Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Light and Healthy Baki^H^H^H^HDesserts"

Ubiquitous

Guest
OhgawdOhgawdOhgawd! I think I bust a gut from laughing!

SLop enters with this startled look on her face, until now only seen on Janet
Reno, carrying a piece of angel statuary. As the camera shows her putting it in
the counter in extreme close up, a clumsy post-edit voice-over of her says
"NOW, I'm going to you ALL about the great BAKING we'll be doing today!!".
Apparently she thought this week's ep was "Light and Healthy BAKING". She then
screws up that saying about "eating your cake and having it too" that annoys me
to no end.

When we return from the opening credits, SLop tells us it's going to be a
brilliant day because this ep is all about "Low fat light BAKING!". She places
twelve wontons onto a baking sheet, telling us "You can put the wontons next to
each other b/c they don't rise". But if they did rise, wouldn't that mean that
they grew upward and not sideways? She mixes some "nice" honey with "NICE hot
water" from the sink faucet. She bastes the wontons and then "puts the wontons
back into the oven". Huh?

For a filling, she mixes some "rich and thick and delicious" ricotta cheese
with one cup of low fat sour cream (as she holds the Rachel Ray container in
front of her mouth, a clumsy post-production voice-over "this WHOLE container"
is heard) into a food processor, to which she cuts open, nearly spilling a good
amount of the contents, and then adds, an envelope of instant vanilla pudding
mix and some vanilla extract. Struggling with the food processor, she scoops
the mixture into a bowl and adds some lemon zest so it tastes "nice and fresh
and right out of her garden".

Grabbing a baking sheet on the counter behind her, accompanied by a clumsy
post-production voice-over "Here are some that I made earlier", she assembles
the vaugely-familiar napoleons with nine wontons by alternating wontons with
the filling about three levels high. Strangely enough, I think I've seen that
blue boat-shaped tray before... She confides that she adds vanilla or
strawberry extract to Cool Whip so it tastes homemade. She embellishes a tub of
Rachel Ray Cool Whip, and uses a glad bag to apply a small dollop to the
napoleons, presumably throwing the rest of the Cool Whip away. She deep throats
a large spoonful of the left-over pudding mixture as we bop out to commercial
break.

We return from commercial with SLop telling us this ep is all about "low fat
deserts". I guess someone set her straight. Bringing out another tub of Rachel
Ray Cool Whip, she declares she's going to make the phyllo cups. She opens the
roll of phyllo dough, slaps it onto the counter and roughly rolls it open on
the counter top, telling us to treat it gently because it's fragile.
A post-production voice-over adds "this is light and wonderful pastry".
She sprays PAM on it, makes some cinnamon sugar, sprinkles a pinch over the
dough, adds another layer of dough, sprays it again with PAM, and sprinkles
another layer of cinnamon sugar, topping it off with a final layer of dough.
Using a pizza cutter, she cuts it into eight "square" rectangles and then
stuffs them into a muffin tin, babbling something about how no cup will be
identical in appearance. For some reason she uses half of the muffin tin,
skipping every other one as if it's going to expand when it is baked. She
creates a filling with instant chocolate pudding mix and instant eXpresso,
mixed with a hand mixer on low; otherwise you'll get powder EVERYWHERE. She
pulls out the cups from the oven and fills three with chocolate pudding and
eXpresso mix, using a Glad bag to fill the cups instead of a spoon and then
uses an entire tub of Cool whip in a Glad bag to place a tiny off-center dollop
on each and finally dusting with coco powder. Yes, she threw the rest of both
bags away. SLop then attempts to deep throat one, only to have it audibly
shatter apart in her hands, forcing her to hastily exit stage right. I guess
it's better than because she got third degree burns in her mouth and throat.

When we return from commercial break, SLop talks about how intimidated she was
by making meringues and begins making something. Meringues, I assume. After
whipping the meringues sufficiently, she cries "It's going to be BEAUtiful!"
and she starts uncontrollably licking the RA whipper attachment before dropping
it into the sink. A trick to make perfect meringue cakes, she tells us, is to
place a salad plate on parchment paper and use a pencil to make outlines for
the meringue. With all the solemnity of the Surgeon General, she pauses to tell
us "This is VERY important! I want you to turn the parchment paper upside down
because you do not want to bake on that lead! This is VERY important!" She
spreads the meringue into the shape of the saucer outlines to make disks. She
pops them into the oven for an indeterminate time and says there two type of
fillings. She begins with sugar free and fat free instant lemon pudding mix and
adds milk. SLop is amazed at how fast it begins to "set up". For a second
layer, she takes a new tub of Rachel Ray Cool Whip, described by a series of
clumsy post-production voice-overs as "a. Low-FAT. WHIPPED. Topping.". She
empties half into a bowl and adds some strawberries and strawberry extract (so
it tastes homade?). She assembles the meringue cake by dumping half the pudding
onto a meringue, topping it with another, then dumping some cool whip on top,
topping it with a third meringue, some more pudding, and another meringue and
the rest of the coolwhip. She garnishes it with a sprig of mint, some
strawberries she set aside, and some lemon zest.

When we return from commercial, we can tell by the graphic on the screen that
it's now "Sandra's Cocktail Time!". SL enters with a bottle of port wine.
Psyche! No cocktail time! In its place, she makes a dried fruit compote. She
puts port and sugar into a pan to heat up, then adds a bunch of random dried
fruits and cranberries (because they're worth it!) and boils it. She exclaims
that she loves the fruit because it soaks up the port and sugar and then spoons
out some that is at a roiling boil in a pan over some frozen yogurt which
somehow resists melting into a puddle. Grabbing a couple goblets of the
compote, she moseys over to the table scape at the "kiddie table". Oddly
enough, the tablescape is rather tame, consisting of cloth remnants in this
week's color (lavendar) with fake purple rose petals strewn about. The compote
glasses are set on big silver serving platters like you'd see at King Henry
VIII's dinner. Sandra shows us her "clever" idea of stuffing the napkins into
the lavendar coffee cups on the table before pimping the web site and exiting
with a double baby-claw wave.

--
"Paper plates -- easy to get year round." Sandra Lee, "All American Girl
Party"

Still obsessing over the show, I see ......

Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!

2. tsr3 Oct 3, 7:11 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv, alt.tv.food-network, rec.food.cooking
From: "tsr3" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: 3 Oct 2005 19:11:03 -0700

Subject: Re: Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Light and Healthy
"Still obsessing over the show, I see ......

Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!
-----------------------------------
I agree, --Ubiquitous is
just a big snore.
I watch Sandra Lee as often as possible. She's a Southern Belle type,
which may put some of you off. But she knows what she's doing. See
how expertly she handles her materials. Personally, I'm not much
interested in her table decorations. I don't know why "Ubi" criticizes
her using short-cuts. That's the whole "point" ! Semi-Homemade--get
it ? Her whole show is a deliberate contrast to the extreme perfection
of Martha Stewart . That's why she came up with this idea. And I
admire Martha Stewart greatly--in all ways. But sometimes it's a long
day, and a few short-cuts are just the thing.
Nancree

nancree wrote:
> I agree, --Ubiquitous is
> just a big snore.
> I watch Sandra Lee as often as possible. She's a Southern Belle type,
> which may put some of you off. But she knows what she's doing. See
> how expertly she handles her materials. Personally, I'm not much
> interested in her table decorations. I don't know why "Ubi" criticizes
> her using short-cuts. That's the whole "point" ! Semi-Homemade--get
> it ? Her whole show is a deliberate contrast to the extreme perfection
> of Martha Stewart . That's why she came up with this idea. And I
> admire Martha Stewart greatly--in all ways. But sometimes it's a long
> day, and a few short-cuts are just the thing.

Yabbut... spraying pastry with PAM??? There's a joke in an episode of
The Simpsons that addresses the same behavior (only for them it's
english muffins), and to shill PAM-coating pastry dough as just a
"shortcut" is as disgusting as the product itself.

Beer-tinis?!

Sandra is trailer trash reconceived by a television network promoting a
misguided "you can do it, too" attitude. Where it is obvious that Jeff
Foxworthy and "My Name is Earl" play ignorant for yuks, Food TV tries to
make Sandra earnest and wholesome by retrofitting a capital C onto
"cracker."

As for how expertly she handles her materials: I learned to open pudding
cups in my youth. That doesn't mean I knew what I was doing in the kitchen.

To her credit, though, I DO believe she knows what she's doing. To her
discredit, I DON'T believe she knows how silly and gross it gets sometimes.

<like admitting she thinks adding vanilla or strawberry flavoring to
Cool Whip makes it taste like homemade... homemade WHAT?>

in article [email protected], nancree at

> 2. tsr3 Oct 3, 7:11 pm show options
>
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv, alt.tv.food-network, rec.food.cooking
> From: "tsr3" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
> Date: 3 Oct 2005 19:11:03 -0700
>
> Subject: Re: Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Light and Healthy
> "Still obsessing over the show, I see ......
>
> Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!

Nope. They're WAY better than the show, and make the show that much more
enjoyable.

> -----------------------------------
> I agree, --Ubiquitous is
> just a big snore.

And you would of course be wrong.

> I watch Sandra Lee as often as possible.

How sad for you.

> She's a Southern Belle type,
> which may put some of you off. But she knows what she's doing.

LOL! So not. I take it you work for her?

See
> how expertly she handles her materials.

Like when she drags her sleeves in the food?

Personally, I'm not much
> interested in her table decorations. I don't know why "Ubi" criticizes
> her using short-cuts.

He's just pointing out her massive incompetence.

That's the whole "point" ! Semi-Homemade--get
> it ? Her whole show is a deliberate contrast to the extreme perfection
> of Martha Stewart . That's why she came up with this idea. And I
> admire Martha Stewart greatly--in all ways.

Wow. That's REALLY sad.

--

You Can't Stop the Signal

[email protected] wrote:

>Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!

And yet you continue to read every one of them.

--
WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:50:04 -0600, pennyaline
<[email protected]> wrote:

>nancree wrote:
>> I agree, --Ubiquitous is
>> just a big snore.
>> I watch Sandra Lee as often as possible. She's a Southern Belle type,
>> which may put some of you off. But she knows what she's doing. See
>> how expertly she handles her materials. Personally, I'm not much
>> interested in her table decorations. I don't know why "Ubi" criticizes
>> her using short-cuts. That's the whole "point" ! Semi-Homemade--get
>> it ? Her whole show is a deliberate contrast to the extreme perfection
>> of Martha Stewart . That's why she came up with this idea. And I
>> admire Martha Stewart greatly--in all ways. But sometimes it's a long
>> day, and a few short-cuts are just the thing.

There is nothing wrong with shortcuts, but when Sandra Lee mixes a
chili seasoning packet, taco seasoning, a packet of ranch dressing,
and spagetti sauce mix and then says it tastes great, she loses all
credibility in my book.

>Yabbut... spraying pastry with PAM??? There's a joke in an episode of
>The Simpsons that addresses the same behavior (only for them it's
>english muffins), and to shill PAM-coating pastry dough as just a
>"shortcut" is as disgusting as the product itself.

The Calorie Commando does this all the time instead of using butter or
oil. That doesn't make it any less disgusting, though.

tsr3 wrote:
> Still obsessing over the show, I see ......
>
> Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!

actually I find them pretty darn funny. If YOU find them boring, why do
you keep bothering to read 'em?
Goomba

in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at
[email protected] wrote on 10/4/05 2:32 AM:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!

> And yet you continue to read every one of them.

Slops food is awful but they watch the shows.

:-D

--

You Can't Stop the Signal

nancree wrote:

> Subject: Re: Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Light and Healthy
> "Still obsessing over the show, I see ......
>
> Your essays are........ZZZZZZZZ......BORING!!
> -----------------------------------
> I agree, --Ubiquitous is
> just a big snore.
> I watch Sandra Lee as often as possible. She's a Southern Belle type,
> which may put some of you off. But she knows what she's doing. See
> how expertly she handles her materials

Are you on drugs?!?! I SAW this episode... she was so "expert" at
"handling her materials" as she cut open a packet of instant pudding
(blech) that she did it sideways and half the powder fell out onto the
counter as she went.
Goomba

<[email protected]> wrote

> The Calorie Commando does this all the time instead of using butter or
> oil. That doesn't make it any less disgusting, though.

Ugh, Pam on phyllo, like nails on a chalkboard.

Speaking of Calorie Commando, has anyone noticed that the
new show is in his old set? They didn't even try to fake
it, it's the exact set. I'm sorry, I think the guys are Dan and
Steve, something like that. I guess FoodTV figured they had
put enough money into them already.

So, which of you are signing up for the new (next star)
competition?

nancy

Alright. She has finally done an episode that actually had me screaming at
the television. Meringue cakes????!?!?!! My God in Heaven! Pastry chefs
around the world were fainting as she did this. They looked like sh--.
BTW, Snadra, they are called Vacherin ----- not merinue cakes. AND you pipe
the meringue, you don't "shmear" it on parchment paper. You also DON'T dump
sugar into the egg whites when you are whipping them, you SLOWLY add the
sugar in. For this type of dessert --- which is supposed to be extremely
LIGHT, you DON'T put pudding in between the layers. ****, I'm gonna bust a
blood vessel just thinking about it again.

Another little lesson -- pencils use graphite --- not lead. You freakin
moron.

To address Nancree: stop whining about our entertainment. No one is
holding a gun to your head to read these things. Instead of wasting our
time, find someone else to irritate. I understand that standing at a
gorilla cage and poking the gorilla with a stick is a wonderful time.....

Keep it up Ubi. We'll share rants sometime.

Lisa ;-)

Ubiquitous wrote:

> She spreads the meringue into the shape of the saucer outlines to make
> disks.

That looked really difficult to get exactly right. Wouldn't it be easier
ot use a cheesecake pan without the bottom?

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:24:03 -0700, ANIM8Rfsk wrote:

> Nope. They're WAY better than the show, and make the show that much more
> enjoyable.

BZZZZT! Wrong.

When Ubi first started with his commentary on the blonde dope I
protested that he need not look at her. Well, since then I've been
watching her and she's better than any 'I Love Lucy' re-run. I
apologized to Ubi several weeks ago, but I don't know if he saw it or
not.

Sandra is an alcoholic twit. She comes up with concoctions that look
absolutely revolting. And her techniques and instructions are a hoot.
I think it was last week she was mangling some sort of pastry dough.
Her instructions about separating it was to do it in the refrigerator.
Huh? My 'frig is pretty darn big, but I don't think I could get in
there to separate dough.

I saw the meringue episode and opening the pudding package sideways and
spilling half of it. I still don't get her idea of adding vanilla
extract to Cool Whip, it must be a delicacy is the Lee household. No
wonder they are always swilling down the liquor at her house.

Sandra is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

On 4 Oct 2005 22:57:20 -0700, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Sandra is an alcoholic twit.

Oh?

> Sandra is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Soooo - why does she make more money than you've ever dreamed of?

sf wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2005 22:57:20 -0700, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
> > Sandra is an alcoholic twit.

> Oh?

She's almost orgasmic when she get around liquor.

> > Sandra is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

> Soooo - why does she make more money than you've ever dreamed of?

Because I don't have a millionaire husband (known as "The Wallet") to
bankroll me to get on tv to make a fool out of myself. That's my story
and I'm sticking to it, what's your excuse?

On 3-Oct-2005, [email protected] (Ubiquitous) wrote:

> OhgawdOhgawdOhgawd! I think I bust a gut from laughing!

[...]

> --
> "Paper plates -- easy to get year round." Sandra Lee, "All American Girl
> Party"

You poor pathetic person. You spend so much time and effort badmouthing
Sarah Lee. Perhaps you are jealous that she can make a life putting on a
cooking show on TV. Have you not discovered the channel button on your remote?
What is missing from your life that you have to spend so much time finding
fault with others? Would you really like to arrange a cookoff with Sarah Lee?
Perhaps that could be arranged. Do you have the balls to challenge her on
national TV?
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick wrote:

> You poor pathetic person. You spend so much time and effort badmouthing
> Sarah Lee. Perhaps you are jealous that she can make a life putting on a
> cooking show on TV. Have you not discovered the channel button on your remote?
> What is missing from your life that you have to spend so much time finding
> fault with others? Would you really like to arrange a cookoff with Sarah Lee?
> Perhaps that could be arranged. Do you have the balls to challenge her on
> national TV?

Oh good grief.. get a grip. You obviously miss the entire fun in
watching her. Did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater? Do you ever
see the humor in bad movies(or in this case cooking)??
Are you REALLY so bereft of humor?

"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote

> Oh good grief.. get a grip. You obviously miss the entire fun in watching
> her. Did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater? Do you ever see the humor
> in bad movies(or in this case cooking)??
> Are you REALLY so bereft of humor?

Pathetic, isn't it?

nancy