Semi aero training rim for clinchers

PaulMD

Jul 26, 2006
I am looking for a quality semi-aero rim for training purpose and riding in the French Alps (plus riding the Marmotte). It should fit clinchers (tubular is no option).

I want to build a wheel with a Powertap SL 2.4 rear hub, 28 Sapim CX-ray spokes and I am thinking of a rim with a height of 25mm to 40mm for aero advantages. It must not be too heavy. But most important is that it is reliable.

What is the best rim I can get in Europe (The Netherlands)?

1.) The DT Swiss RR1.2 is a 30mm rim but a little bit heavy (claimed weight 580 gram and doesn't have eyelets).

2.) The AM CR420 has a light (claimed weight 420 gram) and aero 34mm rim but it is not bomb proof and it's a wheelset and I am looking for rims.

3.) I have never heard about the SpeedCific Niobium 30 Aero Rim before but with 30mm it's the same as the DT swiss but it's lighter: claimed weight 465 gram. But what is the quality of that rim?

4.) I also have never heard before about the DELTA AVANTGARDE with a 31mm rim and a claimed weight of 450 gram. What's the quality of that rim?

5.) The Velocity Deep V has good reviews but I don't know a shop in The Netherlands that sells it. Claimed weight is 520 gram. On scales of users it is around 580 gram. I thought it's 30mm deep. Should this be a good option (or best option)?

6.) Or should I spend more money on the rim and go for a Zipp Clincher? I heard lots of complaints about the zipp rims. But they look so coool. A Zipp 417 rim is 40mm height, weights 550 gram but is it that durable and reliable that I can train on it?

PaulMD said:
I am looking for a quality semi-aero rim for training purpose and riding in the French Alps (plus riding the Marmotte). It should fit clinchers (tubular is no option).

I want to build a wheel with a Powertap SL 2.4 rear hub, 28 Sapim CX-ray spokes and I am thinking of a rim with a height of 25mm to 40mm for aero advantages. It must not be too heavy. But most important is that it is reliable.

What is the best rim I can get in Europe (The Netherlands)?

1.) The DT Swiss RR1.2 is a 30mm rim but a little bit heavy (claimed weight 580 gram and doesn't have eyelets).

2.) The AM CR420 has a light (claimed weight 420 gram) and aero 34mm rim but it is not bomb proof and it's a wheelset and I am looking for rims.

3.) I have never heard about the SpeedCific Niobium 30 Aero Rim before but with 30mm it's the same as the DT swiss but it's lighter: claimed weight 465 gram. But what is the quality of that rim?

4.) I also have never heard before about the DELTA AVANTGARDE with a 31mm rim and a claimed weight of 450 gram. What's the quality of that rim?

5.) The Velocity Deep V has good reviews but I don't know a shop in The Netherlands that sells it. Claimed weight is 520 gram. On scales of users it is around 580 gram. I thought it's 30mm deep. Should this be a good option (or best option)?

6.) Or should I spend more money on the rim and go for a Zipp Clincher? I heard lots of complaints about the zipp rims. But they look so coool. A Zipp 417 rim is 40mm height, weights 550 gram but is it that durable and reliable that I can train on it?
I suggest option 5, even though it is heavier than you think you want, it is durable and reliable. Velocity Deep V makes for a strong and stiff wheel.
If the weight bothers you too much, you can scale back to Velocity Fusion.
The aerodynamic difference will be hard to measure.
I am sorry I can't help you with availability in the Netherlands.

I've got a Deep V with a PTap hub. It's aero looking at least....deep, reasonably light and super strong. I am a Clydesdale and it has held up to me just fine.

BillM said:
I've got a Deep V with a PTap hub. It's aero looking at least....deep, reasonably light and super strong. I am a Clydesdale and it has held up to me just fine.
Will the Velocity Deep V be bombproof with 24 sapim cx ray spokes or should I go to 28 spokes? I am 75kg but like to ride over potholes.

HED also makes some carbon rims with alloy rim cap. The HED Alps look also nice are 55mm height and much cheaper than a Zipp. Hmmm, difficult :cool:

PaulMD said:
Will the Velocity Deep V be bombproof with 24 sapim cx ray spokes or should I go to 28 spokes? I am 75kg but like to ride over potholes.

HED also makes some carbon rims with alloy rim cap. The HED Alps look also nice are 55mm height and much cheaper than a Zipp. Hmmm, difficult :cool:
I don't know enough about spoke tensions and wheel building to answer your question other than to say that mine is 28 spoke and I would quantify it as bombproof. I am a Clydesdale and it takes everything I dish out to it.

You may also want to consider the Mavic CXP33, 470g in 700c and a 25mm profile. Not exactly aero like a Zipp but very strong. I have built several wheels for heavy riders using this rim.
Regarding the number of spokes in your wheel, it is really a tradeoff of strength vs. some weight. I personally don't worry about the few grams I can shave off of a wheel going from 32 to 28 spokes when I consider what a broken spoke will do to a ride. For racing weight can be an issue, but for training or the riding you describe I would propose that a stronger wheel for a few grams more is a small tradeoff for peace of mind... especially if you like riding across the potholes!

Regarding the Sapim CX-Ray spokes, they are excellent spokes but a bit fussy to true due to spoke twist. Not really a negative, just something to consider. They are my spoke of choice when building a high-end wheel.