selle Italia SLR

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Francesco Devit, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia
    SLR. Is it less confortable than a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about
    the Flite TT? Another question: does the trans am (hole) make a difference? I mean, is there any
    scientific proof that it's better than a regular saddle?

    Thanks, Francesco

    Tags:

  2. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
    > a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?

    The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
    the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
    comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
    right with this one.

    Dave

  3. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:20:47 -0500, "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
    >> a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
    >
    >The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
    >the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
    >comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
    >right with this one.
    >
    >Dave

    Can't be quite as authoritative as that, but I find a standard SLR much better than a standard
    Flite, by about the same magnitude as the Flite was an improvement over the Turbo.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable
    > > than a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
    >
    > The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design,
    IMO. If
    > you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the
    SLR was
    > immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort --
    selle
    > Italia really got it right with this one.

    Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

    Matt O.

  5. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

    It's probably the least comfortable looking one.
    http://www.selleitalia.com/products/scheda.php3?itemid=6

    It's lighter. It costs more. It seems to flex more than the Flite and this might explain why it is
    more comfortable, I guess. <shrug>

    I really can't explain it because it's just one of those things that you gotta try. It seems
    reasonable to buy one for the comfort alone. The 100 grams saved is just a bonus.

    Dave

  6. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:wLkab.10022$3%[email protected]...

    > "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable
    > > > than a Flite
    Gelflow due
    > > > to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
    > >
    > > The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved
    design,
    > IMO. If
    > > you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found
    that the
    > SLR was
    > > immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight
    comfort --
    > selle
    > > Italia really got it right with this one.
    >
    > Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

    The slr is this one: http://tinyurl.com/nuaq

    The difference... except the design I don't know because I didn't tried one... maybe soon! :)
    The San Marco Aspide seems to be in the same category. Now the question that remains is:
    trans-am or not?

  7. I Francesco Devittori wrote:
    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:wLkab.10022$3%[email protected]...

    > Gelflow due

    >>>The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved
    >>
    > design,
    >
    >>IMO. If
    >>
    >>>you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found
    >>
    > that the
    >
    >>SLR was
    >>
    >>>immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight
    >>
    > comfort --
    >
    >>selle
    >>
    >>>Italia really got it right with this one.
    >>
    >>Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?
    >

    > The slr is this one: http://tinyurl.com/nuaq
    >
    > The difference... except the design I don't know because I didn't tried one... maybe soon! :)
    > The San Marco Aspide seems to be in the same category. Now the question that remains is:
    > trans-am or not?

    I used the Flite Trans-Am on Paris-Brest-Paris and found the cutout to quite helpful. Saddles seem
    to be a lot like shoes though--we each have our unique fit.

    Mark

  8. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    onefred wrote:
    >>..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
    >>a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
    >

    > The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
    > the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
    > comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
    > right with this one.
    >
    > Dave

    My experience has been different. For me, the SLR is far less comfortable than a standard Flite;
    I've never tried the TT. The SLR is light, and I can tolerate it for 2 or 3 hours, but now use it
    only for the rare occasions I enter a hillclimb race.

    Dave Lehnen