Semi-slicks in CT?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bob, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I finally took off my studded tires from my mountain bike and put semi-slicks on in order to ride
    the roads until they are safe for my racing bike. My question -- can I go mountain biking in CT on
    semi-slicks? Or am I asking for broken bones? I recently moved from AZ to CT, and I've yet to go
    mountain biking in CT.

    Thanks.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    Tags:

  2. >I finally took off my studded tires from my mountain bike and put semi-slicks on in order to ride
    >the roads until they are safe for my racing bike. My question -- can I go mountain biking in CT on
    >semi-slicks? Or am I asking for broken bones? I recently moved from AZ to CT, and I've yet to go
    >mountain biking in CT.
    >
    >Thanks.

    There's a bit of diversity of trails in CT so it kinda depends on where you plan to ride. Generally
    speaking though, you'll be fine with slicks in CT by August or so when everything gets hard and dry.
    If you try to ride slicks at this time of year you'll be a mess.

    Where did you move to?

    -Andrew Cheers,

    -Andrew

  3. Josh

    Josh Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I finally took off my studded tires from my mountain bike and put semi-slicks on in order to ride
    > the roads until they are safe for my
    racing
    > bike. My question -- can I go mountain biking in CT on semi-slicks? Or
    am
    > I asking for broken bones? I recently moved from AZ to CT, and I've yet
    > go mountain biking in CT.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    I run Ritchey Speedmax on my Surly and love 'em. They're great for hardpack once we get into July
    and beyond. They'll hold you back before that though, as most trails, especially wooded areas,
    are still moist through June. I'll run Michelin Wildgrippers or Panaracer Fire's in the spring/
    early summer.

    Where are you in CT? I'm north central, and ride all over CT and MA.

    Josh

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Josh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I finally took off my studded tires from my mountain bike and put semi-slicks on in order to
    > > ride the roads until they are safe for my
    > racing
    > > bike. My question -- can I go mountain biking in CT on semi-slicks? Or
    > am
    > > I asking for broken bones? I recently moved from AZ to CT, and I've yet
    > > go mountain biking in CT.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com
    >
    > I run Ritchey Speedmax on my Surly and love 'em. They're great for
    hardpack
    > once we get into July and beyond. They'll hold you back before that
    though,
    > as most trails, especially wooded areas, are still moist through June.
    I'll
    > run Michelin Wildgrippers or Panaracer Fire's in the spring/ early summer.
    >
    > Where are you in CT? I'm north central, and ride all over CT and MA.
    >
    > Josh

    I work in Fairfield, live in Shelton. However, I'm moving (temporarily -- about 6 months) to
    Watertown, which is above Waterbury. Know of any good trails in my neck of the woods? Supposedly,
    there is a set of trails in Trumbull near route 25 that I've been wanting to try, but it keeps
    snowing. This weekend, I took the snow tires off the bike and the car, and what's today's forecast?
    Snow! It's April!

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >I work in Fairfield, live in Shelton. However, I'm moving
    (temporarily --
    > >about 6 months) to Watertown, which is above Waterbury. Know of any good trails in my neck of the
    > >woods? Supposedly, there is a set of trails in Trumbull near route 25 that I've been wanting to
    > >try, but it keeps
    snowing.
    > >This weekend, I took the snow tires off the bike and the car, and what's today's forecast? Snow!
    > >It's April!
    > >

    > Trumbull is pretty fun, especially since you can hit it on your way home
    from
    > work. Park at the commuter lot off the Daniels Farm Road exit and follow
    the
    > crowds.
    >
    > There's not much that I know right near Watertown, but if you head alittle further north, there's
    > some fun stuff in Harwinton and over into
    Burlington
    > (the white dot trail is a hoot) that connects to Nasahegon SF, which
    rocks. And
    > you're not too far from Nepaug in New Hartford which is my all time
    favorite.

    > As for stuff closer to Shelton, check out the shop on 25 in Monroe (the
    name of
    > which escapes me). they used to be pretty good about putting together
    group
    > rides.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew

    Thanks, Andrew. I was planning on going to Trumbull last weekend, but I ran out of time.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  6. Bob wrote:

    > I finally took off my studded tires from my mountain bike and put semi-slicks on in order to ride
    > the roads until they are safe for my racing bike. My question -- can I go mountain biking in CT on
    > semi-slicks? Or am I asking for broken bones? I recently moved from AZ to CT, and I've yet to go
    > mountain biking in CT.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

    I do it all the time. I have Bontrager SS's on my hardtail. They aren't good in the mud or snow, but
    they're fine on rocks, logs, etc...

    Barry

  7. Andrew Thorne wrote:

    > Nepaug in New Hartford which is my all time favorite.

    Join the club. <G>

    Barry

  8. Jim Lyons

    Jim Lyons Guest

    Not really sure I have been in Pedal Power before but not in awhile. I bought my last frame from
    Newington Cycle. (Sorry) Which btw is back at Trek for a broken bottom bracket. This will be my
    third frame in 5 years. And I am not a hardcore rider.

    Oh well. Back to Work.

    Jim

    news:[email protected]...

  9. Jim Lyons wrote:

    > Not really sure I have been in Pedal Power before but not in awhile. I bought my last frame from
    > Newington Cycle. (Sorry)

    No need to apologize! <G> Newington Cycle is a fine group of folks that does a lot to support local
    riding organizations.

    Hope your bike is ready soon.

    Barry