Sensitive lady parts

TracyDL

Jan 5, 2017
This is kind of embarrassing but ever since I went on a biking vacation I've had swelling in the soft tissue area that contacts the front of my saddle. Wondering if anyone has had this experience, advice for treatment, and saddle recommendations. I've heard this called "clitoritis", but not a lot of info online. Thanks!

This is kind of embarrassing but ever since I went on a biking vacation I've had swelling in the soft tissue area that contacts the front of my saddle. Wondering if anyone has had this experience, advice for treatment, and saddle recommendations. I've heard this called "clitoritis", but not a lot of info online. Thanks!
It would be difficult to advise without seeing your bike, saddle, set-up and riding position, but ideally you want most of your weight on your "sit bones" when in the saddle - rather than on any soft tissue areas. Check the height and horizontal level of your saddle to make sure the nose isn't pointing too far upwards (which would add extra pressure when leaning forwards, on the drops for example) and have a read of this - whilst it focuses on sit bones, back, etc. the general advice might be helpful: http://www.cobbcycling.com/sit-bone-pain-2/

As other reviewers have mentioned, it is difficult to know what saddle to recommend without knowing what kind of bike/saddle you're currently on, and what riding position you favor. I know Trek Bicycle does a great job fitting people to saddles and bikes- all you have to do is swing in!

Last edited by a moderator:
As other reviewers have mentioned, it is difficult to know what saddle to recommend without knowing what kind of bike/saddle you're currently on, and what riding position you favor. I know Trek Bicycle does a great job fitting people to saddles and bikes- all you have to do is swing in!
Let me know more information. Thank you!

That must be really uncomfortable for ladies having problems like that. But there are newly designed bicycle saddles fit for ladies. I suggest you look for an ergonomic "step saddle", and as for treatment or prevention It is always best to go talk and ask for a doctor about it. I hope this helps! thank you.

Might also try some chamois butter. It helps avoid the friction between the chamois and lady parts. My wife does weekly 40-60 mile rides and has had some tenderness. Not sure exactly what parts but she started using chamois butter after I tried for some time talking her into using it. She was hesitant just because that's the way she is but once she tried it, she won't ride without it. :)

FTR, she has used a Terry Butterfly saddle, Terry Liberator, and a Specialized Lady's Dolce saddle and though all are comfy, she enjoys the Specialized the most.

Not bad considering it was $50 vs the $110 for the Terry Butterfly.:p

Well, first I think that maybe you're putting too much weight on your front part instead of your seat bones, second I recommend buying a jelly saddle or cushion one, that will allow you to be more comfy. About clitoritis, that's an inflammation on your clitoris area, so you should try to take Ibuprofen for about 3 days, maybe adding some diaper rash cream there, and stop cycling while you get over it.

This is the first time I've heard of that problem with the private part. For sure, the saddle is the culprit so maybe you have to check for a replacement. The bike shop will let you try some other saddle so you can feel if it is comfortable. I remember one time when I was using a bike that wasn't mine, there was slight pain in the groin area. That's why I stopped borrowing that bike. The seat or saddle can give you discomfort if it is not fitting to your bottom.

I think it is because of the saddle and your position when you're riding your bike. It could be a great factor because it could make you feel uncomfortable then it will give you pain. It is called "sensitive parts" of our body because we should always take precautions of doing some things that may give harm on those part. You should change your saddle that could make you comfortable and at ease, so that you will not feel any pain anymore. Also, try applying your weight through your bones on your back and not by leaning forward that could really make your sensitive part swollen. Practice and make it a habbit.