung up on it too much. There is a certain level of doping that is throughout the peleton, in my opinion. A truly clean rider can not compete for wins. The ability to catch the CERA epo shows that there is the anti-doping has some teeth. Not so good for the ones who got caught. Now the bigger fish are probably still using homologous blood transfusions of which there is no detection. They may even add a slightist dash of epo, that stays below the detection limits and keeps hematocrit and hemoglobin in range. For someone to get caught for use of testosterone they really have to mess up.

Interesting was Kloden’s pointing the finger at CSF Navigar. Saying that they do not have the same internal controls as his team. Indeed I believe it to be true. But more honestly Astana as a big team has more resources, and can be cutting edge with their science, leaving nothing to chance. In other words yes they are limited in their doping, but they will not test positive because they have precise doping and precise internal testing. As we know Astana is trying to remake their image after last year. They cannot afford to fail controls.
Everyone here seems fixated on blood transfusions (70's technology) and EPO (circa 1990). The top pros are on stuff that isn't even being tested AFAIK. HCB's, Insulin... HGH....Hemopure... Hemassist... about 20 other non-tested dopes of which I can't remember the names. CERA was just a major fark-up. A so-called non-tested drug that they managed to come up with a surprise test for. If it were the UCI.... they probably would have sent a memo out to all the riders three months in advance, warning them before administering the test.

Read the list of drugs that Jesus Manzano said he was on way back (when was it... the early part of the decade?) when he was caught.

Actovegin (extract of calves blood which supposedly improves oxygen carrying capacity)
Albumina H. (protein in blood plasma)
Androgel (testosterone)
Aranesp (Darbepoetin alfa = super EPO)
Celestote (corticosteroid)
Eprex (EPO)
Genotorm (growth hormone)
Hemoce (plasma)
Deca durabolin (anabolic steroid)
Humatrope (growth hormone)
IgF1 (insulin growth factor 1)
Neofertinon (hormone to stimulate ovulation and estrogen production)
Neorecormon (hormone that regulates red blood cell production)
Norditropin (growth hormone)
Nuvacten (corticosteroid)
Trigon (asthma drug)
Urbason (corticosteroid)
Ventolin (bronchial dilator)
Oxandrolona (anabolic agent)
Vitamin B12 (essential B vitamin)
Triamcinolona (corticosteroid)
Testoviron (testosterone)
Aspirina (analgesic, anti-inflammatory)
Oxyglobin (artificial haemoglobin intended for anaemic dogs)
Hemopure (artificial haemoglobin)
Ferlixit (iron)
Caffeine (stimulant)
Hemassist (artificial haemoglobin)
Prozac (antidepressant)

In 2005, three years ago, this was the state of doping (I posted this post of smoothie's some time ago):

Before Epogen came around, guys were showing Hematorcrit levels between 40 to 44, then the EPO abuse started and guys were testing as high as 56% or more (Bjarne Riis)

Then the UCI put in the 50% cut off, and miraculously every one started coming in at 49% In the Pre race medical checks prior to the TdF, the average HCT is lower, around 44, but everyone knows these tests are coming, so getting the value down temporarily is easy. But HCT tests are outdated already, with the introduction of Hemoglobin based Oxygen Carriers. Or HBOC's

These latest doping methods no longer raise the hematocrit, but work by increasing the pace at which the blood releases the oxygen into the tissues. Actovegin was one of the first attempts at this, as was Pero fluro carbon or PFC (type Mauro Gianetti and PFC into google) Mauro was Director Sportiff at Saunier Duval by the way..

PFCs, are insoluble in water but can absorb huge quantities of gases--some products can dissolve more than 100 times more oxygen per volume than blood plasma, and are biologically inert.
The capability of PFCs as an oxygen transport medium were displayed when a study showed that a rat immersed in the solution could survive for hours--it literally breathed liquid. Becuase they are inert, they are expelled unaltered through the lungs in just a few hours..But there are no breathalyzers at the finish line...

Now they use Hemopure, Oxyglobin and Hemassist, These products actually lower the Hematocrit count, as the artifical hemoglobin augments the natural. They are also impossible to detect. It's engineered from Humans and won't show up in a blood test, and passes in the urine with no recognizable metabolites. There is currently no test for them.

HBOCs are excellent oxygen transporters; typically they have 2-4 times the oxygen transport capacity of normal human hemoglobin, but also do not have as strong a chemical bond, meaning the oxygen is released easier to muscle tissues. A 1995 study of Hemopure found greater oxygen uptake and lower lactate levels when compared to a control group using the autologous transfusions (blood re-injected in the donor) that the 1984 Olympic team used.

And while EPO must be taken two weeks or more out from competition to have an appreciable effect, an HBOC is effective within minutes of injection. The only good news is that they only last about 2 days, hence the police raids on the team cars from time to time, as you would need a steady supply for a week race, or really just a a couple of bags for the hard stages.

The really sobering part of all this, is the information above is already out, so its probably outdated. I can only imagine what the current and future methods are like. The European peleton has been doped for over 100 years, I don't think thats going to change anytime soon. Clean Pro sports is a myth.

Bro Deal said:
Not anymore. The AFLD tested 18 samples with IRMS, apparently without first checking the T:E ratio. We will probably see more of this in the future, so the riders will be taking a risk if they use testosterone.
Well that would be good news!
Here is some more on Sella's confession:

Sella reportedly has unveiled many particulars. A name of a noted Venetian doctor, already involved in doping affairs at the time of the Padovanian investigation conducted by Paola Camaran. In the confession names of ex important figures of the Italian national staff and indications of the treatments used by professional riders and above all youths in top level teams.

Crankyfeet said:
Everyone here seems fixated on blood transfusions (70's technology) and EPO (circa 1990). The top pros are on stuff that isn't even being tested AFAIK. HCB's, Insulin... HGH....Hemopure... Hemassist... about 20 other non-tested dopes of which I can't remember the names. CERA was just a major fark-up. A so-called non-tested drug that they managed to come up with a surprise test for. If it were the UCI.... they probably would have sent a memo out to all the riders three months in advance, warning them before administering the test.

Read the list of drugs that Jesus Manzano said he was on way back (when was it... the early part of the decade?) when he was caught.

Actovegin (extract of calves blood which supposedly improves oxygen carrying capacity)
Androgel (testosterone)
Eprex (EPO)
Hemoce (plasma)
Trigon (asthma drug)
Urbason (corticosteroid)
Ferlixit (iron)
Caffeine (stimulant)
Prozac (antidepressant)

In 2005, three years ago, this was the state of doping (I posted this post of smoothie's some time ago):

Before Epogen came around, guys were showing Hematorcrit levels between 40 to 44, then the EPO abuse started and guys were testing as high as 56% or more (Bjarne Riis)

Then the UCI put in the 50% cut off, and miraculously every one started coming in at 49% In the Pre race medical checks prior to the TdF, the average HCT is lower, around 44, but everyone knows these tests are coming, so getting the value down temporarily is easy. But HCT tests are outdated already, with the introduction of Hemoglobin based Oxygen Carriers. Or HBOC's

These latest doping methods no longer raise the hematocrit, but work by increasing the pace at which the blood releases the oxygen into the tissues. Actovegin was one of the first attempts at this, as was Pero fluro carbon or PFC (type Mauro Gianetti and PFC into google) Mauro was Director Sportiff at Saunier Duval by the way..

PFCs, are insoluble in water but can absorb huge quantities of gases--some products can dissolve more than 100 times more oxygen per volume than blood plasma, and are biologically inert.
The capability of PFCs as an oxygen transport medium were displayed when a study showed that a rat immersed in the solution could survive for hours--it literally breathed liquid. Becuase they are inert, they are expelled unaltered through the lungs in just a few hours..But there are no breathalyzers at the finish line...

Now they use Hemopure, Oxyglobin and Hemassist, These products actually lower the Hematocrit count, as the artifical hemoglobin augments the natural. They are also impossible to detect. It's engineered from Humans and won't show up in a blood test, and passes in the urine with no recognizable metabolites. There is currently no test for them.

HBOCs are excellent oxygen transporters; typically they have 2-4 times the oxygen transport capacity of normal human hemoglobin, but also do not have as strong a chemical bond, meaning the oxygen is released easier to muscle tissues. A 1995 study of Hemopure found greater oxygen uptake and lower lactate levels when compared to a control group using the autologous transfusions (blood re-injected in the donor) that the 1984 Olympic team used.

And while EPO must be taken two weeks or more out from competition to have an appreciable effect, an HBOC is effective within minutes of injection. The only good news is that they only last about 2 days, hence the police raids on the team cars from time to time, as you would need a steady supply for a week race, or really just a a couple of bags for the hard stages.

The really sobering part of all this, is the information above is already out, so its probably outdated. I can only imagine what the current and future methods are like. The European peleton has been doped for over 100 years, I don't think thats going to change anytime soon. Clean Pro sports is a myth.
Oh. You are just obsessed with cow blood, aren't you.

You are definately right about the warning memo from the UCI. They used to hold meetings with the teams before the tour and would tell them about the new tests that had been developed. Its like having a search warrant for a pound of weed at the dealers home and calling him and saying "we will be at your house in three days to look for drugs."

You are wrong about the actovegan though. Everyone knows it is not a PED. Just ask the Hog. Julian deFries uses it for his diabetes.

Crankyfeet said:

Androgel (testosterone)
Eprex (EPO)
Hemoce (plasma)
Trigon (asthma drug)
Urbason (corticosteroid)
Ferlixit (iron)
Caffeine (stimulant)
Prozac (antidepressant)

wow! thanks, I hadn't realized the importance of the hemoglobin alternatives. So basically the hematocrit- hemoglobin limitations are easily circumvented by other oxygen carrying and releasing alternatives. Have to be crazy to be a cyclist these days I would say. They don't perform long term testing on so many drugs in medicine today. Sick people are often desperate and at the mercy of the physician's recommendation. But the cyclist is taking the stuff just to compete.

Crankyfeet said:

At least this one should be easy to detect. Once Alberto and co. begin ovulating, it's game over :eek:

Sella names his source: the doctor's name is Enrico Lazzaro, already investigated for doping at the 2001 Giro. Apparently the drugs were sourced from a hospital in Serbia.

It also turns out the the Italian police had been investigating Sella for some time: they intercepted a Gerolsteiner rider's dad with a well known coach who was smuggling a syringe hidden in a toothpaste tube to his son at the Giro, with traces of Iutrelef (no, I do not know what it is, google it, but it's on the banned list). They then found 80 (yes, eighty) boxes of viagra at the coach's residence. Apparently the viagra was for, amongst others, a rider who is a good friend of Sella's. That got them on to him.

Powerful Pete said:
They then found 80 (yes, eighty) boxes of viagra at the coach's residence.
This could lead to one of the more entertaining doping excuses.

Maybe the coach is good friends with Cipo.

Bro Deal said:
This could lead to one of the more entertaining doping excuses.

Maybe the coach is good friends with Cipo.
LOL. I believe that Cipo would gladly consider hara-kiri before admitting to viagra use... :D