Selle SMP vs Specialized Toupe

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bianchi10, Oct 30, 2009.

1. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I apologize for making a couple of threads regarding saddles. just want to narrow down some options.

I'm between the Selle SMP glider/stratos(not sure which one will fit my sit bones better at this point) and the Specialized Toupe.

I REALLY want to try the SMP but it seems as if there are no bike shops in my area that have one for me to try before buying. I like the clean aggressive look to it and think it would look fantastic on my bike.

I have made pretty good friends with a guy down at my bike shop and he said he would give me some killer discounts.(I work for red bull and give him a can or two when I go in) they have a returned toupe white/red that he said they could give me for $50! the saddle is BRAND NEW. the problem for me is when I look at the toupe I feel like it appears to be cheap, as if I got it form kmart or something. I care a lot how my bike looks and don't want to think my own bike has a cheap looking saddle. BUT more importantly I want a functional comfortable saddle.

Between the 2 which would you go with?

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

The one YOUR butt is happy with. There are few if any real answers in terms of saddles. They are a zillion makers with numerous models each. Try it first, if ya like it buy it, if you don't, swap. Getting a deeply discounted saddle 'may' mean you can't return or swap it. Depends on the shop.

Who sells the SMP for $185?

3. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

like I said, I can get a discount at this bike shop. He said I can try the toupe and return it if I dont like it. The saddle feels great in my hand, I like the flex it has, it is light, but it looks very cheap to me.
    I guess I was looking more for what people liked in their own experience with either one and which one they liked the looks of better. I am going to a dealer today that has a glider smp and said I can test ride it around the block or put it on a trainer. I am going to try that first and if I like it I will order a white one from my buddy for that discounted price. I think the smp just looks like a higher quality saddle.

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the SMP glider, but the Specialized Toupe comes in three widths (130mm, 143mm, 155mm) which really helps in terms of finding a comfortable fit.

Try more than one if you can before buying or talk to your dealer about a free exchange to a wider or narrower version if you take care to protect the saddle rails with electrical tape and ride the saddle for a few days. That's exactly the program at my LBS that convinced me that the 143mm Specialized Toupe was a much better fit than the narrower or wider versions.

Good luck,
    -Dave

5. Farmguy

Farmguy New Member

I have been on a Sella Stratos, (I think) saddle for the past year and I am very impressed with the fit and comfort, no issues with numbness or anything else. Average week for me is 100-120 miles, maybe a 3+ hrs on the weekends with 4-5 century's a year. I was not able to take it for a test ride as a slight drop would scuff a $250 saddle and if I did not like it, the shop would be stuck with a damaged seat. The LBS did set up a trainer and a DVD in a corner and let me have fun for as long as I wanted, I bought the seat. The guy did say that everyone he has sold one to, he has yet to hear a bad review. It is a spendy saddle, but for me it works.

6. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've tried both and where the Toupe is a 'pretender', the SMP is a 'contender'. For me, the SMP is a "6 hour saddle". Takes a ride or two to get accustomed, but after that it's like riding in a Cadillac...The Toupe was a Yugo in comparison...YMMV

7. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

here is another questing in regards to getting the right fit for the smp. on the ass-o-meter, I was rated 120 which barely put me into the 143. I have heard from several people that they were rated a 143 but rode a 130 OR rated a 130 and rode wider. I went to a local shop that wouldn't let me do anything with the saddle (smp glider) other than place it on a chair and sit on it. I was in jeans, obviously it wasn't positioned correctly but it hurt as if the rails were right in the crease of my parineal/inner thigh. almost like I was sitting on 2 rulers laying on their sides. would that mean the saddle was to wide or narrow? The cavity in the smp seems to be much wider than other saddles and have been told several times that it is imperative that I get the right saddle of the smp or it will be the worst saddle I have ever sat on.

that ridge I was feeling from that cavity...would that break in after time on it?

so should I go towards the stratos which is more narrow or go wider with the lite 209?

8. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

anyone ever tried a selle italia thoork?

9. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

does the fizik arione carbon have any kind of gel/silicone cover or is it plain carbon and hard on your rear? I see they describe it as a "technogel" but haven't been able to see what that really means.

10. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What have the looks of a saddle got to do with the function?

Trying a saddle by sitting on it in a chair, in jeans, tells you nothing about the saddle. It does tell you not to go back to that LBS again. Hell, riding a saddle on a trainer means nothing.

What others think of saddles is completely irrelevant. I've run into scads of people that think the SLR is a slice of fine cheese, but I think the thing is an a$$ hatchet.

Just start trying saddles. Trying a saddle by internet opinion is a sure fire way to end up with a saddle that doesn't work for you.

11. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

it doesn't and I know that as I stated before already. I was saying that I want a saddle that not ONLY is functional to my needs, but also looks good to compliment my bike. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

12. alienator

You know, when you're on the saddle, no one sees it. I think I'd put comfort number one and looks about number 38, as ugly won't keep you off the bike, while an uncomfortable saddle just might.

13. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

You're not the only one - for sure. Why do you think all these saddle manufacturers make colored saddles and not simply only black ones?

I just picked up a white and orange BMC frame and it will definitely be saddled with something other than basic black - most likely a white saddle, and maybe orange if I can find it...

Substance over style - for sure, but they're not mutually exclusive...Definitely there are those out there that have little to no style and couldn't care less, but if there's something worth doing (IMO) it's worth doing with a little style...

14. nbfman

nbfman New Member

I have not tried either one, but I voted for the SMP because I thought it looked better (just saw pictures) and because it seemed to be the more expensive of the two. And since the premise was that one of them is given to you, I would accept the pricier one for the chance to try a saddle I normally would not be able to afford.

If you can afford the SMP, since you already think the other one looks cheap, it sounds like you should go with the SMP and see how it goes.

15. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Hmmmmmm......
    Try at one shop, buy at another....bad form in my opinion but I own a bike shop so it's what you could expect.

16. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

well he didn't do anything to help me in the first place other than let me hold it in my hand and second, I am going to shop around and get it at the place where I can get it the cheapest. I'm not going to spend an extra $65+ just because the guy was friendly. Thats what people do when they shop around. You ever test drive a vehicle at one dealership and buy it 2 weeks later at a different dealer because they had it for cheaper?

17. cjj14u

cjj14u New Member

I have owned both and liked the Specialized better. The SMP was terrible for me personally. All that said, the BEST saddle I have ever ridden is Bontrager's RL or RXL in 146 width (for me).

18. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

the selle TECHNOLOGIKA.........so I found the seat I really want to try. not only is it the sexiest saddle I have seen, but it looks to have a shape that would fit me fairly well with the cavity cut out for my bits down south. My question is this....even though it has the "eva" padding on top of the carbon saddle, do you think the padding will really make that much of a difference to help? I am fairly thin and do not obtain much "natural padding" so I am concerned that it will be like sitting on that park bench or bleacher stand after a while of riding.

19. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

Im so tired of looking for a saddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. alienator

I take it the Technologika didn't work.....

Amount of padding isn't the important part. Shape of the saddle, flex of the saddle, and the kind of padding are the key points, with padding being the least important of the three. I know quite a few skinny guys that can spend an entire day on a CF saddle w/out padding.

I found the Toupe to have weak padding with a short lifespan. I prefer much more firm padding. Right now I ride an SSM Rever. I may give another a try, though, just to see if I can improve on the best I've found.