Senior Running Events aka Ultras

A test of endurance at ultra-marathon
By SEAN MURPHY-Sports Writer

"Even with some sloppy trails, ideal running conditions allowed six of
the eight course records to be broken, including the 50k, which was
pulverized by 23-year-old Bay Area ultra-marathon phenom Chikara Omine
by 48 minutes (he finished in 4 hours, 5 minutes, 35 seconds), as well
as the women's 50k, by Caren Spore, 38, in 4:58:50".

http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_3657895
_________

"Pulverized"? Ya see what happens to Ultra races when more than the
"over the hill" crowd shows up. There is no "mystic" with ultras
connected to age. I suspect competive runners simply just don't bother
with them. Now? It's common to see people in their mid 40"s and up
win these things. If top runners were interested in such events, I
suspect the spectrum of finishers would reflect 10Ks, and marathons,
etc. Above shows what happens when a person in their 20's enters
these events. They summarily "pulverize" the course record.....draw
your own conclusions. Running should just be honest and come right
out and characterize and officially label, "Senior Events". It's cool
if 40+ year olds enter these events, I suppose.....but let's be honest
about the efields of such events. Is there any other way to explain
away how the winners of such events are 45 years old?

Feat accomplishers get pulverized by a 23 year old! Instead of running
sloppy trails they should be back at the Senior Center slopping down
Geritol while watching Lawrence Welk reruns.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A test of endurance at ultra-marathon
> By SEAN MURPHY-Sports Writer
>
> "Even with some sloppy trails, ideal running conditions allowed six of

i'll bet they were sloppy. i dont think they make a runner's depends.

> the eight course records to be broken, including the 50k, which was
> pulverized by 23-year-old Bay Area ultra-marathon phenom Chikara Omine
> by 48 minutes (he finished in 4 hours, 5 minutes, 35 seconds), as well
> as the women's 50k, by Caren Spore, 38, in 4:58:50".
>
> http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_3657895
> _________
>
> "Pulverized"? Ya see what happens to Ultra races when more than the
> "over the hill" crowd shows up. There is no "mystic" with ultras
> connected to age. I suspect competive runners simply just don't bother
> with them. Now? It's common to see people in their mid 40"s and up
> win these things. If top runners were interested in such events, I
> suspect the spectrum of finishers would reflect 10Ks, and marathons,
> etc. Above shows what happens when a person in their 20's enters
> these events. They summarily "pulverize" the course record.....draw
> your own conclusions. Running should just be honest and come right
> out and characterize and officially label, "Senior Events". It's cool
> if 40+ year olds enter these events, I suppose.....but let's be honest
> about the efields of such events. Is there any other way to explain
> away how the winners of such events are 45 years old?

"Sir Lancelot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Feat accomplishers get pulverized by a 23 year old! Instead of running

What about fat middle-aged, excuse makers?

> sloppy trails they should be back at the Senior Center slopping down
> Geritol while watching Lawrence Welk reruns.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pulverized"? Ya see what happens to Ultra races when more than the
> "over the hill" crowd shows up. There is no "mystic" with ultras
> connected to age.

When are you going to stop beating a dead horse? I don't think anyone
ever tried to tell you that fastest runners are doing ultra races. Add
a Mercedes or $100,000 prize and the heat will come and times will
lower. It's a niche sport where people take years to develop the
physical and mental desire to run these distances. How many kids in high
school running the 5k XC or 2 mile on the track are waiting to graduate
so they can crank out a 50k? The same for college runners.

So why didn't you jump into ultras as a younger runner and grab the
glory you seem to seeking in the twilight of your running career? Do
you feel you missed the boat? Has your youth escaped you and no trophies
on the wall for your kids to see? It's not clear you have even found a
mate yet, at least one that wants to have your children. ;)

Call them senior events or menopause clinics if it makes you feel
better. It's your classic style to approach a topic with sarcastic
disdain to titillate/provoke rather than a sincere question. The last
time I looked at an entry form they are open to everyone. If you have a
blowhard windmill that you need to tilt at, try obesity in school
because an Xbox consumes their waking hours.

I guess a narrow mind is better than no mind. :)

-DF

[email protected] wrote:

>Is there any other way to explain
>away how the winners of such events are 45 years old?

No, you're right. Like all other competitions, it's "put up or shut up" (I
think that's how it's said in the US?) ie only those who race have any
chance of winning and what they think they might do if they did turn up is
of little interest.

Again, you take a small sample and try to extrapolate it into some
cosmic justification to explain the order of the universe. While Chikara
is indeed a fine runner and has won a few local races, he is far from
dominant in the larger events. Pirates Cove had 34 finishers while a
better test might be Quad Dipsea with it's 250 runners and where Chikara
was 8th, fininishing behind several 30 somthings and god forbid, 4 40
yos, including the 48 YO winner who beat him by 23 minutes.

1 Roy Rivers 48M Mill Valley 1:01 2:03 3:10 4:14:38
2 Eric Grossman 37M Emory VA 1:00 2:03 3:07 4:18:03
3 Tim Knudsen 31M Mill Valley 1:01 2:02 3:08 4:21:25
4 Greg Nacco 45M Sausalito 1:07 2:13 3:18 4:25:14
5 Phill Kiddoo 30M Bishop 1:05 2:10 3:19 4:32:21
6 Steve Schuder 42M Duluth MN 1:06 2:13 3:23 4:36:17
7 J.P. Sulpizio 40M San Francisco 1:05 2:15 3:25 4:36:57
8 Chikara Omine 23M San Francisco 1:02 2:04 3:15 4:37:03

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of the Diablo Valley
*Running - Hiking - Nature*
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

The Trailrunner wrote:

> Again, you take a small sample and try to extrapolate it into some
> cosmic justification to explain the order of the universe. While Chikara
> is indeed a fine runner and has won a few local races, he is far from
> dominant in the larger events. Pirates Cove had 34 finishers while a
> better test might be Quad Dipsea with it's 250 runners and where Chikara
> was 8th, fininishing behind several 30 somthings and god forbid, 4 40
> yos, including the 48 YO winner who beat him by 23 minutes.

And a suspect a number of folks were planning on AR50, one week after
PC. (I think they're both in Nor. Cal.?) Wasn't sure if PC was always
that close to AR timewise, so it may not get as many runners or as many
experienced runners as AR or Stevens Creek (north or south Cal?) ? PC's
overall age distribution seemed on the young side compared with some of
the major ultras.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> And a suspect a number of folks were planning on AR50, one week after
> PC. (I think they're both in Nor. Cal.?) Wasn't sure if PC was always
> that close to AR timewise, so it may not get as many runners or as
> many experienced runners as AR or Stevens Creek (north or south Cal?)
> ? PC's overall age distribution seemed on the young side compared with
> some of the major ultras.

American river top 10

1
Uli Steidl Shoreline WA 34
1 M 30-39
5:58:21.0
7:10/M

2
Christopher Zieman Felton CA 34
2 M 30-39
6:02:25.0
7:15/M

3
Eric Skaden Folsom CA 34
3 M 30-39
6:24:36.0
7:42/M

4
Graham Cooper Oakland CA 36
4 M 30-39
6:37:39.0
7:57/M

5
John Ticer Eugene OR 49
1 M 40-49
6:41:54.0
8:02/M

6
Mark Lantz Galt CA 40
2 M 40-49
6:48:37.0
8:10/M

7
Christopher Ratliff Santa Cruz CA 36
5 M 30-39
6:55:53.0
8:19/M

8
Jim Huffman Salt Lake City UT 37
6 M 30-39
7:02:10.0
8:27/M

9
Michael Cook Santa Rosa CA 35
7 M 30-39
7:03:27.0
8:28/M

10
Robert Evans Pacifica CA 39
8 M 30-39
7:12:33.0
8:39/M

In article <[email protected]>, Doug
Freese <[email protected]> writes

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Pulverized"? Ya see what happens to Ultra races when more than the
>> "over the hill" crowd shows up. There is no "mystic" with ultras
>> connected to age.

>When are you going to stop beating a dead horse? I don't think anyone
>ever tried to tell you that fastest runners are doing ultra races. Add
>a Mercedes or $100,000 prize and the heat will come and times will
>lower. It's a niche sport where people take years to develop the
>physical and mental desire to run these distances. How many kids in high
>school running the 5k XC or 2 mile on the track are waiting to graduate
>so they can crank out a 50k? The same for college runners.
>
>So why didn't you jump into ultras as a younger runner and grab the
>glory you seem to seeking in the twilight of your running career? Do
>you feel you missed the boat? Has your youth escaped you and no trophies
>on the wall for your kids to see? It's not clear you have even found a
>mate yet, at least one that wants to have your children. ;)
>
>Call them senior events or menopause clinics if it makes you feel
>better. It's your classic style to approach a topic with sarcastic
>disdain to titillate/provoke rather than a sincere question. The last
>time I looked at an entry form they are open to everyone. If you have a
>blowhard windmill that you need to tilt at, try obesity in school
>because an Xbox consumes their waking hours.
>
>I guess a narrow mind is better than no mind. :)
>

>-DF

But with a Mercedes or $100,000 prize, much more of us black runners
would contest the event, and the fact is that we have a larger gluteus
maximus than you whites, enabling us to run faster.

DNF
--

Doug Freese wrote:

> Uli Steidl Shoreline WA 34
> Christopher Zieman Felton CA 34
> Eric Skaden Folsom CA 34
> Graham Cooper Oakland CA 36
> John Ticer Eugene OR 49
> Mark Lantz Galt CA 40
> Christopher Ratliff Santa Cruz CA 36
> Jim Huffman Salt Lake City UT 37
> Michael Cook Santa Rosa CA 35
> Robert Evans Pacifica CA 39

Must change the ultra slogan from "old white guys with plenty of free
time on their hands" to "white guys with plenty of free time on their
hands." ;-)

tkb