Sella nabbed for CERA

Wayne666

Jun 4, 2007
Probably a few of his team mates are nervous too if the testers got around to them.

i was thinking this might happen after ricco's positive. no way someone could do what sella did on consecutive days against other riders who are also doped to their eyeballs.

I suppose Sella was targeted since CERA test was ready like other Giro riders who have urines similar Ricco's!

poulidor said:
I suppose Sella was targeted since CERA test was ready like other Giro riders who have urines similar Ricco's!
this is no surprise what so ever. He was unreal in the Giro. It was crazy how good he was day in day out. Thankfully he was caught!!

This is good news. Reading cyclingnews, it looks like he was caught by UCI controls and that they had him in their sights for some time. That UCI got him makes me think less badly of them
smile.gif

From cyclingnews

'Sella was due to make his racing return at the Trofeo Matteotti, July 20. The Ireland-registered team of Italian Bruno Reverberi pulled him out at the last minute due to tendonitis.'

I think news of Ricco came through on July the 18th?

Anticyclone said:
From cyclingnews

'Sella was due to make his racing return at the Trofeo Matteotti, July 20. The Ireland-registered team of Italian Bruno Reverberi pulled him out at the last minute due to tendonitis.'

I think news of Ricco came through on July the 18th?
Never knew they were Irish reg team. Limerick Man did you know this???

de don said:
How long before they get Contador?
The last Astana performance has been very impressive at San Sebastian, they were all (minus AC and Noval) dropped on the first slopes... even a 95-100% AC could not finish the race with the first group.:D

poulidor said:
The last Astana performance has been very impressive at San Sebastian, they were all (minus AC and Noval) dropped on the first slopes... even a 95-100% could not finish the race with the first group.:D
Pretty surprising that when guys like Voeckler and Moncoutie make the final selection and AC couldn't.

poulidor said:
It was said it wasn't!
Right, this test was from July 18th. ADAs said they could tell Ricco was on something at the Giro, got a bunch of experts together and decided it was probably CERA, but the test wasn't available until the Tour. Presumably Sella nad who knows who else's samples could have looked suspicious during the Giro, but with no test what were they to do?

Or he may simply have been targetted because they thought his performances weren't not believable.

jonjungel said:
This is good news. Reading cyclingnews, it looks like he was caught by UCI controls and that they had him in their sights for some time. That UCI got him makes me think less badly of them
smile.gif
It appears to me that UCI are trying to do damage control. As the ASO has made the UCI controls look like a joke. The CONI supposedly had the same test in Rome at the time of the Giro , but were not called into play by UCI or the Giro organizers.
For sure, as has been said, the performances of Sella at the giro, against Ricco (positive at tour for and confessed to using CERA epo) and others, could be considered suspicious. They certainly looked for him. The reported tendonitis may not even have been real, in as much as it may have been a ploy to avoid a test, in the light of new testing efficacy. A test that in the end found him anyhow. Sella's initial reaction was a denial of using the CERA.

Crankyfeet said:
AC is now protected by McQuaid declaring to the world that he is clean.

I always thought that Bruyneel gave Sella the contact for CERA and he got it for free... maybe that would explain sella helping Contador to win.

So lets get this right..... Ricco was on the gear at the Giro, so was Sella and Contador at 85% was not ? I think on countback Gibo wins the Giro !

They probably had the team registered in Ireland to avoid doping controls? I could be way of the mark with this but it seems a good idea to me.

I'm Irish but I am not sure how efficient Irish doping controls are.

Wayne666 said:
Pretty surprising that when guys like Voeckler and Moncoutie make the final selection and AC couldn't.
Not really: Voeckler is good allrounder, and Moncoutié is a fantastic rider, who is known for being clean, and still won 2 mountain stages in past Tours de France (because he focused on one-stage racing, because of others doping). They both came out of TDF pretty fit (Moncoutié was actually a big disappointment, as all saw he could have done better), Contador is getting read for Tour of Spain. Clasica was not his cup of tea at mom, too early.