Selling Bikes in NYC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dmarkell, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Dmarkell

    Dmarkell Guest

    Wondering if someone has advice (okay, everyone has advice...) or experience in this...

    I'm moving up from a Sports Authority Royce Union bike and an older (but very nice) Univega Road
    Bike (which never really fit me properly - I bought it used and it was too big) to a real live
    hybrid from an LBS. I offered to trade in my bikes, but the owner said I'd do a lot better on
    selling them privately.

    I don't expect to make too much off them (maybe 75 bucks for the Royce Union and 125.00 for the
    Univega) but I'm having a hard time figuring on where to advertise.

    Normally, I'd put them on LOOT but when I went to the website it didn't look like they had any
    bikes. I really don't ebay is worth it, considering the price these bikes would bring.

    Is there any place in particular that someone in the New York City area knows about (buy lines, etc)
    that they've had good luck with?

    Denis Markell

    Tags:

  2. Lhoffman

    Lhoffman Guest

    > Is there any place in particular that someone in the New York City area knows about (buy lines,
    > etc) that they've had good luck with?

    Try craigslist.org. It's a free classified listing by city, that gets a suprising amount of traffic.
    I used the Chicago flavor to list my apartment, and got several responses. Besides, it's free.

  3. Zeldabee

    Zeldabee Guest

    [email protected] (DMarkell) wrote:

    > Is there any place in particular that someone in the New York City area knows about (buy lines,
    > etc) that they've had good luck with?

    I've seen FS posts in nyc.bicycles, and no one seems to be upset by it. And there's always
    nyc.forsale. You could also put up signs in your local laundormat and cafe. Someone else mentioned
    craigslist...I can second that. I got my apartment through craigslist.

    --
    z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

  4. Dmarkell

    Dmarkell Guest

    >> Is there any place in particular that someone in the New York City area
    >knows
    >> about (buy lines, etc) that they've had good luck with?
    >>

    >Try craigslist.org. It's a free classified listing by city, that gets a suprising amount of
    >traffic. I used the Chicago flavor to list my apartment, and got several responses. Besides,
    >it's free.

    That's a great idea. Thanks! I have a friend who uses it here all the time.

    Denis

  5. [email protected] (DMarkell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Normally, I'd put them on LOOT but when I went to the website it didn't look like they had any
    > bikes. I really don't ebay is worth it, considering the price these bikes would bring.
    >
    > Is there any place in particular that someone in the New York City area knows about (buy lines,
    > etc) that they've had good luck with?

    Pick up a paper copy of LOOT at a newsstand - it has tons of bikes.

    - James