selle Italia SLR

Francesco Devit

Guest
I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia
SLR. Is it less confortable than a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about
the Flite TT? Another question: does the trans am (hole) make a difference? I mean, is there any
scientific proof that it's better than a regular saddle?

Thanks, Francesco

> ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
> a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?

The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
right with this one.

Dave

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:20:47 -0500, "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
>> a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
>
>The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
>the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
>comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
>right with this one.
>
>Dave

Can't be quite as authoritative as that, but I find a standard SLR much better than a standard
Flite, by about the same magnitude as the Flite was an improvement over the Turbo.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable
> > than a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
>
> The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design,
IMO. If
> you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the
SLR was
> immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort --
selle
> Italia really got it right with this one.

Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

Matt O.

> Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

It's probably the least comfortable looking one.
http://www.selleitalia.com/products/scheda.php3?itemid=6

It's lighter. It costs more. It seems to flex more than the Flite and this might explain why it is
more comfortable, I guess. <shrug>

I really can't explain it because it's just one of those things that you gotta try. It seems
reasonable to buy one for the comfort alone. The 100 grams saved is just a bonus.

Dave

news:wLkab.10022$3%[email protected]...

> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > > ..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable
> > > than a Flite
Gelflow due
> > > to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
> >
> > The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved
design,
> IMO. If
> > you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found
that the
> SLR was
> > immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight
comfort --
> selle
> > Italia really got it right with this one.
>
> Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?

The slr is this one: http://tinyurl.com/nuaq

The difference... except the design I don't know because I didn't tried one... maybe soon! :)
The San Marco Aspide seems to be in the same category. Now the question that remains is:
trans-am or not?

I Francesco Devittori wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:wLkab.10022$3%[email protected]...

> Gelflow due

>>>The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved
>>
> design,
>
>>IMO. If
>>
>>>you ride the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found
>>
> that the
>
>>SLR was
>>
>>>immediately comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight
>>
> comfort --
>
>>selle
>>
>>>Italia really got it right with this one.
>>
>>Which one is the SLR, and how is it different from a plain-old Flite?
>

> The slr is this one: http://tinyurl.com/nuaq
>
> The difference... except the design I don't know because I didn't tried one... maybe soon! :)
> The San Marco Aspide seems to be in the same category. Now the question that remains is:
> trans-am or not?

I used the Flite Trans-Am on Paris-Brest-Paris and found the cutout to quite helpful. Saddles seem
to be a lot like shoes though--we each have our unique fit.

Mark

onefred wrote:
>>..., but I wanted to ear some impressions about the Selle Italia SLR. Is it less confortable than
>>a Flite Gelflow due to the smaller/lighter design? And what about the Flite TT?
>

> The SLR is much more comfortable than any Flite. It's a much improved design, IMO. If you ride
> the Flite long enough, it will become tolerable, but I found that the SLR was immediately
> comfortable for both long and short hauls. Lightweight comfort -- selle Italia really got it
> right with this one.
>
> Dave

My experience has been different. For me, the SLR is far less comfortable than a standard Flite;
I've never tried the TT. The SLR is light, and I can tolerate it for 2 or 3 hours, but now use it
only for the rare occasions I enter a hillclimb race.

Dave Lehnen