sensitive questions for the guys only

fevernova

Jul 28, 2004
I don't know how to put it but when you guys wear cycling shorts, do ya all bring your "package" up front or let it down? I find that bringing the whole "package" up front is kinda uncomfortable but the upside is that you don't get them caught in between you and the seat.....

It may sound like a stupid question but I think that it concerns all guys out there since no one would be wanting to let thier "packages" take all the abuse eh? :confused:

Yes, its very uncomfortable when even a tiny bit of scrotum gets caught between the seat and the pelvic bone. Yes its all gear retracted. :D

Definately up front.

But remeber, trail formation (one in front) for speed.

Up front, you really can't afford to let any scrotum pinching happen...ouch. I tend to go for, um, how to put this...beans on one side, frank on the other, thus avoiding any saddle bumping, squashing, etc.

NW

Let ME ask you all this, then: how many wear jocks under cycling shorts?! When you say the "package" is all up front, is that what you mean? I've done it both ways and kinda like using a jock better than not.

I wear lycra Speedos (swim wear) under my shorts with the chamios removed. The Speedos have no offending seam to rub and keep it nice and tight, just the thing for swimming and running as well.

A bit like an Avacado in a shopping bag.. :D

Taking the topic a bit further, re-adjustment on the run? I see no problems with putting the hand "down there" while stationary at the traffic lights, but where else would this be acceptable protocol? I was on the train the other day and in need of adjustment, however I resested, but thought if I had had my bike with me, then this may be considered normal or at least acceptable behaviour.

But keeping everything upfront kinda makes them go outta the pad if you know what i am saying. The chamios extends to the front of the shorts but not too much. So keeping everything upfront leaves the scrotum still being covered by the pad while your franky is now covered only by the thin lycra and when the wind blows, it get really cold there.....:eek: :D

I raise the landing gear, but one of my wheels is substantially larger than the other so I have to readjust when I'm in my TT position.

Landing gear adjustsments outside of a race environment should always be done discretly or in private.

This is only my 2nd year cycling, and I am still figuring out the whole "comfort" issue, but as my friend used to say when we roadraced motorcycles, "if you want comfort, get a mini-van". I normally just tie my hose to my knee, and make sure I tie it to my left knee, so it doesn't get stuck in any of my chainrings when I hit bumps.:D

Brizza said:
I raise the landing gear, but one of my wheels is substantially larger than the other so I have to readjust when I'm in my TT position.

Landing gear adjustsments outside of a race environment should always be done discretly or in private.
I am still new to the sport, but as my friend once told me while roadracing motorcycles..."If you want comfort, buy a mini van". I normally just tie my hose to my left knee while riding. Make sure if you do have the size to accomplish such a feat, that you use your left leg. When I first started, I used my right leg, and over some bumps, it was Fleshtool vs. Chainring...and chainring wins that battle everytime!

it's been so cold here it has not really come into play, i mean haven't we beat his package issue to death?

fevernova said:
I don't know how to put it but when you guys wear cycling shorts, do ya all bring your "package" up front or let it down? I find that bringing the whole "package" up front is kinda uncomfortable but the upside is that you don't get them caught in between you and the seat.....

It may sound like a stupid question but I think that it concerns all guys out there since no one would be wanting to let thier "packages" take all the abuse eh? :confused:

Has any manufacturer had the courage to make shorts with a fully formed cod-piece engineered into the pad? That would be the optimum solution - the equivalent of the sports bra. Don't know why this is considered such a "sensitive question"!