Sending out a big jeer to Bryer's

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Default User, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the freezer
    bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?" Well, they
    changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-gallon package
    to 1.75 quarts.

    That pisses me off.

    The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons. I
    rummaged around until I found a few of those.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Tags:

  2. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the freezer
    >bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?" Well,
    >they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-gallon
    >package to 1.75 quarts.
    >
    >That pisses me off.
    >
    >The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons. I
    >rummaged around until I found a few of those.

    I'm noticing this more and more. Have you seen their yogurt lately? The 8 oz containers are now 6 oz
    for the same price. A rice package that I used to buy for my family used to serve 4 w/ 1/2 cup each
    serving, now serves 3 for the same size serving. oh .. and the packaging it self is the same size.
    Brownie mix ... now fits into a 8X8 pan and not the larger size like they used to ... and want to
    buy a gallon of paint ... good luck and be careful. The bucket of paint looks to be about the same
    size, just more empty space on the inside and it's a quart low. Sells for the price of the old
    gallon as well. I thought I bought a pound of mozzarella cheese a few wks ago, got it home and
    realized that the package is now 14 oz, it sold as the same price as the 16 oz package did a week
    before. It's really getting out of hand IMO. ~Kat

    What did my hands do before they held you? Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)

  3. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
    > freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?"
    > Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-
    > gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
    >
    > That pisses me off.
    >
    > The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons.
    > I rummaged around until I found a few of those.

    Maybe that's a good thing as I don't think that Breyer's or Edy's are very good as ice-cream goes. I
    find that the Meijer's store brand where I shop is less expensive, tastes better, and has a more
    pleasing texture than many of the "premium" brands. I don't know if it is due to the low fat craze
    or just a matter of cost cutting, but I have noticed that many makers have changed their formulas
    and now they are almost chalky instead of having a smooth, buttery texture. Since fat carries
    flavor, I think the seemingly lower fat ice-cream have less flavor.

  4. Djs0302

    Djs0302 Guest

    >..."hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?" Well, they changed it all right.
    >They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
    >
    >That pisses me off.

    They're not the only ones. Prego brand spaghetti sauce has gone from a 32 oz jar, a 30 oz. jar, a 28
    oz. jar, and now a 26 oz jar. Companies aren't just shrinking the packages either. They're shrinking
    the food too. Totinos pizza rolls are smaller so now the ratio of dough to filling is much higher
    than it use to be. Sure they may give you more in the bag but you're paying for more dough and less
    filling. Van de Kamps frozen breaded fish fillets are smaller too. I bought a box one time and they
    were all less than a half inch thick counting the breading. The amount of actual fish in each fillet
    was trivial. I guess breading costs less than the actual fish. I've written letters to some of these
    companies telling them their practices aren't fooling anybody and if a company continues with its
    package or product shrinkage practice I no longer buy that product.

  5. Hw

    Hw Guest

    this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
    leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
    while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
    is now 13ox - 14 oz.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. hw wrote:
    > this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
    > leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
    > while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
    > is now 13ox - 14 oz.

    Try 11 ounces.

  7. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    "hw" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
    >leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
    >while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
    >is now 13ox - 14 oz.
    >
    >Harriet & critters

    And it drives me crazy when I come up with and old recipe which calls for a "box" or "can" of
    something. I keep wondering how much I really should be using.

    --
    Susan N.

    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

  8. Default User

    Vox Humana wrote:

    > Maybe that's a good thing as I don't think that Breyer's or Edy's are very good as ice-cream goes.
    > I find that the Meijer's store brand where I shop is less expensive, tastes better, and has a more
    > pleasing texture than many of the "premium" brands.

    Byer's isn't a premium brand, it's high-end commercial grade. That means it's reasonably priced,
    especially on sale. While I don't doubt that you find that store brand to please your taste, it's
    unlikely to be pure ice cream the way Bryer's is. That means (for most of their flavors) no
    artifical additives, thickeners, guar gum, carageen, etc.

    Edy's is crap, and has all of the above.

    > I don't know if it is due to the low fat craze or just a matter of cost cutting, but I have
    > noticed that many makers have changed their formulas and now they are almost chalky instead of
    > having a smooth, buttery texture. Since fat carries flavor, I think the seemingly lower fat ice-
    > cream have less flavor.

    I don't think Bryer's has made any formulaic changes to their standard ice cream.

    Brian Rodenborn

  9. Margaret Suran wrote:

    > hw wrote:
    >
    >> this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
    >> leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
    >> while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new
    >> size is now 13ox - 14 oz.
    >>

    > Try 11 ounces.

    OOPPSS!!! Too late. Now it is 10.5 ounces, at least for the can of Chase and Sanborn in my cupboard.
    Same old price, of course,

  10. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    DJS0302 wrote:

    > >And it drives me crazy when I come up with and old recipe which calls for a "box" or "can" of
    > >something. I keep wondering how much I really should be using.
    > >

    > I have an old cake recipe from the early 60's that calls for several 5¢ Hershey bars. I've never
    > made it because I have no idea what size candy bars they're talking about.

    Jeeeez.. well how many sizes do ya think there were about that time? Its the standard size bar, I'm
    near positive. Goomba

  11. Default User

    hw wrote:

    > this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
    > leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
    > while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
    > is now 13ox - 14 oz.

    Oh sure, I understand that, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

    Brian Rodenborn

  12. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Jarkat2002 wrote:

    > >Jeeeez.. well how many sizes do ya think there were about that time? Its the standard size bar,
    > >I'm near positive. Goomba
    >
    > I bet the standard size bar from the 60's is nearly twice that of the 00's. ~Kat

    I don't think so. They look about the same to me. I suppose a quick email to Hershey's would find
    the answer. Goomba

  13. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Jarkat2002 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m29.aol.com... [snip chocolate bar price index]
    > 1986.....1.45 oz.....40 cents 1986.....1.65 oz.....40 cents
    > [1991] .45

    Those prices seem a little low -- even for 13 years ago.

    The Ranger

  14. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "DJS0302" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : >And it drives me crazy when I come up with and old recipe
    which calls
    : >for a "box" or "can" of something. I keep wondering how much
    I really
    : >should be using.
    : >
    :
    : I have an old cake recipe from the early 60's that calls for
    several 5¢
    : Hershey bars. I've never made it because I have no idea what
    size candy bars
    : they're talking about.
    ==========

    Gosh, I don't have any around to look at - but it's the "normal" size bar that you get near the
    check out stand... Not King Size... hmmmm, I don't even know how much candy bars cost any more - I
    buy them in the multi-packs or when they're on sale at 3 or 4 or $1. I dunno - what are they, about
    $0.69 - $0.75 now?

    I can remember when candy bars jumped from a nickel to a dime and I was outraged! Then to .15 ,
    .20 and up...

    Chocolate is a necessity of life - and should remain affordable! Down with price increases!
    Boycott!!!

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  15. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Cyndi, of the Rick & Cyndi Tagteam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s04... [snip]
    > : I have an old cake recipe from the early 60's that calls for several 5¢ Hershey bars. I've never
    > : made it because I have no idea what size candy bars they're talking about.
    > :
    > Gosh, I don't have any around to look at - but it's the "normal" size bar that you get near the
    > check out stand... Not King Size...

    I don't remember seeing anything labeled "King" size until around the 80's and into 90's.

    Probably the easiest way to judge the amount of chocolate necessary is in 1/4 cup intervals.
    Purchase one of the "supersize" candy bars (usually in the bulk candies aisle) and melt it down and
    then test it out. A two-cake learning curve. :)

    The Ranger

  16. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Jarkat2002 <jarkat20[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Those prices seem a little low -- even for 13 years ago.
    > >
    > I thought the same thing ... seems like I remember a candy bar being 60 cents around then ..

    My excuse is that I live in the PRC -- where [almost] everything costs more.

    > diet wars...

    Heh. I was still on the See-Food Diet at that point in my Real Life® so they were very much a part
    of my diet...

    The Ranger

  17. PURE ice cream...Bryer's.....hmmm...I always thought it had so much air it would float.....hate the
    stuff myself.... for me the test of PURE ice cream is in the ingredients listed nad whether it
    seperates to a foamy mess and water when it gets melted....just my two cents worth....of the
    commercial ice creams I only eat Hagen Dasz or Ben and Jerry's....there is a wonderful place near
    me(amzingly enough!) that makes their own and boy is it ever wonderful...full 12% butterfat etc
    etc....i lived on it for quite a while...now i pay bigtime for being so undiscipled.lol.....LG

    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Vox Humana wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe that's a good thing as I don't think that Breyer's or Edy's are
    very
    > > good as ice-cream goes. I find that the Meijer's store brand where I
    shop
    > > is less expensive, tastes better, and has a more pleasing texture than
    many
    > > of the "premium" brands.
    >
    > Byer's isn't a premium brand, it's high-end commercial grade. That means it's reasonably priced,
    > especially on sale. While I don't doubt that you find that store brand to please your taste, it's
    > unlikely to be pure ice cream the way Bryer's is. That means (for most of their flavors) no
    > artifical additives, thickeners, guar gum, carageen, etc.
    >
    > Edy's is crap, and has all of the above.
    >
    > > I don't know if it is due to the low fat craze or just a matter of cost cutting, but I have
    > > noticed that many makers have changed their formulas and now they are almost chalky instead of
    > > having
    > > smooth, buttery texture. Since fat carries flavor, I think the
    seemingly
    > > lower fat ice-cream have less flavor.
    >
    > I don't think Bryer's has made any formulaic changes to their standard ice cream.
    >

    > Brian Rodenborn

  18. well, i think that's about right...of course in gas stations and some grocry stores candy bars are
    always higher...around her Walmart sells candy anywhere from 33 to 44 cents a bar(Heershey's
    included) but the local gasstation sells the same bar for 79 cents...and a Milky Way Dark is 99
    cents. I pay it cause they are the only place that carries the milky way dark and there are those
    times when only that candy bar will do...not often anymore, thank heavens...lol... LG

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > Jarkat2002 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m29.aol.com... [snip chocolate bar price index]
    > > 1986.....1.45 oz.....40 cents 1986.....1.65 oz.....40 cents
    > > [1991] .45
    >
    > Those prices seem a little low -- even for 13 years ago.
    >
    > The Ranger

  19. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Jarkat2002 at

    >> Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
    >> freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?"
    >> Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-
    >> gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
    >>
    >> That pisses me off.
    >>
    >> The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons.
    >> I rummaged around until I found a few of those.
    >>

    > I'm noticing this more and more. Have you seen their yogurt lately? The 8 oz containers are now 6
    > oz for the same price. A rice package that I used to buy for my family used to serve 4 w/ 1/2 cup
    > each serving, now serves 3 for the same size serving. oh .. and the packaging it self is the same
    > size. Brownie mix ... now fits into a 8X8 pan and not the larger size like they used to ... and
    > want to buy a gallon of paint ... good luck and be careful. The bucket of paint looks to be about
    > the same size, just more empty space on the inside and it's a quart low. Sells for the price of
    > the old gallon as well. I thought I bought a pound of mozzarella cheese a few wks ago, got it home
    > and realized that the package is now 14 oz, it sold as the same price as the 16 oz package did a
    > week before. It's really getting out of hand IMO. ~Kat
    >

    > What did my hands do before they held you? Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)

    Yeah, that's a common marketing "trick" to raise profits without raising prices.

    Downsize the net weight without changing the size of the package, or the out of pocket. You might
    not notice it right away, that's what they hope, anyway.

    They first got away with it with coffee, I think. Remember 1 lb cans of coffee? They are now 12-
    13 ounces.

    Frustrating, isn't it?

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote:
    >I'm noticing this more and more. Have you seen their yogurt lately? The 8 oz containers are now 6
    >oz for the same price. A rice package that I used to buy for my family used to serve 4 w/ 1/2 cup
    >each serving, now serves 3 for the same size serving. oh .. and the packaging it self is the same
    >size. Brownie mix ... now fits into a 8X8 pan and not the larger size like they used to ...

    Portion sizes have been out of control. Must be a way for those benevolent companies to de-
    supersize us. ;^)

    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,590037522,00.html

    --

    Charles The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at
    when we created them. Albert Einstein