Selle Italia SLR saddle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rabalter, Aug 14, 2003.

1. rabalter

rabalter New Member

Am thinking of changing over to a Selle Italia SLR saddle. It only weighs 135 grams, and like the idea of such a light seat. Would like to ask if anyone has experience with this saddle, since it would definitely fall in the "minimalist" category and comfort may suffer because of the light weight.

would appreciate any comments and/or observations. Thanks.

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

Have not used it but have heard that it gets pretty uncomfortable after the 2 hour mark. There are plenty of reviews at:
    www.roadbikereview.com

3. zaskar

zaskar New Member

i have a slr trans am and im very happy with it, it took some adj
    and after 3 days of finding the sweet spot im happy most
    comfy seat ive had!

4. Doggystyle

Doggystyle New Member

I bought the 135g SLR for road racing and have since taken it off. Although it IS super light and looks **** hot, it is just too uncomfortable for long rides and races. I am using it for track and time trialling but if your looking for a light road saddle, I recommend looking elsewhere.

5. richt

richt New Member

A classic your mileage may vary experience. I've ridden an SLR quite a bit this summer. Probably 2,500 miles. Just did a 200 mile ride on it.

For my butt at least, it fits super well. Has to be the spot, not too close since it has a long nose and you can ride up on that. When I keep my bottom back, it works just great. I've personally found that the flex of the carbon fiber is key to comfort as is having the most awesome bib shorts I could find (the castelli progetto y2k). When I use some other bib shorts, it is pure agony, but with the castelli it is fine.

I've heard good things about the fizik aliante and also there is a new one called the flex. The san marco aspide is supposed to be nice too in terms of comfort. Haven't tried them myself.

6. richt

richt New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, the biggest drawback is that it does wear fast. One little drop and the leather tears, it is so thin. I put electrical tape on the side to protect it. It is also quite inexpensive at http://jensonusa.com

7. filtersweep

filtersweep New Member

I have about 4000 miles on mine and I love it. It is the most comfortable saddle I've owned. The genius is in the shape and the fact that the rails flex. I am riding in on a carbon frame with a carbon post...

Keep in mind that "padded" seats' padding basically "disappears" after a long ride anyway. Obviously good bibs are a key to any riding comfort.

In my mind, a good saddle is like a good mattress: a soft fluffy mattress ends up being bad for your back- same deal with a saddle.

Finally, I've found gel and cutout saddle have what feel like sharp edges around the gel/cutout area that can really dig into the rear after awhile- the SLR has none of that. And it is dirt cheap at Jenson- where I purchased mine.

Harsh after two hours? Rarely do I ride LESS than 2 hours...

8. bstay

bstay New Member

Howdy, I have an SLR with cutout. It's slightly heavier at 185 grams, but with the same basic shape. It's absolutely fantastic. I've had it for all of 2003 season now, which is about 2000 miles so far. I've done everything from half an hour to 15 hours on the seat, and it's just getting better. I had other cutout saddles and gel padding saddles before and they're not as good. It has to fit your bum though. There seems to be two kinds of bums out there. The Selle Italia kind, and the Fizik kind. The Fizik uses a classic shape with the rear of the saddle slightly upturned. It's a bit love or hate. The besta seat you'll ever buy if it fits you, otherwise a waste of money. You must try the saddle you're interested in since it's like shoes. Some have wide feet and want Carnac and others have narrow and want Italian brands. Ask in the shop if anybody's got one that you can try for a ride. I've had so many saddles in my life. I consider it learning money to figure out which one you want. I have a bag in the garage with saddles. It's good when the kids ruin theirs by throwing their bikes around.

Good luck,

A

9. G White

G White New Member

I've had two SLRs. The first fractured across the narrow part of the saddle, but didn't cause any discomfort in the 15 miles toget home. The clicking of the ends rubbing against each over was intensly annoying though. THe second has been a star.

I agree with some others that it has to be set up just right. I had been riding a Classic Flite with ~5 degrees nose up. The SLR has to be dead level for me. It is also more fussy about reach. That too has to be just right.

I've done a 4 hour rideafter two weeks off the bike (holidays with running to keep ticking over). THe only chafing I sufferd had to come from the shorts/skin against skin; currently 10 lbs over comfortable weight and 16 lbs over competition weiht.

10. serottarider

serottarider New Member

I tried the SLR. It's certainly light, but I didn't find it comfortable over a couple of hours. I now have Aliante saddles on both my rece bikes and the SLR is on my beater!

11. mtcolo

mtcolo New Member

I love mine.

12. linnega

linnega New Member

I have the SLR Transam Gelflow. I have heard that it can be a bit weak in terms of the leather tearing. I have not experieced this yet and don't really expect too. I actually bought the saddle for comfort. It is the only shape that fits me well as I have very narrow sit bones. My thighs rub on the nose of the saddle constantly.

I believe if you have a narrow butt, this is the most comfortable saddle you can buy.:D

13. hohobike

hohobike New Member

I had a SI trans am and it was like riding on
    a piece of plywood. Changed it out for an
    Avocet ti.

14. Babbar

Babbar New Member

Once again we learn something. Butts and the comfort of bicycle saddles are very subjective. One's great, comfortable saddle is another's hell on wheels (pun intended!):D

15. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I just switched to the Trans Am. If you stay on the sweet spot, it rides well, but the sweet spot is fairly small, it's far back on the saddle, and it takes some monkeying around with seat position and angle, and a few rides to get it right.

I have heard that heavier people will break these saddles.

16. Madone

Madone New Member

at 95kilos I'm no light weight, but have had an SLT on my Trek5500 for 2yrs and Rode from Lands End to John O'groats 1100miles in 14 days, lonest day was 147 ave was about 85 4-6 hours, currently ride 4 times a week 2- 4 hours, its the only saddle I'd use right now