Senior project cycling?

lostcause89

Jun 21, 2007
I am a high school student and need to choose an idea for the senior project.

I would like to do it on cycling, but with me being only a recreational cyclist with limited connections, I am finding it quite difficult to come up with ideas. Not only do we have to write a paper, but we also have to also come up a product.

All I can seem to manage for a topic is bicycle safety.

Any suggestions

I think I heard somewhere that single speed messenger bikes that don't use brakes, have to have them now, that could be easy to do, if there enough info on them

lostcause89 said:

I would like to do it on cycling, but with me being only a recreational cyclist with limited connections, I am finding it quite difficult to come up with ideas. Not only do we have to write a paper, but we also have to also come up a product.

Any suggestions
How about jerseys that are very high visibility but are stylish. Those orange vests I see commuters wear are Fred-like.

I have a Saunier-Duval jersey that I don't mind wearing if I intend to ride on a high traffic road. The combination of bright yellow, white, and black really stands out.

lostcause89 said:

Any suggestions
Relationship between cyclists and other road users - could write a million words on that with some ugly stories I'm sure

/k

build some trails. talk to the people who are in charge of your town and see if you can get some help. as a last resort you can build benches in your local park. good luck.

I like the bright jersey suggestion. Why not investigate the colours that stand out the most at a distance, report your research, and propose development of cycling jerseys in those colours as your product.

Personally, I think the most visible colours are pink and screaming yellow, followed closely by a bright white. Tough to find though in a form fitting jersey.

You might also want to consider if cyclist safety can be improved by riding with lights on during the day. I recently bought a very bright tail light (by Dinotte) and I'm thinking of riding with it during the day while commuting. It's so bright there can be no excuse for not seeing me when approaching, especially when it's on strobe.