selling 90's avanti super sprint - how much?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by thebow, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. thebow

    thebow New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2003
    Hi,

    Now the new lear8000 is due in the next couple of days I want to sell my old bike.

    Problem is I have no idea of how much it would be worth.

    It's a 1993 avanti super sprint with 7spd shimano group set with Look pedals and computer.

    What would be a fair price to advertise this bike in the tradingpost or ebay?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    Depends on what group it has... if it has STi shifters, somewhere in the region of $300, with downtube shifters perhaps $200? Something like that, anyway. :) Really does depend on how good condition it's in, and a little more information on it would also be nice. :)

  3. thebow

    thebow New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2003
    I was thinking $200 as it's in pretty good condition and it does have downtube shifters rather than STI. Nothing really special got look 135 pedals cromo frame, new seat, cateye computer.

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I'd just keep it as a training/commuting bike so you can keep your good bike out of the rain. 7 speed is pretty durable so it's a good choice for commuters.

  5. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "thebow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Now the new lear8000 is due in the next couple of days I want to sell my old bike.
    >
    > Problem is I have no idea of how much it would be worth.
    >
    > It's a 1993 avanti super sprint with 7spd shimano group set with Look pedals and computer.
    >
    > What would be a fair price to advertise this bike in the tradingpost or ebay?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I would suggest putting it up on ebay with a low reserve. People will then bid it up to its value.
    If you put it in on ebay with a high starting price, no-one will bid on it.

    In the trading post, you may put $300 on it, but then you have to deal with people coming around,
    and you'll most likely have to drop the price below asking (people generally will bargain down).

    HTH

    Tim

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fa08cb7$0$1745
    > I would suggest putting it up on ebay with a low reserve. People will then bid it up to its value.
    > If you put it in on ebay with a high starting
    price,
    > no-one will bid on it.

    What do you have to go through to sell on ebay? How safe is it for buyer and seller? I have more
    bike stuff I want to sell and ebay is a nice option but I got burned once as a buyer...

    hippy

  7. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fa08cb7$0$1745
    > > I would suggest putting it up on ebay with a low reserve. People will
    then
    > > bid it up to its value. If you put it in on ebay with a high starting
    > price,
    > > no-one will bid on it.
    >
    > What do you have to go through to sell on ebay? How safe is it for buyer and seller? I have more
    > bike stuff I want to sell and ebay is a nice option but I got burned once as a buyer...

    As a seller, I think your main problem is people who bid then decide they don't want it - not a
    large risk as such from the money side. The other problem is you could mail something and they do
    not receive it (or say they don't) - pain in the a%$e.

    For bikes however, they are normally pickup only (or buyer arranges pickup by courier etc). See
    below that I am picking up tomorrow morning - it is a surprise for my son.

    (ebay link) http://tinyurl.com/t34j

    On the buyer side, either you have to trust them (the feedback system is good), or buy local and
    arrange pickup with cash.

    HTH

    Tim

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The other problem is you could mail something and they do not receive
    it (or say they
    > don't) - pain in the a%$e.

    That's the main thing I worry about. I've got some parts I want to sell and ebay would be nifty for
    mass exposure but if someone sooks that the item is not what I described and refuses to pay - what
    happens then?

    After some discussion with workmates, it seems that the buyer sends the money first and then I would
    send the goods. If they are not happy with it then the fun begins :)

    > For bikes however, they are normally pickup only (or buyer arranges
    pickup
    > by courier etc). See below that I am picking up tomorrow morning - it
    is a
    > surprise for my son. http://tinyurl.com/t34j

    Nice! :) I thought it was a full on DH bike until I read further down
    :)

    > On the buyer side, either you have to trust them (the feedback system
    is
    > good), or buy local and arrange pickup with cash.

    Cool. Thanks for that. Apparently buyers are rated too, so a seller can see if they are a serial
    complainer or something and can then refuse to sell to them..

    I need to have more of a look... anyone want some Look pedals or Brooks leather saddle? :)

    hippy

  9. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The other problem is you could mail something and they do not receive
    > it (or say they
    > > don't) - pain in the a%$e.
    >
    > That's the main thing I worry about. I've got some parts I want to sell and ebay would be nifty
    > for mass exposure but if someone sooks that the item is not what I described and refuses to pay -
    > what happens then?

    As said below, the regular thing is that the buyer will put money into your account (internet
    banking has really helped with this). In regards to not what you described, you really need photos
    on the site, and let them know to ask questions *before* bidding.

    > After some discussion with workmates, it seems that the buyer sends the money first and then I
    > would send the goods. If they are not happy with it then the fun begins :)
    >
    > > For bikes however, they are normally pickup only (or buyer arranges
    > pickup
    > > by courier etc). See below that I am picking up tomorrow morning - it
    > is a
    > > surprise for my son. http://tinyurl.com/t34j
    >
    > Nice! :) I thought it was a full on DH bike until I read further down
    > :)
    >
    > > On the buyer side, either you have to trust them (the feedback system
    > is
    > > good), or buy local and arrange pickup with cash.
    >
    > Cool. Thanks for that. Apparently buyers are rated too, so a seller can see if they are a serial
    > complainer or something and can then refuse to sell to them..

    On the buyer side, many seller say they won't sell to someone without feedback, as it is very easy
    to create an account after burning a seller.

    > I need to have more of a look... anyone want some Look pedals or Brooks leather saddle? :)

    Sorry, but not right now Josephine!

    Tim

  10. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    It's a 1993 avanti super sprint with 7spd shimano group set with Look pedals and computer.

    What would be a fair price to advertise this bike in the tradingpost or ebay?

    Shabby said- I'd just keep it as a training/commuting bike so you can keep your good bike out of the rain. 7 speed is pretty durable so it's a good choice for commuters.

    I agree with this. Older second hand bikes are worth nothing these days and you would get ripped off for sure. It's always nice to have a spare bike when you are running late for work and have a flat on the new bike :)

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "its_stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3fa[email protected]...
    > Shabby said- I'd just keep it as a training/commuting bike so you can keep your good bike out of
    > the rain. 7 speed is pretty durable so it's
    > good choice for commuters.
    >
    > I agree with this. Older second hand bikes are worth nothing these days and you would get ripped
    > off for sure. It's always nice to have a spare bike when you are running late for work and have a
    > flat on the new bike :)

    But is it getting ripped off if the bike is only going to lay in the garage for the rest of its
    useful life, only to be left out for hard-rubbish day when you move house?

    I used to be a collector - I had 9 bikes at one stage I think. Now, I have donated my bmx, I'm
    selling my Zebdi and I'm going to sell two older road bikes. I have basically got over the
    sentimental value of these bikes and realise that someone else could be riding them. I also want
    more space and less "stuff" in my life. My place is full of dreaded "stuff".

    Of course, if you've only got 1 or 2 bikes, having another bike as a rainy day spare or a "chippie"
    bike is a great idea. It's just that when you start getting near 10 bikes for every different type
    of riding you can think of... it might pay to question how useful they really are :)

    cfsmtb (and others) will probably tell you to hang onto them.. but she might be happier picking up
    your old bikes/parts cheaply for herself??? :)

    hippy Who else is suffering post-Cup Day ?

  12. thebow

    thebow New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2003
    I don't really want to keep old bikes for sentimental reasons and space is the main issue as I have no garage, only a small shed.

    Really getting anything for them would be cool as I will probably end up giving them away or tossing them in a few years anyway.

    I just upgraded my GF's and my MTB's and got a new Roadie so out with the old in with the new.