Sentence Imposed for Killing Cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Feb 3, 2006.

  1. mrbubl

    mrbubl Guest

  2. gds

    gds Guest

    Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
    > The family did not push for jail time, and publicly forgave the driver.
    > Hard for the prosecution to push for jail time when that happens.
    >
    > Personally, I don't think anyone with a "history of strokes" has any
    > business ever having a valid driver's license again, but if the culprit
    > can make some impact on others through the cycling-oriented community
    > service the judge ordered, then this was not completely for naught.

    This is a really hard area to define. There are all sorts of
    conditions, including simply aging, that have some impact of driver
    effectiveness (safety). Yet, for many being able to drive is a key
    componenet of living an independent life. My father is 86, has had a
    couple of strokes, and to my mind should not have been driving for the
    past 15 years.
    But he hasn't had any accidents, and since he doesn't ever speed,
    doesn't dring alcohol and doesn't use recreationa drugs it isn't clear
    that even with his reduced reflexes and eysight that his driving is as
    risky as some younger and "fitter' drivers.

    However sad it is the fact is that there are true accidents, in the
    sense that while mistakes may have been made they were not intentioanl
    and the underlying behavior was not reckless. And I think society has
    to deal with those differently from situations with underlying bad
    behavior.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    --

    __o Kristian Zoerhoff
    _'\(,_ [email protected]

  4. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    gds wrote:
    > Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
    >
    >>The family did not push for jail time, and publicly forgave the driver.
    >>Hard for the prosecution to push for jail time when that happens.
    >>
    >>Personally, I don't think anyone with a "history of strokes" has any
    >>business ever having a valid driver's license again, but if the culprit
    >>can make some impact on others through the cycling-oriented community
    >>service the judge ordered, then this was not completely for naught.
    >>

    > This is a really hard area to define. There are all sorts of
    > conditions, including simply aging, that have some impact of driver
    > effectiveness (safety). Yet, for many being able to drive is a key
    > componenet of living an independent life. My father is 86, has had a
    > couple of strokes, and to my mind should not have been driving for the
    > past 15 years.

    Here in Ontario, Canada a person with a history of strokes would
    probably get a suspended-medical on their licence. My father-in-law has
    COPD and they suspended his licence for medical reasons.