Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: More klAssy kookin'

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ubiquitous, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses look with
    Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in Sandra's kitchen. Oh,
    sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking crimped and bleached hair.
    She babbles about having a classy booze and dinner party and we cut to a
    mini-cake with a ridiculously too-large disco mirror ball on top of it. Hey!
    This is that disco theme we saw on ET last Xmas!

    We return form the opening credits to more of the tipsy-cam ™ as SLop
    declares this ep is "all about cocktails, tiarrahs, and bowties'. She
    removes some of the pre-chive roasted potatoes from the oven and sets them
    aside so they "set up", making sure to emphasise this point for some reason,
    then makes some more, claiming that people will be scarfing these things
    down, by cutting some potatoes into strips, except she's really slicing them
    lengthwise into disks. Moron. She puts the brownish potato disks into a bowl
    and drizzles them with olive oil and salt. She then tells us to add fresh
    chives because she prefers the fresh to dried (I kid you not!) and then
    pretends to chop the chives. Thanks to a quick cut, there is suddenly a huge
    mound of chopped chives on the countertop! She puts the chives into the bowl
    and gives them a "good toss" by using a spoon to flip over two slices of
    potato and puts them onto a baking sheet, adding that the oil will keep them
    from sticking. She tells us to put the potato disks into the oven for 2
    minutes at 400 degrees, but I doubt they'll be done that fast. She then
    makes a sour cream and horseradish sauce for the topping, reminding us that
    we shouldn't use too much horseradish. SLop tells us we don't have to buy
    expensive caviar because no one will notice and the flavours will melt
    together and they make the potatoes classy. She dabs the potatoes with a
    little bit of the sour cream mixture and then tops them off with the cheap
    caviar. I am laughing too hard at this point to hear her reasoning, but I
    think she said she wanted to do this swawwwray on the cheap and didn't think
    anyone could tell the difference. She then uses a plastic knife because a
    metal spoon would make it taste funny. I suspect that's just the cheap
    caviar, sweetie. She dusts the plate with more chives and exits stage left
    just in time for the commercial break.

    We return from commercial to an empty and silent kitchen. Aroused from her
    drunken slumber, SLop enters stage right with a can and a couple flavour
    packets in hand and tells us that she's going to show us how to make a herb
    salt crusted prime rib like you get a those fancy restaurants. To a large
    bowl of kosher salt, she adds a packet of Italian dressing and marvels over
    all the herbs and seasonings in it, adding how expensive it would be to buy
    them fresh and separately. Like a cat in a litter pan, she covers up the
    packet contents in the bowl and adds a a container of egg whites and some
    water. SLop then grabs a bottle of wine and empties it over the prime rib.
    Correction. It's a wine-bottle sized bottle of Worcestershire sauce. She
    lovingly massages the sauce into the meat, wipes her hands on a paper towel,
    and then sprinkles a generous portion of "seasoned pepper" over the ribs to
    "infuse it with flavour". We suddenly cut to a pink stunt roast with a
    thermometer sticking out of it. She prepares a bed of salt in the bottom of
    an aluminum foil lined baking dish and covers it with the salt mixture. With
    a gleeful "Me washie handsies! Me washie handsies!", she finally washes her
    hands, reminding us to use soap after handling meat. Snatching the
    thermometer from the stunt meat, she tells us to cook it for about 12
    minutes per pound at 425 degrees, then tells us to cook it for about 14-16
    minutes per pound. Huh? Sandra then places a saucepan halfway between two
    burners and empties a can of beef broth and a package of onion soup mix into
    it and tells us to let it simmer. Without moving the pan or turning on the
    stove, she whisks the "faux jus" with a fork. For once, SLop has let her
    meat rest but inadequately describes the juices as being sucked right back
    into the meat. SLop tries to use a knife to crack the salt shell, but then
    ends up using Brycer's stupid toy rolling pin. OK, so why did she add that
    seasoning to the salt crust, again? She puts the meat onto a cutting board
    and attempts to slice the way-too-pink-for-my-comfort meat into rough
    chunks. As we head to commercial, we get to hear the extended version of her
    bumper music as she struggles with her meat.

    We return from the commercial break with a glamour shot of the champagne
    cake with a mini disco ball on top. Sandra enters stage right with the now
    familiar tub of white icing and champagne extract and claims her girlfriend
    makes this all the time. She puts some white cake mix into a bowl but only
    adds the egg whites, adding you can use store bought egg whites too. She
    then adds some vegetable oil and champagne, adding that it has to be a dry
    champagne. As she pours it into the bowl, she calls it "sparkling wine". She
    mixes it with a hand blender, warning us to use the lowest setting so it
    doesn't go flying all over the kitchen (hmmm), then puts it into a baking
    pan. Using a three inch biscuit cutter (you can use an empty pineapple can
    if you want), she punches out six smaller cakes and sets the scraps aside to
    make trifle later. What's wrong, are twinkies not good enough for your
    trifle now? She plops one of the mini-cakes onto an icing pedestal (instead
    of a plate on an inverted bowl for once) and ices it with the frosting
    embellished with the extract. Once she is finished, she dusts it with
    sanding sugar and some silver dragees (hmm, aren't those non-edible?) and
    tops it with a lime-size disco mirror ball. It looks as ridiculous as it
    sounds. As we head out to commercial, she tries to keep her composure as she
    announces her cocktail and tablesscape are up next.

    During the commercial break, I see a Food Network ad which features a quick
    clip of Snadra in a green dress with a matching *tini chowing down on a
    chocolate-dipped strawberry like Shamu eating a fish at Sea World. Ewwww.

    When we return from commercial, we can tell by the graphic on the screen
    that
    it's now "Sandra's Cocktail Time!". SLop enters, stage right, with this
    strangely ecstatic look on her face as she shakes two bottles of red booze
    in her hands like maracas as she sing-songs "It's cocktail time!!". She
    tells us she likes this one because you can make it year-round, but loves it
    on the holidays because it is egg-nog based. I have no clue what she is
    babbling on about until she reveals that using vanilla ice cream means you
    can have it any time of year. Whatever. She adds a scoop of vanilla ice
    cream, some egg nog (one can substitute one of those vanilla yogurt drinks),
    a "little bit" of brandy (glug glug glug), and a "little bit" of amaretto
    (glug glug glug). SLop offers up a serving tip. As she struggles with
    sticking a martini glass of epic proportions onto a plate of sugar, she
    tells us to soak a paper towel with water or champagne. According to her,
    this makes the glasses coated just enough. She then pours the rest of the
    drink in the blender into some of the champagne glasses in her "champagne
    glass bowkay" that will serve as her tablescape centerpiece. Half contain
    the "crystal cocktail" and the rest have champagne. If this isn't the proof
    that one needs to have an intervention and taken directly to the Betty Ford
    Clinic, I do not know what is. Incidentally, when I stopped the tape to get
    a better look at this monstrosity of a centerpiece, I caught Sandra leering
    over the top of the it like Linda Blair in The Exercise. Holy crap! Sandra
    then picks up her drink and a cheap-looking silver box with a hinged lid and
    strolls over to her tablescape. Umm, aren't you forgetting something? She
    then procedes to tell us that she took some cheap cardboard boxes with
    aluminum foil glued to it, filled it with "silver filler" (ie., Xmas tree
    tinsel), a baseball-sized disco mirror ball, and a "computer-generated
    invitation", and then mailed them out as invitations to her guests,
    mentioning that they only cost a couple dollars to make. At this point, I
    feel profound pity for those poor souls who are on her party list and
    continuously receive these bizarre things in the mail from her. Hmm, I bet
    it costs more to mail those invitations than to make them. Anyhow, I'd like
    to add at this point that this tablescape easily rivals the "Poo and Pee
    Party" one for retinal burn-out -- everything in the room is white or coated
    with silver, and there are various small white (natch) candles all over the
    place. This, combined with the Vaseline on the camera lens, makes it very
    difficult to see what's going on. Did I mention there's about half a dozen
    disco mirror balls of various sizes hanging on varying lengths of silver
    chain throughout the room? SLop then shows us her centerpiece, which for
    some reason is now three multiple-tiered tea servers with lit white votive
    candles. So much for that "booze bowkay"... As the camera pans the
    tablescape, I notice that each plate has a small black and white photo in a
    silver picture frame and a folded card with initials bedazzled into it for
    place settings. Ugh. She then shows us how she took a white tablecloth and
    placed a sheer silver mylar sheet over it for the table before telling us to
    Keep it simple, keep it sensational, and keep it sparkly.

    --
    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

    Tags:

  2. Dean G.

    Dean G. Guest

    Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    channel.

    I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

    Dean G.
    who hasn't had cable or satelite TV for many years
    Ironically, the few moments I can spare to watch TV, I can always find
    something better than Sandy.

  3. Tam

    Tam Guest

    Dean G. wrote:
    > Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    > how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    > thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    > channel.
    >
    > I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    > element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    > perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    > gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    > watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

    No way! We make up a big batch of pop corn and fight for prime seating
    in this house when SLop is on! We have to be careful, though, not to
    *choke* on the pop corn when we're laughing that hard.

  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Ubiquitous wrote:

    > We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses
    > look with Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in
    > Sandra's kitchen. Oh, sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking
    > crimped and bleached hair.

    Yeah, the hair has looked better.

    I am impressed by the number of complete sets of Kitchen Aid appliances in
    varying colors she has.

    Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
    that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
    though, it was the British food they cooked.

  5. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Dean G. wrote:

    > Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    > how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    > thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    > channel.
    >
    > I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    > element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    > perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    > gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    > watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

    Didn't you ever watch Mystery Science Theater just for the comments made
    about the bad movies by the "audience" ?
    Goomba

  6. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Ubiquitous wrote:
    >
    >> We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses
    >> look with Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in
    >> Sandra's kitchen. Oh, sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking
    >> crimped and bleached hair.

    >Yeah, the hair has looked better.
    >
    >I am impressed by the number of complete sets of Kitchen Aid appliances in
    >varying colors she has.

    And yet she somehow rarely ever manages to use them. :-D

    >Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
    >that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
    >though, it was the British food they cooked.

    British cooking is scarey, but at least they know what they're doing.

    --

  7. On 29 Jun 2005 07:13:45 -0700, "Dean G." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    >how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    >thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    >channel.
    >
    >I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    >element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    >perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    >gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    >watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.
    >
    >Dean G.
    >who hasn't had cable or satelite TV for many years
    >Ironically, the few moments I can spare to watch TV, I can always find
    >something better than Sandy.

    Another person that doesn't understand the comedic elements of Sandra
    Lee. Entertainment, man!

    pepsi

  8. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:11:27 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Dean G. wrote:
    >
    >> Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    >> how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    >> thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    >> channel.
    >>
    >> I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    >> element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    >> perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    >> gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    >> watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

    >Didn't you ever watch Mystery Science Theater just for the comments made
    >about the bad movies by the "audience" ?
    >Goomba

    Naaww, I bet he's a CNN person. All serious all the time.

  9. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
    >how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
    >thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
    >channel.
    >
    >I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
    >element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
    >perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
    >gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
    >watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

    And you read my recap because?
    And you bothered to share this with us because?

    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
    standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
    assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
    "food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
    where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
    Lee.

  10. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    wrote:
    >Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
    >>that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
    >>though, it was the British food they cooked.

    >That food always looked absolutely horrid. Well, not every time, but
    >most of the time it did. It might taste good, but they never worried
    >about how it looked. I just enjoyed the fun they had in making the
    >food.

    One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
    that we could fool people into thinking it was.

    --

  11. Ubiquitous wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
    >>>that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
    >>>though, it was the British food they cooked.

    >>That food always looked absolutely horrid. Well, not every time, but
    >>most of the time it did. It might taste good, but they never worried
    >>about how it looked. I just enjoyed the fun they had in making the
    >>food.

    > One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
    > that we could fool people into thinking it was.

    i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
    have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
    prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
    meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
    made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
    "adding a can" of whatever.

    --

    saerah

    "It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

    aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

    "I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
    contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
    -König Prüß

  12. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >Ubiquitous wrote:

    >> One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
    >> that we could fool people into thinking it was.

    >i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
    >have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
    >prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
    >meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
    >made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
    >"adding a can" of whatever.

    I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
    the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
    and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

    --
    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
    standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
    assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
    "food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
    where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
    Lee.

  13. ANIM8Rfsk

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Ubiquitous wrote:

    >>> One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
    >>> that we could fool people into thinking it was.

    >> i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
    >> have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
    >> prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
    >> meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
    >> made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
    >> "adding a can" of whatever.

    > I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
    > the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
    > and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

    That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

  14. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    In article <BEED4C08.414A6%[email protected]>, AN[email protected] wrote:
    >in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at
    >[email protected] wrote on 7/2/05 11:42 PM:
    >> [email protected] wrote:

    >>> i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
    >>> have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
    >>> prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
    >>> meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
    >>> made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
    >>> "adding a can" of whatever.

    >> I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
    >> the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
    >> and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

    >That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

    Oh gawd, they just RUINED that show, didn't they?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

  15. ANIM8Rfsk

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at

    > In article <BEED4C08.414A6%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >> in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at
    >> [email protected] wrote on 7/2/05 11:42 PM:

    >>> I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
    >>> the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
    >>> and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

    >> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

    > Oh gawd, they just RUINED that show, didn't they?

    Yeah

    What WERE they thinking?

    --
    The "Upward Foundation" in Phoenix AZ, 623-848-9725, are liars and scam
    artists. They make junk phone calls often several times a day to the same

  16. Kevin_Sheehy

    Kevin_Sheehy Guest

    ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:

    > That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

    I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
    Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
    without him.
    Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
    was
    ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
    had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
    there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
    they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
    remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
    version(s) befoe that?

  17. ANIM8Rfsk

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article [email protected],
    Kevin_Sheehy at [email protected] wrote on 7/15/05 9:12 PM:

    > ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:
    >
    >> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

    > I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
    > Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
    > without him.
    > Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
    > was
    > ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
    > had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
    > there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
    > they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
    > remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
    > version(s) befoe that?

    The original was a slender guy stand up comedian. They had a brunette chef
    off stage to coach him, and one day she ended up in front of the camera, and
    magic was born.

    ah, here we go:

    Sean Donnellan and the cooking instructor was Cathy Lowe

    --
    The "Upward Foundation" in Phoenix AZ, 623-848-9725, are liars and scam
    artists. They make junk phone calls often several times a day to the same
    number and refuse to remove you from their calling list (they will give you
    a non working number to call to be removed, and the contact address on their
    website is phony). This has been going on for a decade. Do not deal with
    them.

  18. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Kevin_Sheehy" <[email protected]> wrote

    > ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:
    >
    >> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

    > I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
    > Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
    > without him.
    > Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
    > was
    > ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
    > had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
    > there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
    > they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
    > remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
    > version(s) befoe that?

    Emeril was the host ... apparently it was so bad he was yanked. That
    was before my time, I never saw that.

    Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
    (whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
    from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
    Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

    nancy

  19. Kevin_Sheehy

    Kevin_Sheehy Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    <snip>

    > Emeril was the host ... apparently it was so bad he was yanked. That
    > was before my time, I never saw that.

    Really! That must have been in Emeril's leaner days. I would never have
    guessed that.

    > Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
    > (whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
    > from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
    > Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

    That's it - the blond is Jackie (Jacquie?) Corrigan. Of course, she
    does get to ask why the meat should rest before carving and why she
    should carve against the grain.

    I'd agree about Tyler. It seems his persona started a kind of an "aw
    shucks, nice looking, nice kid next door" but has shifted to more of a
    "take over/stud in spite of himself" type, with a bit of gosh and golly
    scripted in to soften the effect. It also seems that Tyler, like
    Emeril, is beefing up a bit, although Tyler has a way to go.

    I gave up my television around May 1, so the only television I've seen
    since is in hotel rooms and bars. But I doubt much has changed in 2-1/2
    months.

  20. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Kevin_Sheehy" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
    >> (whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
    >> from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
    >> Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

    > That's it - the blond is Jackie (Jacquie?) Corrigan. Of course, she
    > does get to ask why the meat should rest before carving and why she
    > should carve against the grain.

    I guess it's better than watching her using a mallet on chicken while
    talking
    and not watching for her fingers. She makes me nervous when she does
    get involved, but really. She was a member of Second City, I believe in
    Toronto, by the way.

    > I'd agree about Tyler. It seems his persona started a kind of an "aw
    > shucks, nice looking, nice kid next door" but has shifted to more of a
    > "take over/stud in spite of himself" type, with a bit of gosh and golly
    > scripted in to soften the effect. It also seems that Tyler, like
    > Emeril, is beefing up a bit, although Tyler has a way to go.

    Not too far, he has really packed on the pounds.

    > I gave up my television around May 1, so the only television I've seen
    > since is in hotel rooms and bars. But I doubt much has changed in 2-1/2
    > months.

    Gave up the tv, yikes.

    nancy