sending it up the flagpole

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Seth Jayson, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Here in Chicago, there is a yearly media "commuter challenge" in which the Mayor's office gets
    together local media "celebrities" (their word, not mine) from TV, radio, etc. and they race them
    against cars on a short commute, to prove that biking is preferable to cars.

    Of course, the fix is in. The cops hold traffic for the bikes, even though there's no need.

    Anyway, as editor of the local sports mag, somehow I got on the list. Always interested in biting
    that hand that's invited me, I thought it might be fun to challenge all the "picture of the day"
    news types and city politicos to a REAL commuter challenge.

    I've printed up some fliers and talked to a few of the TV reporters. I've gotten some support for
    the idea. Thought you 'benties might find it interesting.

    -----

    Bike to Work Day is a start, but we can do more. In order to prove that bicycling is a real
    transportation option, Seth Jayson, of Windy City Sports, is throwing down the gauntlet for a true
    commuter challenge.

    The rules are simple: You, or a designated member of your organization, ride a bike to work, every
    day. No excuses. There is a central jackpot that starts at $20 and goes up by $20 for each day that
    the challenge runs. If you skip a day on the bike, you are out. The last person left riding claims
    the jackpot for their favorite local charity. The jackpot amount is paid, in equal shares, by all
    the other riders.
    -----

    My hope is that there's some reporter or producer who's as stubborn as I am, and we can get this
    thing going for a few months before the last one cracks. If I get it arranged, I will encourage side
    bets for charity...

    sj

    Tags:

  2. Go for it, Seth, this sounds like a great idea.

    I hope you get enough participation to get a bunch of media attention.

    Lewis.

    [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here in Chicago, there is a yearly media "commuter challenge" in which the Mayor's office gets
    > together local media "celebrities" (their word, not mine) from TV, radio, etc. and they race them
    > against cars on a short commute, to prove that biking is preferable to cars.
    >
    > Of course, the fix is in. The cops hold traffic for the bikes, even though there's no need.
    >
    > Anyway, as editor of the local sports mag, somehow I got on the list. Always interested in biting
    > that hand that's invited me, I thought it might be fun to challenge all the "picture of the day"
    > news types and city politicos to a REAL commuter challenge.
    >
    > I've printed up some fliers and talked to a few of the TV reporters. I've gotten some support for
    > the idea. Thought you 'benties might find it interesting.
    >
    > -----
    >
    > Bike to Work Day is a start, but we can do more. In order to prove that bicycling is a real
    > transportation option, Seth Jayson, of Windy City Sports, is throwing down the gauntlet for a true
    > commuter challenge.
    >
    > The rules are simple: You, or a designated member of your organization, ride a bike to work, every
    > day. No excuses. There is a central jackpot that starts at $20 and goes up by $20 for each day
    > that the challenge runs. If you skip a day on the bike, you are out. The last person left riding
    > claims the jackpot for their favorite local charity. The jackpot amount is paid, in equal shares,
    > by all the other riders.
    > -----
    >
    > My hope is that there's some reporter or producer who's as stubborn as I am, and we can get this
    > thing going for a few months before the last one cracks. If I get it arranged, I will encourage
    > side bets for charity...
    >
    > sj

  3. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    If I were in Chicago, I'd sign up!

    On 13 Jun 2003 10:21:47 -0700, [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote:

    >I had heard that in the past, the police had helped put the fix in on this event. This year, no one
    >held traffic, but we did have one policeman on a mountain bike. I didn't know this thing was
    >considered a race. I was tooling along at a comfy pace, when I see the cop busting his hump,
    >blowing through stop signs like crazy. (Lights, no but signs, yes.) When he drafted a car, I saw
    >that this was a competition, so I gave chase. I dropped the rest of the pack and caught him, but we
    >got snagged at a red, at which point one more member of the pack caught up. We got to the
    >destination at the same time, so our 1-2-3 finish was determined by who was more willing to blow
    >through the j-walking pedestrians. I was too polite, so I lost out.
    >
    >Anyway, we beat the car by almost 100% (big surprise). a few of the TV and radio people seem into
    >it, along with the folks at SRAM, so I may have talked myself into more bike riding than I had
    >planned this summer.

  4. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 19:04:25 -0700, Seth Jayson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The rules are simple: You, or a designated member of your organization, ride a bike to work,
    > every day. No excuses. There is a central jackpot that starts at $20 and goes up by $20 for each
    > day that the challenge runs. If you skip a day on the bike, you are out.

    Might take a while. I've been cycling to work for 12 years. In that time, I was driven once (about 8
    years ago) after an accident meant I couldn't reach the handlebars without worrying about the wound
    opening (next day, after I'd had it stitched and it had had 24 hours of healing I was OK). If I'd
    had the recumbent tricycle then, I'd have ridden it one-handed.

    Are you expecting your challenge to reach a conclusion within (say) 10 years?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  5. [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here in Chicago, there is a yearly media "commuter challenge" in which the Mayor's office gets
    > together local media "celebrities" (their word, not mine) from TV, radio, etc. and they race them
    > against cars on a short commute, to prove that biking is preferable to cars.

    We had a similar event to this from this town to the neighboring town last month in which 2
    e-bikes won.

    > Bike to Work Day is a start, but we can do more. In order to prove that bicycling is a real
    > transportation option, Seth Jayson, of Windy City Sports, is throwing down the gauntlet for a true
    > commuter challenge.

    Although this is a tourist and college/university town; I am one of a growing number of retirees.
    Bike have been my transportation way before 'bike 2 work' began. Terrific start, but the thought of
    bike to work only makes me cringe!

    Best of luck Seth!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA

  6. One was held here in London a few years ago. I am given to understand that Kingcyclist Paul Craig
    was at home and relaxing in the bath before the bus had even arrived at the start.

    One in Aberdeen (Scotland) a few years ago was also won by a Kingcycle, this one with Dave "The
    Dentist" Fyfe at the helm, while Gerrit Govaerts reported in March last year that:

    "a local newspaper here in Belgium reported about the outcome of a bet between a Ferrari driver and
    a member of a town council in a suburb of a medium (Belgian norms) sized city . The bet was all
    about who would be faster into the innercity at morning peak hour . Guess what : the bent won."

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/