Selling frameset process

trijicon

Jul 7, 2005
I am about to put up my fairly new 04 Kestrel Talon frameset for sale and swap out the components for the Talon SL frameset I just bought. I've never disassembled a frame from its components before. Should I do it myself or should I have a local bike shop disassemble it for me?? I kinda don't want a LBS to do it because I don't want to pay. Is it possible for me to disassemble it myself??

Also, where is the best place to sell my Kestrel Talon frame set? Here? I want to avoid ebay due to the fees?

Thanx in advance for your help

Francis

trijicon said:
I am about to put up my fairly new 04 Kestrel Talon frameset for sale and swap out the components for the Talon SL frameset I just bought. I've never disassembled a frame from its components before. Should I do it myself or should I have a local bike shop disassemble it for me?? I kinda don't want a LBS to do it because I don't want to pay. Is it possible for me to disassemble it myself??

Also, where is the best place to sell my Kestrel Talon frame set? Here? I want to avoid ebay due to the fees?

Thanx in advance for your help

Francis

Of course it's possible for you do to it yourself, but at a bare minumum (assuming you don't knock out the headset cups) you're going to need a bb socket and crank puller. Not super expensive tools, but if you don't have them that could be a factor. It's easy to take down a bike.

Taking apart a bike is pretty easy. As long as you feel comfortable enough to do it.

I agree with the previous post. Headset cups and bottom bracket will be a pain without the right tools.

But just call around to various bike shops and see how much they might charge to pull out the BB and headset cups. It might be cheaper than buying the tools.

Great thanx guys!

Now where is the best place to sell my Talon frameset. Here, craigslist,etc? Oh and is there a rule of thumb as to how much to price used equipment. I know in the photography world it is 80% of current retail price. Is this about right for pricing bike equipment?

trijicon said:
I know in the photography world it is 80% of current retail price. Is this about right for pricing bike equipment?
Only for the delusional.

EBay does charge fees, but for the increased visibility you might want to consider it. As I recall the fee structure is pretty fair.

I don't know how many eyes see this forum, but I do know if I was in the market for a used bicycle frame I would probably check eBay, as I do with many purchases. I don't know if the cyclists that would be interested in purchasing this frame would be the same as me though. :)

Also, your success will depend on how many people look for frames during the week or so your auction will be available.

The listing fee if an item isn't sold is relatively low, so it may be worth a try for you, although you tend to get more looks if you have a good feedback rating, which takes time to develop.

If you think you can get as high a price with a smaller (more targetted) audience, then go for it. Unless you are in a hurry, try a few free options first, then if they don't work out, check out EBay and see if it gets you a reasonable return in a timely manner.

With EBay, and a PayPal account, you can also accept credit cards, which opens up your item to some buyers that don't have the cash available (another fee involved per transaction).

dgregory57 said:
EBay does charge fees, but for the increased visibility you might want to consider it. As I recall the fee structure is pretty fair.

I don't know how many eyes see this forum, but I do know if I was in the market for a used bicycle frame I would probably check eBay, as I do with many purchases. I don't know if the cyclists that would be interested in purchasing this frame would be the same as me though. :)

Also, your success will depend on how many people look for frames during the week or so your auction will be available.

The listing fee if an item isn't sold is relatively low, so it may be worth a try for you, although you tend to get more looks if you have a good feedback rating, which takes time to develop.

If you think you can get as high a price with a smaller (more targetted) audience, then go for it. Unless you are in a hurry, try a few free options first, then if they don't work out, check out EBay and see if it gets you a reasonable return in a timely manner.

With EBay, and a PayPal account, you can also accept credit cards, which opens up your item to some buyers that don't have the cash available (another fee involved per transaction).

Great thanx for the advice. You've been a lot of help unlike some others. (Can never trust those frogs)