Sending out a big jeer to Bryer's

hw wrote:

> this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
> leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
> while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
> is now 13ox - 14 oz.

Juan Valdez's coffee is still 16oz.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
ter stay home."
-- James Michener

The Ranger wrote in message ...
>Jarkat2002 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040126173947.12611.00000926@mb-
>m29.aol.com... [snip chocolate bar price index]
>> 1986.....1.45 oz.....40 cents 1986.....1.65 oz.....40 cents
>> [1991] .45
>
>Those prices seem a little low -- even for 13 years ago.
>
>The Ranger

as of 2 years ago, i could still buy candy bars for that price at the drugstore where i worked.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:59:48 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<[email protected]> wrote:

(Someone wrote)

>>> Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
>>> freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the
>>> package?" Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-
>>> sized the half-gallon package to 1.75 quarts.

>Yeah, that's a common marketing "trick" to raise profits without raising prices.
>
>Downsize the net weight without changing the size of the package, or the out of pocket. You might
>not notice it right away, that's what they hope, anyway.
>
>They first got away with it with coffee, I think.

5- and 10-cent Hershey bars did this waaay back when. Apparently the cost of their ingredients was
quite volatile, so rather than change the price, they just resized the bars. However, I believe it
wasn't *always* in a downward direction. :)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:46:08 GMT, "hw" <[email protected]> wrote:

>this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
>leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
>while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
>is now 13ox - 14 oz.
>
>Harriet & critters

I've only seen one-pound cans carry 16 ounces of coffee, but maybe that's just me...they have these
smaller 11-ounce cans though. I understand they're meant to fit in a pantry easier. But I still see
one-lb and two-lb cans at the market.

>"Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
>> freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?"
>> Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-
>> gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
>>
>> That pisses me off.

Them's the breaks. At least Breyers doesn't have tons of additives. I tried a 'store brand' not too
long ago - I forget what store - and, while being quite smooth, left something on my tongue I SWEAR
I could have scraped off with a playing card. Thickeners, smoothers, bleh. Just ice cream.

If I want to be decadent, I'll go with Ben & Jerry's. But normal everyday ice cream? It's still
Breyers. Sure, it may be whipped, but it's good nonetheless.

>> The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons.
>> I rummaged around until I found a few of those.

I think the new 1.75 qt (7/16 gallon?) container fits better in our freezer. Not a big deal, since
the price around here hasn't changed in ages.

Snater,

Blarg

"Insecure?!? I'm security personified! Everywhere I go, people
point and shout, 'Security!' They just KNOW!" -- Mike Jittlov

DJS0302 wrote:

> shrinking the packages either. They're shrinking the food too. Totinos pizza rolls are smaller so
> now the ratio of dough to filling is much higher than it use to be. Sure they may give you more in
> the bag but you're paying for more dough and less filling.

Now, that really pisses me off. I don't know who bought out Celentano, but their ravioli is now
mostly dough. As you say, who do they think they're kidding. I now buy expensive ravioli from the
butcher or the caterer. I'd rather have two good ravioli than four chewy dough balls. Celentano lost
a long time loyal customer.

nancy

In article <BC3B219D.44AF9%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen (snip)
> Yeah, that's a common marketing "trick" to raise profits without raising prices.
>
> Downsize the net weight without changing the size of the package, or the out of pocket. You might
> not notice it right away, that's what they hope, anyway.
>
> They first got away with it with coffee, I think. Remember 1 lb cans of coffee? They are now 12-
> 13 ounces.

And a two-pound box of Nabisco Honey Grahams is now 26 or 29 ounces. The box is a *little* smaller
and the crackers are a *little* smaller. Bastards.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

Blarg wrote:

> Them's the breaks. At least Breyers doesn't have tons of additives.

Argh. I just realized I've been misspelling the Breyer's name.

> I tried a 'store brand' not too long ago - I forget what store - and, while being quite smooth,
> left something on my tongue I SWEAR I could have scraped off with a playing card. Thickeners,
> smoothers, bleh. Just ice cream.

I'm just venting. I know it's been common to do this, but Breyer's has held the line for the 25
years or so that I've been buying it. It just feels like getting betrayed by and old friend, which
is silly because it's made by a big corporation.

> If I want to be decadent, I'll go with Ben & Jerry's. But normal everyday ice cream? It's still
> Breyers. Sure, it may be whipped, but it's good nonetheless.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to quit buying it, I guess. It's better than store brands and much better
(considering the money is about the same) than Edy's.

Doesn't mean I won't ***** about though, and send in a complaint to the manufacturer, for all the
good it will do.

Brian Rodenborn

Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:

> PURE ice cream...Bryer's.....hmmm...I always thought it had so much air it would float.....hate
> the stuff myself....

Any ice cream will float. It's pure because of the ingredients: cream, milk, sugar, natural add-ins.
No thickeners or stabilizers.

I prefer less dense ice creams, the super premiums are too solid for my taste.

Remember the cost difference too. Haagen Daaz or Ben and Jerry's runs about $3 per pint, while
(until recently) Bryer's was $6 for 4 pints.

Brian Rodenborn

Default User <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
> freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?"
> Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-
> gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
>
> That pisses me off.
>
> The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons.
> I rummaged around until I found a few of those.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Which store Brian? This week Edy's is on sale 3 for $10 at Dierbergs.It says 56 - 64oz cartons. The
current trend in downsizing really sucks.

Michael

Dog3 wrote:

> Default User <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some.
>
> Which store Brian? This week Edy's is on sale 3 for $10 at Dierbergs.It says 56 - 64oz cartons.
> The current trend in downsizing really sucks.

It was Dierbergs last week, Breyer's was $2.89 a carton. I ended up getting three of the remaining
half-gallon ones, although I was sad I couldn't find any of the peach in the larger cartons.

Brian Rodenborn

Just notice the local ad for Fred Meyer... Breyers... 56 oz. for $2.99 ... glad you mentioned as I
might not have notice! I hate it when companies pull that kind of ****!

hw wrote:

> this is an old trick used by food manufacturers for years. Cut down the size of the package but
> leave the price the same. The ultimate consumer does not realize the package down sizing for a
> while. When was the last time you were able to purchase a pound of coffee...I believe the new size
> is now 13ox - 14 oz.

Quoting from: http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL074.htm

Batman was not really in Superman's "world" nor was Superman in Batman's. There was plenty of room
for them to have their solo tales and also back-up stories of other DC heroes, like Johnny Quick and
Zatara, since the comic was 96 pages when it started. As costs went up over the years, they
diminished its page count, usually by dropping or trimming the back-ups.

(That was how they did it back when comics were a dime and costs went up; instead of raising the
cover price, they dropped pages. Finally, in the mid-fifties, they got down to thirty-two pages plus
covers. Since printing/binding requirements dictate that the interior page count must be a multiple
of sixteen, that was about as thin as they dared slice it. The next step down was the sixteen-page
comic...too fragile to survive the rigors of distributors' trucks. So they kept comics at thirty-two
pages and invented the price increase.)

dutchovenguy wrote:
> Just notice the local ad for Fred Meyer... Breyers... 56 oz. for $2.99 ... glad you mentioned as I
> might not have notice! I hate it when companies pull that kind of ****!
>>
>> The weird thing is, they apparently just did this because the bin still had some 2 quart cartons.
>> I rummaged around until I found a few of those.
>>

>> Brian Rodenborn

The two I bought yesterday are still half gallon. They've been doing hte short weight on some of the
newer flavors for some time now. I'll have to watch in the future.

--
Ed [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:47:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <BC3B219D.44AF9%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen (snip)
>> Yeah, that's a common marketing "trick" to raise profits without raising prices.
>>
>> Downsize the net weight without changing the size of the package, or the out of pocket. You might
>> not notice it right away, that's what they hope, anyway.
>>
>> They first got away with it with coffee, I think. Remember 1 lb cans of coffee? They are now 12-
>> 13 ounces.
>
>And a two-pound box of Nabisco Honey Grahams is now 26 or 29 ounces. The box is a *little* smaller
>and the crackers are a *little* smaller. Bastards.

and i hear they're leaving elephants out of animal crackers.

your pal, blake

In article <[email protected]>,
Default User <[email protected]> wrote:
>Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the freezer
>bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?" Well,
>they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-gallon
>package to 1.75 quarts.

Argh! I remember when Dannon did this -- dropped the size of their single-seving yogurt from 8oz to
6oz. I haven't eaten one since.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The longer you go, the more the music gets into the walls."

- Muddy Waters

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:22:39 GMT, Default User <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm just venting. I know it's been common to do this, but Breyer's has held the line for the 25
>years or so that I've been buying it. It just feels like getting betrayed by and old friend, which
>is silly because it's made by a big corporation.

I go by the Sealtest/Breyers factory every day on the way to work. Always wanted to check it out,
but never got around to finding out exactly how to get to their place. I wonder if they give away
free ice cream a la Ben & Jerry's?

>Oh yeah, I'm not going to quit buying it, I guess. It's better than store brands and much better
>(considering the money is about the same) than Edy's.

I like their mint chocolate chip... Oh, my fave is French Vanilla, methinks.

>Doesn't mean I won't ***** about though, and send in a complaint to the manufacturer, for all the
>good it will do.

You never know!

Have you ever had saffron ice cream? If you like saffron, you'll LOVE the flavor. Something to try:
Melt some (about a pint) good pistachio ice cream so it's soft but not runny. Take a couple
tablespoons of very hot/boiling water in a small bowl and add a pinch of saffron. Let the hot water
play with the saffron, making a nice yellow water. (It's MUCH cheaper to get saffron at an Asian
market - $30/ounce rather than the $400+/ounce you pay at a supermarket.) Add the saffron/water to
the pistachio ice cream, mixing thoroughly. Put the ice cream back into the freezer or use a home
ice cream making machine to refreeze it. Wonderful.

blake murphy wrote:

> and i hear they're leaving elephants out of animal crackers.

Has PETA condemned animal crackers yet...???

--
Best Greg

>>Breyer's ice cream was on sale last week, so I went to get some. As I pulled one out of the
>>freezer bin, I thunked to myself, "hey, the carton seems different, did they change the package?"
>>Well, they changed it all right. They have emulated the evil one (Edy's) and down-sized the half-
>>gallon package to 1.75 quarts.
>>
>>That pisses me off.

In principle I have to agree with you that putting less in the package is a sneaky way to raise the
price. But in practical use for me, this won't make any difference and might even make me buy their
product more.

Haagen Dasz, Ben & Jerry's and Breyer's are the only ice creams around here that I can buy in the
supermarket that don't have additives. HD and B&J's are expensive and come in 1 pint containers that
we always finish before they go bad. Breyer's costs less, but we end up wasting more than half.
There's only 2 of us, and we eat tiny portions of ice cream. I always feel bad wasting food even if
it is more cost efficient to do so. (By that I mean that we might throw away half but pay less per
consumed portion than with the expensive brands.)

Look at the hullaballoo about supersized portions in fast food places. Ice cream is a high fat
luxury food. Maybe this is a good trend for the national obesity problem.

I realize ours is an unusual case, but I'll take another look at Breyer's now.

--Lia

Once Upon A Summertime, Just A Dream From Yesterday
Blarg wrote:

>Have you ever had saffron ice cream? If you like saffron, you'll LOVE the flavor. Something to try:
>Melt some (about a pint) good pistachio ice cream so it's soft but not runny. Take a couple
>tablespoons of very hot/boiling water in a small bowl and add a pinch of saffron. Let the hot water
>play with the saffron, making a nice yellow water. (It's MUCH cheaper to get saffron at an Asian
>market - $30/ounce rather than the $400+/ounce you pay at a supermarket.) Add the saffron/water to
>the pistachio ice cream, mixing thoroughly. Put the ice cream back into the freezer or use a home
>ice cream making machine to refreeze it. Wonderful.

Wow. That is *way* too much work. Gimme a root beer popsicle.

** Captain Infinity ...it's 10:00 ...do you know where your pants are?

Captain Infinity wrote:

(It's MUCH cheaper to get saffron at an
>>Asian market - $30/ounce rather than the $400+/ounce you pay at a supermarket.)

Is the saffron really the same thing? I've heard (rumor, don't know for sure) that the expensive
saffron is from the stamen of the flower and that the inexpensive saffron is the whole flower which
doesn't have the same flavor at all.

--Lia