Semi OT: Travel - What For Financial Backup?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by (PeteCresswell), Apr 26, 2006.

  1. I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably had a much
    deeper level of expertise.

    Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.

    You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole nine yards.

    The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your glasses with
    coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet; and he left you your
    pants - albeit with pockets empty...

    To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    doesn't even have any ID on them.

    The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.

    What now?
    - Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    even lost the things...

    - Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    gets cash into your hands by remote control?

    - Something with the credit card company where you report the
    card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    that still works against your account for the next N days?

    - Something else?

    Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    of a mechanism to deal with it.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:03:10 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably had a much
    >deeper level of expertise.
    >
    >Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.
    >
    >You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole nine yards.
    >
    >The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your glasses with
    >coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet; and he left you your
    >pants - albeit with pockets empty...
    >
    >To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    >doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >
    >The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >
    >What now?
    >- Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    > yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    > Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    > Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    > even lost the things...
    >
    >- Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    > gets cash into your hands by remote control?
    >
    >- Something with the credit card company where you report the
    > card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    > that still works against your account for the next N days?
    >
    >- Something else?
    >
    >Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    >of a mechanism to deal with it.

    Dear Pete,

    Well, you might consider the practical approach of that nice
    robber.

    A. Capone

  3. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    > To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    > doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >
    > The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >
    > What now?

    I don't know why you would assume that the cops would think you're a 'wacko
    with a story.'
    First thing I'd do? Call my sons. Second: Call my bank. Best bank in the
    world: USAA Federal Savings Bank.

    Pat in TX

  4. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    wrote:

    >I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably had a much
    >deeper level of expertise.
    >
    >Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.
    >
    >You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole nine yards.
    >
    >The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your glasses with
    >coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet; and he left you your
    >pants - albeit with pockets empty...
    >
    >To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    >doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >
    >The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >
    >What now?
    >- Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    > yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    > Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    > Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    > even lost the things...
    >
    >- Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    > gets cash into your hands by remote control?
    >
    >- Something with the credit card company where you report the
    > card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    > that still works against your account for the next N days?
    >
    >- Something else?
    >
    >Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    >of a mechanism to deal with it.

    Pete-

    I warned you about this, but Nooooo. Young, impetuous thing, you ...
    you hadda' go off on some quixotic adventure anyway. Sheesh.

    How much do you need ... and where should your mother and I send it?

    Pops.

  5. Neil Brooks wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:03:10 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably
    >> had a much deeper level of expertise.
    >>
    >> Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.
    >>
    >> You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole
    >> nine yards.
    >>
    >> The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your
    >> glasses with coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet;
    >> and he left you your pants - albeit with pockets empty...
    >>
    >> To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    >> doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >>
    >> The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >>
    >> What now?
    >> - Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    >> yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    >> Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    >> Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    >> even lost the things...
    >>
    >> - Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    >> gets cash into your hands by remote control?
    >>
    >> - Something with the credit card company where you report the
    >> card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    >> that still works against your account for the next N days?
    >>
    >> - Something else?
    >>
    >> Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    >> of a mechanism to deal with it.

    > Pete-
    >
    > I warned you about this, but Nooooo. Young, impetuous thing, you ...
    > you hadda' go off on some quixotic adventure anyway. Sheesh.
    >
    > How much do you need ... and where should your mother and I send it?
    >
    > Pops.

    Dad, he's lying... he spent it all on pot and booze! I helped him, fer
    crying out loud!!!
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:39:08 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Neil Brooks wrote:
    >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:03:10 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably
    >>> had a much deeper level of expertise.
    >>>
    >>> Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.
    >>>
    >>> You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole
    >>> nine yards.
    >>>
    >>> The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your
    >>> glasses with coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet;
    >>> and he left you your pants - albeit with pockets empty...
    >>>
    >>> To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    >>> doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >>>
    >>> The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >>>
    >>> What now?
    >>> - Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    >>> yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    >>> Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    >>> Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    >>> even lost the things...
    >>>
    >>> - Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    >>> gets cash into your hands by remote control?
    >>>
    >>> - Something with the credit card company where you report the
    >>> card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    >>> that still works against your account for the next N days?
    >>>
    >>> - Something else?
    >>>
    >>> Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    >>> of a mechanism to deal with it.

    >> Pete-
    >>
    >> I warned you about this, but Nooooo. Young, impetuous thing, you ...
    >> you hadda' go off on some quixotic adventure anyway. Sheesh.
    >>
    >> How much do you need ... and where should your mother and I send it?
    >>
    >> Pops.

    >Dad, he's lying... he spent it all on pot and booze! I helped him, fer
    >crying out loud!!!

    In that case, Pete-

    Come home. All is forgiven.

    We raised you right. :)

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > I tried this in misc.rural - then realized that this group probably
    > had a much deeper level of expertise.
    >
    > Suppose you're 3,000 miles from home. Continental USA.
    >
    > You get robbed - including your luggage/bike/panniers... the whole
    > nine yards.
    >
    > The robber was a nice guy, though: you still have one pair of your
    > glasses with coke bottle lenses; you still have shoes on your feet;
    > and he left you your pants - albeit with pockets empty...
    >
    > To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    > doesn't even have any ID on them.
    >
    > The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    >
    > What now?
    > - Traveler's checks? But everything's *gone* - including the
    > yellow sticky that you scribbled the control numbers on.
    > Besides, a loooong time ago I tried to cash the things in
    > Provincetown Mass - and the bank wouldn't touch them... hadn't
    > even lost the things...
    >
    > - Some kind of fund transfer in which a confidante at home
    > gets cash into your hands by remote control?
    >
    > - Something with the credit card company where you report the
    > card stolen and they immediately issue you a virtual number
    > that still works against your account for the next N days?
    >
    > - Something else?
    >
    > Seems like such a bread-and-butter situation that somebody's thought
    > of a mechanism to deal with it.

    Gigolo.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,

    <http://www.withlouis.com/film/yoda/>

    --
    Michael Press

  9. A few easy answers.

    * Ask the police for a referral to a local church or Red Cross office.
    Either one can usually fnd you dinner and a bed for the night while
    longer solutions work their way out. (Or the officer will offer his/her
    own couch for the night, or let you sleep at the police station.)

    * Walk in to a local bank, explain the situation, have the branch
    manager call the branch manager of my home bank, and get enough cash for
    the next day or two wired to the local bank. (Doesn't work on weekends,
    however.)

    * Walk into the local chamber of commerce, ask them for an internet-
    related business in town. Either the business or an employee is sure to
    have a PayPal account and internet access, so an instant on-line funds
    transfer shouldn't be a problem.

    * If I can get on-line, log into my email account, send email to a
    couple of the email lists I'm on, and I'll probably find a room for the
    night within 20-30 miles.

    * If you're in a town with no banks and no internet access, you're in a
    town small enough that you knock on a door or two and someone will
    probably let you sleep on the couch for the night.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

  10. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Pat in TX wrote:

    > > To the cops you're just another wacko with a story - albeit one that
    > > doesn't even have any ID on them.
    > >
    > > The sun's going down, it's getting cold, and you're hungry.
    > >
    > > What now?

    > I don't know why you would assume that the cops would think you're a 'wacko
    > with a story.'
    > First thing I'd do? Call my sons. Second: Call my bank. Best bank in the
    > world: USAA Federal Savings Bank.
    >
    > Pat in TX

    It *is* very good. I've never told anyone a couple of the best things I know
    about USAA service because I'm afraid those "bennies" might disappear if they
    become common knowledge.

    --
    Michael