Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: More klAssy kookin'

Ubiquitous

Guest
We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses look with
Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in Sandra's kitchen. Oh,
sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking crimped and bleached hair.
She babbles about having a classy booze and dinner party and we cut to a
mini-cake with a ridiculously too-large disco mirror ball on top of it. Hey!
This is that disco theme we saw on ET last Xmas!

We return form the opening credits to more of the tipsy-cam ™ as SLop
declares this ep is "all about cocktails, tiarrahs, and bowties'. She
removes some of the pre-chive roasted potatoes from the oven and sets them
aside so they "set up", making sure to emphasise this point for some reason,
then makes some more, claiming that people will be scarfing these things
down, by cutting some potatoes into strips, except she's really slicing them
lengthwise into disks. Moron. She puts the brownish potato disks into a bowl
and drizzles them with olive oil and salt. She then tells us to add fresh
chives because she prefers the fresh to dried (I kid you not!) and then
pretends to chop the chives. Thanks to a quick cut, there is suddenly a huge
mound of chopped chives on the countertop! She puts the chives into the bowl
and gives them a "good toss" by using a spoon to flip over two slices of
potato and puts them onto a baking sheet, adding that the oil will keep them
from sticking. She tells us to put the potato disks into the oven for 2
minutes at 400 degrees, but I doubt they'll be done that fast. She then
makes a sour cream and horseradish sauce for the topping, reminding us that
we shouldn't use too much horseradish. SLop tells us we don't have to buy
expensive caviar because no one will notice and the flavours will melt
together and they make the potatoes classy. She dabs the potatoes with a
little bit of the sour cream mixture and then tops them off with the cheap
caviar. I am laughing too hard at this point to hear her reasoning, but I
think she said she wanted to do this swawwwray on the cheap and didn't think
anyone could tell the difference. She then uses a plastic knife because a
metal spoon would make it taste funny. I suspect that's just the cheap
caviar, sweetie. She dusts the plate with more chives and exits stage left
just in time for the commercial break.

We return from commercial to an empty and silent kitchen. Aroused from her
drunken slumber, SLop enters stage right with a can and a couple flavour
packets in hand and tells us that she's going to show us how to make a herb
salt crusted prime rib like you get a those fancy restaurants. To a large
bowl of kosher salt, she adds a packet of Italian dressing and marvels over
all the herbs and seasonings in it, adding how expensive it would be to buy
them fresh and separately. Like a cat in a litter pan, she covers up the
packet contents in the bowl and adds a a container of egg whites and some
water. SLop then grabs a bottle of wine and empties it over the prime rib.
Correction. It's a wine-bottle sized bottle of Worcestershire sauce. She
lovingly massages the sauce into the meat, wipes her hands on a paper towel,
and then sprinkles a generous portion of "seasoned pepper" over the ribs to
"infuse it with flavour". We suddenly cut to a pink stunt roast with a
thermometer sticking out of it. She prepares a bed of salt in the bottom of
an aluminum foil lined baking dish and covers it with the salt mixture. With
a gleeful "Me washie handsies! Me washie handsies!", she finally washes her
hands, reminding us to use soap after handling meat. Snatching the
thermometer from the stunt meat, she tells us to cook it for about 12
minutes per pound at 425 degrees, then tells us to cook it for about 14-16
minutes per pound. Huh? Sandra then places a saucepan halfway between two
burners and empties a can of beef broth and a package of onion soup mix into
it and tells us to let it simmer. Without moving the pan or turning on the
stove, she whisks the "faux jus" with a fork. For once, SLop has let her
meat rest but inadequately describes the juices as being sucked right back
into the meat. SLop tries to use a knife to crack the salt shell, but then
ends up using Brycer's stupid toy rolling pin. OK, so why did she add that
seasoning to the salt crust, again? She puts the meat onto a cutting board
and attempts to slice the way-too-pink-for-my-comfort meat into rough
chunks. As we head to commercial, we get to hear the extended version of her
bumper music as she struggles with her meat.

We return from the commercial break with a glamour shot of the champagne
cake with a mini disco ball on top. Sandra enters stage right with the now
familiar tub of white icing and champagne extract and claims her girlfriend
makes this all the time. She puts some white cake mix into a bowl but only
adds the egg whites, adding you can use store bought egg whites too. She
then adds some vegetable oil and champagne, adding that it has to be a dry
champagne. As she pours it into the bowl, she calls it "sparkling wine". She
mixes it with a hand blender, warning us to use the lowest setting so it
doesn't go flying all over the kitchen (hmmm), then puts it into a baking
pan. Using a three inch biscuit cutter (you can use an empty pineapple can
if you want), she punches out six smaller cakes and sets the scraps aside to
make trifle later. What's wrong, are twinkies not good enough for your
trifle now? She plops one of the mini-cakes onto an icing pedestal (instead
of a plate on an inverted bowl for once) and ices it with the frosting
embellished with the extract. Once she is finished, she dusts it with
sanding sugar and some silver dragees (hmm, aren't those non-edible?) and
tops it with a lime-size disco mirror ball. It looks as ridiculous as it
sounds. As we head out to commercial, she tries to keep her composure as she
announces her cocktail and tablesscape are up next.

During the commercial break, I see a Food Network ad which features a quick
clip of Snadra in a green dress with a matching *tini chowing down on a
chocolate-dipped strawberry like Shamu eating a fish at Sea World. Ewwww.

When we return from commercial, we can tell by the graphic on the screen
that
it's now "Sandra's Cocktail Time!". SLop enters, stage right, with this
strangely ecstatic look on her face as she shakes two bottles of red booze
in her hands like maracas as she sing-songs "It's cocktail time!!". She
tells us she likes this one because you can make it year-round, but loves it
on the holidays because it is egg-nog based. I have no clue what she is
babbling on about until she reveals that using vanilla ice cream means you
can have it any time of year. Whatever. She adds a scoop of vanilla ice
cream, some egg nog (one can substitute one of those vanilla yogurt drinks),
a "little bit" of brandy (glug glug glug), and a "little bit" of amaretto
(glug glug glug). SLop offers up a serving tip. As she struggles with
sticking a martini glass of epic proportions onto a plate of sugar, she
tells us to soak a paper towel with water or champagne. According to her,
this makes the glasses coated just enough. She then pours the rest of the
drink in the blender into some of the champagne glasses in her "champagne
glass bowkay" that will serve as her tablescape centerpiece. Half contain
the "crystal cocktail" and the rest have champagne. If this isn't the proof
that one needs to have an intervention and taken directly to the Betty Ford
Clinic, I do not know what is. Incidentally, when I stopped the tape to get
a better look at this monstrosity of a centerpiece, I caught Sandra leering
over the top of the it like Linda Blair in The Exercise. Holy ****! Sandra
then picks up her drink and a cheap-looking silver box with a hinged lid and
strolls over to her tablescape. Umm, aren't you forgetting something? She
then procedes to tell us that she took some cheap cardboard boxes with
aluminum foil glued to it, filled it with "silver filler" (ie., Xmas tree
tinsel), a baseball-sized disco mirror ball, and a "computer-generated
invitation", and then mailed them out as invitations to her guests,
mentioning that they only cost a couple dollars to make. At this point, I
feel profound pity for those poor souls who are on her party list and
continuously receive these bizarre things in the mail from her. Hmm, I bet
it costs more to mail those invitations than to make them. Anyhow, I'd like
to add at this point that this tablescape easily rivals the "Poo and Pee
Party" one for retinal burn-out -- everything in the room is white or coated
with silver, and there are various small white (natch) candles all over the
place. This, combined with the Vaseline on the camera lens, makes it very
difficult to see what's going on. Did I mention there's about half a dozen
disco mirror balls of various sizes hanging on varying lengths of silver
chain throughout the room? SLop then shows us her centerpiece, which for
some reason is now three multiple-tiered tea servers with lit white votive
candles. So much for that "booze bowkay"... As the camera pans the
tablescape, I notice that each plate has a small black and white photo in a
silver picture frame and a folded card with initials bedazzled into it for
place settings. Ugh. She then shows us how she took a white tablecloth and
placed a sheer silver mylar sheet over it for the table before telling us to
Keep it simple, keep it sensational, and keep it sparkly.

--
WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
channel.

I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

Dean G.
who hasn't had cable or satelite TV for many years
Ironically, the few moments I can spare to watch TV, I can always find
something better than Sandy.

Dean G. wrote:
> Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
> how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
> thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
> channel.
>
> I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
> element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
> perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
> gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
> watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

No way! We make up a big batch of pop corn and fight for prime seating
in this house when SLop is on! We have to be careful, though, not to
*choke* on the pop corn when we're laughing that hard.

Ubiquitous wrote:

> We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses
> look with Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in
> Sandra's kitchen. Oh, sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking
> crimped and bleached hair.

Yeah, the hair has looked better.

I am impressed by the number of complete sets of Kitchen Aid appliances in
varying colors she has.

Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
though, it was the British food they cooked.

Dean G. wrote:

> Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
> how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
> thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
> channel.
>
> I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
> element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
> perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
> gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
> watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

Didn't you ever watch Mystery Science Theater just for the comments made
about the bad movies by the "audience" ?
Goomba

>Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> We begin in the kitchen with the usual vasoline-smeared-on-lenses
>> look with Barbra Streissand making a special guest appearance in
>> Sandra's kitchen. Oh, sorry, it's just SLop with a half-assed looking
>> crimped and bleached hair.

>Yeah, the hair has looked better.
>
>I am impressed by the number of complete sets of Kitchen Aid appliances in
>varying colors she has.

And yet she somehow rarely ever manages to use them. :-D

>Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
>that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
>though, it was the British food they cooked.

British cooking is scarey, but at least they know what they're doing.

--

On 29 Jun 2005 07:13:45 -0700, "Dean G." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
>how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
>thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
>channel.
>
>I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
>element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
>perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
>gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
>watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.
>
>Dean G.
>who hasn't had cable or satelite TV for many years
>Ironically, the few moments I can spare to watch TV, I can always find
>something better than Sandy.

Another person that doesn't understand the comedic elements of Sandra
Lee. Entertainment, man!

pepsi

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:11:27 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dean G. wrote:
>
>> Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
>> how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
>> thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
>> channel.
>>
>> I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
>> element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
>> perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
>> gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
>> watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

>Didn't you ever watch Mystery Science Theater just for the comments made
>about the bad movies by the "audience" ?
>Goomba

Naaww, I bet he's a CNN person. All serious all the time.

>Wow. I saw this show one (not the episode you talk about) and wondered
>how many people need video instruction on how to prepare boxed mixes. I
>thought about the average human, laughed a bit, and changed the
>channel.
>
>I certainly didn't bother to watch the whole show and critique every
>element of it. It seems like someone has an unhealthy obsession. Or
>perhaps you need to turn the TV off. Sometimes, despite the umpteen
>gazillion channels you may have paid for, there is nothing on worth
>watching. This is when it is time to, gasp!, TURN OFF THE TV.

And you read my recap because?
And you bothered to share this with us because?

WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
"food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
Lee.

>Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
>>that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
>>though, it was the British food they cooked.

>That food always looked absolutely horrid. Well, not every time, but
>most of the time it did. It might taste good, but they never worried
>about how it looked. I just enjoyed the fun they had in making the
>food.

One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
that we could fool people into thinking it was.

--

Ubiquitous wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Ya know, I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies with the same kind of horror
>>>that you seem to have when you watch this show. It wasn't because of them
>>>though, it was the British food they cooked.

>>That food always looked absolutely horrid. Well, not every time, but
>>most of the time it did. It might taste good, but they never worried
>>about how it looked. I just enjoyed the fun they had in making the
>>food.

> One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
> that we could fool people into thinking it was.

i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
"adding a can" of whatever.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß

[email protected] wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>> One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
>> that we could fool people into thinking it was.

>i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
>have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
>prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
>meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
>made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
>"adding a can" of whatever.

I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

--
WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
"food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
Lee.

in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Ubiquitous wrote:

>>> One thing's fer sure: they never tried to pass it off as "goormay" or
>>> that we could fool people into thinking it was.

>> i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
>> have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
>> prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
>> meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
>> made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
>> "adding a can" of whatever.

> I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
> the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
> and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

In article <BEED4C08.414A6%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at
>[email protected] wrote on 7/2/05 11:42 PM:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> i do think these kind of "recipes" do serve a purpose for those that
>>> have no desire to eat decent food- they just want something simple to
>>> prepare. these people have no idea that it is easier to prepare simple
>>> meals from scratch than doctor up boxed stuff. hell, i mean thats what
>>> made me interested in cooking in the first place- because i was sick of
>>> "adding a can" of whatever.

>> I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
>> the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
>> and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

>That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

Oh gawd, they just RUINED that show, didn't they?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at

> In article <BEED4C08.414A6%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>> in article [email protected], Ubiquitous at
>> [email protected] wrote on 7/2/05 11:42 PM:

>>> I see your point, but do you _really_ think what SLop does is a step in
>>> the right direction? It seems to me that a novice will try her concoctions
>>> and when it inevitably fails, become even more scared of cooking.

>> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

> Oh gawd, they just RUINED that show, didn't they?

Yeah

What WERE they thinking?

--
The "Upward Foundation" in Phoenix AZ, 623-848-9725, are liars and scam
artists. They make junk phone calls often several times a day to the same

ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:

> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
without him.
Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
was
ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
version(s) befoe that?

in article [email protected],
Kevin_Sheehy at [email protected] wrote on 7/15/05 9:12 PM:

> ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:
>
>> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

> I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
> Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
> without him.
> Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
> was
> ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
> had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
> there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
> they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
> remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
> version(s) befoe that?

The original was a slender guy stand up comedian. They had a brunette chef
off stage to coach him, and one day she ended up in front of the camera, and
magic was born.

ah, here we go:

Sean Donnellan and the cooking instructor was Cathy Lowe

--
The "Upward Foundation" in Phoenix AZ, 623-848-9725, are liars and scam
artists. They make junk phone calls often several times a day to the same
number and refuse to remove you from their calling list (they will give you
a non working number to call to be removed, and the contact address on their
website is phony). This has been going on for a decade. Do not deal with
them.

"Kevin_Sheehy" <[email protected]> wrote

> ANIM8Rfsk wrote on 7/15/2005:
>
>> That's why the need to show the *original* HOW TO BOIL WATER.

> I've lost track of which one was the original. I think they've got
> Tyler what's his name with the blond gal. She's ok but I could do
> without him.
> Before that they had the same blond gal with the French chef guy. That
> was
> ok for me. I thought they might work an angle that blondie and Frenchy
> had something going on besides cooking, but that never happened, but
> there was a little pseudo chemistry between them. Then before that,
> they had the ditzy gal with the geeky glasses and whiny voice. Can't
> remember who the guy was. That was irritating. Was there another
> version(s) befoe that?

Emeril was the host ... apparently it was so bad he was yanked. That
was before my time, I never saw that.

Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
(whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

<snip>

> Emeril was the host ... apparently it was so bad he was yanked. That
> was before my time, I never saw that.

Really! That must have been in Emeril's leaner days. I would never have
guessed that.

> Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
> (whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
> from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
> Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

That's it - the blond is Jackie (Jacquie?) Corrigan. Of course, she
does get to ask why the meat should rest before carving and why she
should carve against the grain.

I'd agree about Tyler. It seems his persona started a kind of an "aw
shucks, nice looking, nice kid next door" but has shifted to more of a
"take over/stud in spite of himself" type, with a bit of gosh and golly
scripted in to soften the effect. It also seems that Tyler, like
Emeril, is beefing up a bit, although Tyler has a way to go.

I gave up my television around May 1, so the only television I've seen
since is in hotel rooms and bars. But I doubt much has changed in 2-1/2
months.

"Kevin_Sheehy" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Me, I just want to know why it suddenly became, let Jack Corrigan
>> (whatever) sit like a plant and just watch Tyler cook. Just in general,
>> from all of his shows, he seems to have developed a healthy ego.
>> Not attractive on him. Turning into a control freak, just my impression.

> That's it - the blond is Jackie (Jacquie?) Corrigan. Of course, she
> does get to ask why the meat should rest before carving and why she
> should carve against the grain.

I guess it's better than watching her using a mallet on chicken while
talking
and not watching for her fingers. She makes me nervous when she does
get involved, but really. She was a member of Second City, I believe in
Toronto, by the way.

> I'd agree about Tyler. It seems his persona started a kind of an "aw
> shucks, nice looking, nice kid next door" but has shifted to more of a
> "take over/stud in spite of himself" type, with a bit of gosh and golly
> scripted in to soften the effect. It also seems that Tyler, like
> Emeril, is beefing up a bit, although Tyler has a way to go.

Not too far, he has really packed on the pounds.

> I gave up my television around May 1, so the only television I've seen
> since is in hotel rooms and bars. But I doubt much has changed in 2-1/2
> months.

Gave up the tv, yikes.

nancy