Selle Italia SLR users

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
Let me assure you that this isn't another "which saddle is best thread", and that I have searched the forum already.

I'm interested in hearing the experiences of SLR users who find their saddles comfortable, so if that's you, then keep reading please ;)

I'm currently an SLR user (XC Gel Flow version, with the cutout), and find that very comfortable. I'm looking for alternatives, however, that aren't quite as pricey (or light for that matter), for a training/spinning bike that I am setting up permanantly in my lounge room. I'd rather not have to spend $200 to get another SLR, for a bike where the 200g weight saving is worthless, if I can avoid it.

Have any of you who find the SLR (and/or its variants) a good fit managed to find something similar that is not as pricey that feels similarly comfortable? If so, which saddles?

I'm thinking that any flat, firm-ish, and narrow saddle should match nicely, but, the proof is in the usage, and there aren't any bike shops around where I am that will a) carry a wide range, or b) let me test ride a few.

So it's over to you guys and girls, if you would be so kind as to share your own experiences.

n

i have an SLR GELFlow on my Klein. I just had a Moots Vamoots built up and I put on a Fizik Arione and it's just as comfortable. I bought it for $100 on ebay.

The Sella San MArco Aspide matches what you describe here and should be cheap to find $75-$85 USD new. However, I'm going to get off the SLR for the reason below:

SLR vs. San Marco Aspide. While the length and width measure close with each other the profile of the seat looking from the side is where the similarities end. The SLR, just fore of the wide point is more convex while the Aspide is more concave.

I've ridden both for around 600 hours and the SLR, for me, gets harder to ride when the weather gets warm and I sweat more. I find myelf constantly moving back in the saddle to get on the "flatter" aft part of the saddle. Unfortunately, riding in the drops exemplifies the problem/pain as I move foreward on the saddle. The Aspide, for me, didn't feel painful in the drops or otherwise. YMMV as always.