Sensor Mounting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Guy Goldich, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Guy Goldich

    Guy Goldich Guest

    I'm looking for the best way to mount my cycle computor sensor to the fork of my new Fuji Marseille.

    With my old bike (paint over steel) I just snugged down the cable ties untill they gripped--
    no problem.

    However, the carbon blades are very smooth and slippery. The cable ties don't really "grip" the
    carbon forks. The cable ties just seem to slide down the fork blades. I'm afraid to really use a lot
    of force to tighten the cable ties down for fear of scratching the blade surface. In addition, the
    blades of the carbon fork are very wide at the top, probably a good 1.5 to 2 inches...makes it
    ungainly to use cable ties.

    I was thinking about using black electrical tape. It's grippy and would not clash too badly with the
    black carbon fork blades. Are tape adhesives compatible with the carbon fork surface?

    Does anyone have alternate ways for mounting their sensors?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Guy Goldich wrote:
    > I'm looking for the best way to mount my cycle computor sensor to the fork of my new Fuji
    > Marseille.
    >
    > With my old bike (paint over steel) I just snugged down the cable ties untill they gripped--no
    > problem.
    >
    > However, the carbon blades are very smooth and slippery. The cable ties don't really "grip" the
    > carbon forks. The cable ties just seem to slide down the fork blades. I'm afraid to really use a
    > lot of force to tighten the cable ties down for fear of scratching the blade surface. In addition,
    > the blades of the carbon fork are very wide at the top, probably a good 1.5 to 2 inches...makes it
    > ungainly to use cable ties.
    >
    > I was thinking about using black electrical tape. It's grippy and would not clash too badly with
    > the black carbon fork blades. Are tape adhesives compatible with the carbon fork surface?
    >
    > Does anyone have alternate ways for mounting their sensors?

    Better than electrical tape (or the usual supplied rubber strips) is self amalgamating rubber tape
    (the kind of stuff that electricians and plumbers use). It doesn't have any adhesive and is more
    grippy. Cable ties work well with this on my carbon forks and they can be pretty tight without
    damaging the blades. Black cable ties neatly positioned look fine. The tape is also good for
    handlebar accessories.

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    >> Does anyone have alternate ways for mounting their sensors?
    >
    > Better than electrical tape (or the usual supplied rubber strips) is self amalgamating rubber tape
    > (the kind of stuff that electricians and plumbers use).

    note. Stretch before applying.

    ~PB

  4. > With my old bike (paint over steel) I just snugged down the cable ties untill they gripped--no
    > problem.
    >
    > However, the carbon blades are very smooth and slippery. The cable ties don't really "grip" the
    > carbon forks. The cable ties just seem to slide
    down
    > the fork blades. I'm afraid to really use a lot of force to tighten the cable ties down for fear
    > of scratching the blade surface. In addition, the blades of the carbon fork are very wide at the
    > top, probably a good 1.5 to
    2
    > inches...makes it ungainly to use cable ties.

    You might consider using a bit of the double-sided padded adhesive tape underneath the sensor. That
    should keep it from wanting to slide around, and the padded style helps to keep all surfaces in
    contact with adhesive. Then just use the zip ties, which should work just fine.

    Don't worry about the adhesive causing trouble with a carbon fork. Carbon fiber is basically inert
    until you get it to a high-enough temperature that the epoxy resin starts to break down. Some
    solvents could cause trouble, but it's not likely to be the case with anything you'd use on a bike
    (or found in an adhesive). In any event, you're not actually making contact with carbon, but rather
    a clear coat or paint over the top of it. You'd have to damage that first before you even get to
    the carbon.

    "Guy Goldich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for the best way to mount my cycle computor sensor to the fork of my new Fuji
    > Marseille.
    >
    > With my old bike (paint over steel) I just snugged down the cable ties untill they gripped--no
    > problem.
    >
    > However, the carbon blades are very smooth and slippery. The cable ties don't really "grip" the
    > carbon forks. The cable ties just seem to slide
    down
    > the fork blades. I'm afraid to really use a lot of force to tighten the cable ties down for fear
    > of scratching the blade surface. In addition, the blades of the carbon fork are very wide at the
    > top, probably a good 1.5 to
    2
    > inches...makes it ungainly to use cable ties.
    >
    > I was thinking about using black electrical tape. It's grippy and would
    not
    > clash too badly with the black carbon fork blades. Are tape adhesives compatible with the carbon
    > fork surface?
    >
    > Does anyone have alternate ways for mounting their sensors?
    >
    > Thanks!

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Guy Goldich wrote:

    > I'm looking for the best way to mount my cycle computor sensor to the fork of my new Fuji
    > Marseille.
    >
    > With my old bike (paint over steel) I just snugged down the cable ties untill they gripped--no
    > problem.
    >
    > However, the carbon blades are very smooth and slippery. The cable ties don't really "grip" the
    > carbon forks. The cable ties just seem to slide down the fork blades. I'm afraid to really use a
    > lot of force to tighten the cable ties down for fear of scratching the blade surface. In addition,
    > the blades of the carbon fork are very wide at the top, probably a good 1.5 to 2 inches...makes it
    > ungainly to use cable ties.
    >
    > I was thinking about using black electrical tape. It's grippy and would not clash too badly with
    > the black carbon fork blades. Are tape adhesives compatible with the carbon fork surface?
    >
    > Does anyone have alternate ways for mounting their sensors?

    Use a small rubber strip between the zipties and the shiny finish. Works well.