Senior Project Cycling?

lostcause89

Jun 21, 2007
I am a high school student and need to choose an idea for the senior project.

I would like to do it on cycling, but with me being only a recreational cyclist with limited connections, I am finding it quite difficult to come up with ideas. Not only do we have to write a paper, but we also have to also come up a product.

All I can seem to manage for a topic is bicycle safety.

What class is this project for?

Science -- human powered vehicles (HPVs) are pretty interesting and technical, the physiology of cycling is also worth a look, evolution of materials used in bicycle construction, or evolution of bicycle design. Look for this book at the library or bookstore for lots of science-y ideas and info

Economics/Business -- Effects of cycling for urban transportation/commuting

Art -- you know, bicycle artsy stuff. :p

Organise a cycling event or ride for a good cause in your local community, maybe with a safety related aspect to the message "awareness of cyclists" for example. That would require planning, marketing, selling and production of a "product" (being the message/cause you are supporting).

lostcause89 said:
I am a high school student and need to choose an idea for the senior project.

I would like to do it on cycling, but with me being only a recreational cyclist with limited connections, I am finding it quite difficult to come up with ideas. Not only do we have to write a paper, but we also have to also come up a product.

All I can seem to manage for a topic is bicycle safety.

How about a dedicated bicycle commuting system to take cyclist out of harms way. In this ever changing, over populated and heavily polluted world. The bicycle shines like a beacon showing the way to a cleaner healthier population. Will we ever out grow the car culture that taxes our natural resources and creates a national economic burden as our need to fuel this culture grows … need I go on ?