Sending a frame to Arlington, VA

Graham62

Oct 22, 2004
Hi to you all. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice on the cheapest way of sending a frame (total weight - 6,5kg) from the Uk to Arlington, VA. At the moment UPS, Fedex, DHL etc are all quoting me about £140-£150 so if any of you have experience of sending a frame cheaper than this I'd be glad to hear!
Alternatively if any of you know someone about to depart London for NY or Washington who would be prepared to take the frame and leave it at the arrival airport that would be even better.
All ideas are welcome!

If you know anyone in the US military, they might be able to send it for you APO (Ameican Post Office). I don't know if the rules have changed, but in 1993 we had a friend in the USAF send a box of books back to our home for $25 by APO instead of $150 by the Royal Mail.

If your don't have someone specific to mail it to, you might be able to send it "general delivery". That way the post office will hold it for you for your pickup. A lot of crosscountry tour riders have packages sent to them general delivery so they can pick them up whenever they pass through a town on their route. Don't know if the post office will do it for oversees packages.