Seminar on Driving High Power LEDs Online Today

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Guest
Go to the National Semiconductor web site.

It's called "Driving High-Power LEDs Without Getting Burned - Part 1"

* A tasty demonstration of why to use LED lighting in a chocolate shop
* #1 myth about LEDs is busted
* Where and why to use LED lighting
* How to design for greatest LED lifetime
* 2 ways of making "white" light, plus 3 types of "white"

On Oct 31, 9:54 am, SMS · <[email protected]> wrote:
> Go to the National Semiconductor web site.
>
> It's called "Driving High-Power LEDs Without Getting Burned - Part 1"
>
> * A tasty demonstration of why to use LED lighting in a chocolate shop
> * #1 myth about LEDs is busted
> * Where and why to use LED lighting
> * How to design for greatest LED lifetime
> * 2 ways of making "white" light, plus 3 types of "white"

Back in May 2005, I had an idea, wrote it up, and sent the message to
the appropiate person. He has not used the article as written, and
this is just the PERFECT setup to post it. So here is a 2.5 year old
message:

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 01:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Mike Schwab" <[email protected]>
Subject: April 1, 2006 idea
To: [email protected]

Do you have trouble keeping your feet on a platform pedal?
Can't get your hiking boot into the clip and strap?
Do you put your bicycles shoes on the clipless pedal but they won't
lock in?
Do you get clipped in but can't get out when you need to stop?

Well, do I have the product for you!
These pedals look just like regular platform pedals but work with
bicycle shoes (without any cleats) or with any steel toed shoes for an
easy firm attachment to the bicycle!

What's the trick you ask? To start with, there's generator hub in the
front wheel. This generates a small amount of current while the
bicycle is in motion. Usually, these are used to run lights on a
bicycle. But with the LED lights nowdays, there is lots of leftover
juice.

What do these pedals do with this juice? Why, they are
electromagnets!
When you put your feet on the pedals, your feet are free to move.
Once you get up to 2-4 MPH, there is enough juice to activate the
electromagnets. This attracts the metal in your steel toed shoes or
the metal sole in your bicycle shoes. There is absolutely no need to
get get your feet in the right position to clip in, the magnet pulls
your feet to the right position automaticly.

Once you are up to 10 mph, you are not going to be able to pull your
feet off, assuring a very smooth pedalling cycle. The generator hubs
do not have the capacitors to run the lights when stopped. Because
once you are down to 4 mph, you want your feet to be free to step onto
the road.

And do not forget the medical benefits of this strong magnetic field.
Just like magnets have been used for pain relief, this magnetic field
will cure any pain you have from the knee down, most magnets have to
be
directly over the site of the pain.

----- User reviews ------

Harriet Fell writes:
I was a little leary of the claims you made for this system. And my
ankle was acting up from the bad weather (I broke it in grade
school).
And my knee was sore (like every spring when I start riding more
miles). But there I was in Harris Cyclery and you had a demo bike all
ready for a test ride.

So I walked the bike out the door and my ankle felt just a little bit
better. I hopped on and started riding around the parking lot and my
ankle felt about half as bad as it was. The knee was just a twinge
better too. So I stopped and checked with you in the shop.

I headed out the driveway and onto the road. About two miles down the
road my ankle was pain free (and not in the 199F dry summertime heat
of
Phoenix AZ). My knee was definitely better too.

Then I had to stop at a busy highway. As I was slowing, I was trying
to get my feet loose like before, but they just would not release.
The
road ahead was busy and I had to stop. Still I could not release my
feet and I am not that skilled at doing track stands. So over I
fell.

Not much of an impact, but just then guess what came by? The Sheldon
Brown Trucking semi from the Sheldon Brown Bicycle Factory! And of
course, turning into a narrow road he has to swing wide! He would
have
cleared me if I was upright! But NNNOOOOOO, I fell down right in
front
of him!

Good thing he stopped really quick! The front tire ran over the
bicycle wheels and I was between the wheels. The rear wheels were
just
inches from my face! After checking on me, he backed up so I could
get
out. Of course the the bicycle was crushed. I got a couple of broken
bones in my foot, but I should be out of the Marshall "Major" Taylor
trama unit at the Wochester Whirlwind Hospital in a few hours. Was
the
truck driver able to return the crushed bicycle ok?

Question, why did the magnets not release?

------ Sheldon Brown replies -------

Yes, I got the crushed bicycle back. I checked the part number on the
hub. It was the wrong part! I contacted the supplier, and they
stated
'But 99% of our user LIKE having the lights stay on when you stop
pedalling. So, at no additional costs, we shipped you the generator
hub with the capacitor because we decided to no longer manufacture
hubs
without the capacitor. These hubs are priced 10% lower, so we are not
making any profit.'

So I have had to suspend sales until we get this 'bug' solved.

(c) Copyright 2005 by Mike A. Schwab, Litchfield, IL, US. Sheldon
Brown (TM?) used without permission. All rights granted to Sheldon
Brown of Harris Cycling, no rights retained by Mike A. Schwab.
Mention
of the original Author appreciated.

Mike A Schwab, Litchfield IL USA