Selle Italia SLR eating my shorts

Skoobi

Aug 6, 2005
Hi, Just got an SLR. have been using a Flite for all these years, and noticed that the design of the SLR is slightly wider compared to the Flite.

The problem is that my left inner thigh keeps rubbing on the saddle and tears a hole in my shorts after a while!
Might anyone know of a solution?

Skoobi said:
Hi, Just got an SLR. have been using a Flite for all these years, and noticed that the design of the SLR is slightly wider compared to the Flite.

The problem is that my left inner thigh keeps rubbing on the saddle and tears a hole in my shorts after a while!
I have the same problem with my Fizik Arione wearing holes in my cycling bib shorts, solution is black duct tape on the bike shorts. Its smooth so it slides over the problem area on the saddle, doesn't wear out the saddle and doesn't come unstuck.

Skoobi said:

I had the same issue...I placed a QR saddle cover over the saddle (these covers are commonly used in the Tri crowd), these solved that problem...

After riding the SLR for a bit, I HIGHLY recommend the Specialized Toupe. It's just as light, more comfy, comes in two colors, white and black, two sizes (130mm & 143mm) and that split down the middle does wonders for your man jewels, seriously. :eek: Learn more about it here

The Toupe is a great saddle as long as it's not a long ride. On longer than 4 hrs rides you'll feel like you need more padding. Then again, it's all relative, it depends too on what kind of frame material and geometry you have.
The body geometry is excellent, it keeps your crotch nerves from going numb.
Corsaire

Corsaire said:
The Toupe is a great saddle as long as it's not a long ride. On longer than 4 hrs rides you'll feel like you need more padding. Then again, it's all relative, it depends too on what kind of frame material and geometry you have.
The body geometry is excellent, it keeps your crotch nerves from going numb.
Corsaire
I did an impromtu century on the toupe so I was not wearing the right bibs, I was fine, the trick is have the saddle positioned right, then you can go 100 miles. Back when I first bought it, I would really annoy my riding partner, I would pull over all the time and adjust it a mm this way and then a mm that way, but there is a sweet spot. Specialized make similar saddles with more padding, that might the the way to go for most people, especially if they do longer rides, but for me, the thin profile acts like a suspension system. Oh, and it looks bad-ass.

kleng said:
.....solution is black duct tape on the bike shorts.

Are you serious??? Seems to me that choosing a different saddle would be easier than that.