Senate Bean soup in Crockpot??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by BabyJane Hudson, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    Below I copied the famous Senate Bean Soup recipe from the Senate's
    website. I would like to cook it in a crockpot. Would I need to change
    anything, especially the cooking time and if so, for how long? I just
    have a regular size (small) crockpot with low, med, and high settings.
    Also, I always thought you had to soak beans overnight, but it does
    not say anything about that. Your thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Jane
    The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe

    2 pounds dried navy beans

    four quarts hot water

    1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks

    1 onion, chopped

    2 tablespoons butter

    salt and pepper to taste

    Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are
    slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks
    and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring
    occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and
    return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before
    serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

    As The Wicked Witch of the west warned: Just try and stay
    out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty
    and your little dog too!

    Tags:

  2. salgud

    salgud Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Below I copied the famous Senate Bean Soup recipe from the Senate's
    > website. I would like to cook it in a crockpot. Would I need to change
    > anything, especially the cooking time and if so, for how long? I just
    > have a regular size (small) crockpot with low, med, and high settings.
    > Also, I always thought you had to soak beans overnight, but it does
    > not say anything about that. Your thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jane
    > The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
    >
    > 2 pounds dried navy beans
    >
    > four quarts hot water
    >
    > 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
    >
    > 1 onion, chopped
    >
    > 2 tablespoons butter
    >
    > salt and pepper to taste
    >
    > Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are
    > slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks
    > and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring
    > occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and
    > return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before
    > serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.
    >
    > As The Wicked Witch of the west warned: Just try and stay
    > out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty
    > and your little dog too!

    I've always wondered why there is nothing coming out of the U.S.
    Senate, now I know why!

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    -------------------------------------
    >> The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
    >>
    >> 2 pounds dried navy beans
    >>
    >> four quarts hot water
    >>
    >> 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
    >>
    >> 1 onion, chopped
    >>
    >> 2 tablespoons butter
    >>
    >> salt and pepper to taste
    >>
    >> Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are
    >> slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks
    >> and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring
    >> occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and
    >> return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup.
    >> Before
    >> serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.
    >>
    >> As The Wicked Witch of the west warned: Just try and stay
    >> out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty
    >> and your little dog too!

    > I've always wondered why there is nothing coming out of the U.S.
    > Senate, now I know why!

    LOL this is a very old recipe so you can't blame current poltics!

    http://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm

    And yes, this can be made in a crock pot.

    Jill

  4. salgud

    salgud Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> Below I copied the famous Senate Bean Soup recipe from the Senate's
    > >> website. I would like to cook it in a crockpot. Would I need to
    > >> change
    > >> anything, especially the cooking time and if so, for how long? I just
    > >> have a regular size (small) crockpot with low, med, and high
    > >> settings.
    > >> Also, I always thought you had to soak beans overnight, but it does
    > >> not say anything about that. Your thoughts?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Jane

    > -------------------------------------
    > >> The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
    > >>
    > >> 2 pounds dried navy beans
    > >>
    > >> four quarts hot water
    > >>
    > >> 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
    > >>
    > >> 1 onion, chopped
    > >>
    > >> 2 tablespoons butter
    > >>
    > >> salt and pepper to taste
    > >>
    > >> Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are
    > >> slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks
    > >> and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring
    > >> occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and
    > >> return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup.
    > >> Before
    > >> serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.
    > >>
    > >> As The Wicked Witch of the west warned: Just try and stay
    > >> out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty
    > >> and your little dog too!

    > > I've always wondered why there is nothing coming out of the U.S.
    > > Senate, now I know why!

    > LOL this is a very old recipe so you can't blame current poltics!

    You must be young, if you think current politics is any different than
    it was a thousand years ago (no, I'm not quite that old). It's always
    been nothing but hot air and gas! :)

  5. On 1 Feb 2006 06:37:00 -0800, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> And yes, this can be made in a crock pot.
    >>
    >> Jill

    Please refer to the original post and if you can answer the questions
    I did ask, then you can be of real help.

    I never asked if it could, but rather what should I do when I cook it
    in one re times, settings, etc.

    Thanks,
    BabyJane Hudson